The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Options

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,448 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Forgot to say - 24/21 for me today please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »
    I owe a great many good things in my life to MSE.

Me too! Not the least of which is giving up the booze, taking control by decluttering and flying in the house, having a Panasonic breadmaker and on and on and on.

I always have my maximum allowance from the library and am now ploughing my way through social science and political stuff. I've taken to reading the first and last chapters and then reading the chapter titles before ploughing through from front to back and it's certainly helping me understand things without boring me to death. Unfortunately for me when I went to Dartington's Ways with Words in the summer (ex-booze money - I'd forgotten about that splurge and it'll happen annually from now on) I was so inspired by some of the speakers I ended up buying several books. For the first time in my life I now have a little shelfie of unread paperbacks - I've never, ever done that before.

I've put on a whole kilo! Why this happens is beyond me - I eat like a pig, nothing goes on, the following week the scales shout, 'Ouch!' when I step on them. Better rein it in rather savagely.

25/30 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Declaring early for tonight on 9/10 please Shaggy
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'd love my home Cathy. We have books floor to ceiling! :)Unfortunately, the vast majority belong to my DH as I have a strange relationship with reading that I can't seem to get out of. I spent much of my professional life reading papers and journals and government edicts so novels ended up being either holiday or bedtime reading. I now can't seem to read for pleasure unless I'm either in bed or on a sunlounger. I read my newspaper in bed every morning and have been known to go to bed early (or even for an hour or two) when I want to read a book.

I need a complete rethink of how I spend my leisure time at home. I'm falling out of love with both radio and television. I tend to record/catch up specifically what I want to watch and while I used to have the radio on permanently now I'm channel hopping or switching it off frequently when presenters irritate me. I need to investigate iplayer for radio so I can be selective there too.

Sorry to go so much off topic. Maybe planning what to do with leisure time at home is a spin off of being AF!:D

No plans to drink this evening.

13 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    19/25 AFDs today
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Thanks for the good wishes HB and Maman, had a chilled day which did involve bubbles, and I'm suffering a bit today and can't claim an AFD. Calling in early as I won't be drinking tonight. Flight tomorrow, which I find a bit difficult.

1 more AFD for the tally Shaggy for tonight.
    Arkers x
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CuppaTea wrote: »
    Good news, after years of being on my own, I've met someone. Can't believe it, it's very new. But we decided tonight to give it a go.

DKZaDFNUIAIPUoz.jpg
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    Options
    September 2017

herbst0015.gif= 7 Days AF

thumbs_up_smiley.gif= 14 days AF

Smilies_Bananas_ChristmasDancing.gif8CQgb2mkiIjrD5QXE4a1XWPiYIwvLvTgCzyw9l4c6TIzsgB9XkRNIw==.gif= 21 days AF

DancingGrape.gif= 28 days AF

cloud9.gif= 31 days AF

kicking.gif= Target Achieved

dancegirl2.gif= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers 16/TF herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif
    Barny1979 19/25herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif
    CathyBird 24/21herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif8CQgb2mkiIjrD5QXE4a1XWPiYIwvLvTgCzyw9l4c6TIzsgB9XkRNIw==.gif
    CuppaTea 16/18 herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif
    Eltee 10 /18herbst0015.gif

ElusiveLucy 7/10 herbst0015.gif

GintotMelinda 3/TF
    Honey Bear 25/30 herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif8CQgb2mkiIjrD5QXE4a1XWPiYIwvLvTgCzyw9l4c6TIzsgB9XkRNIw==.gif
    MaggieM 7/15 herbst0015.gif
    Maman 13/10 herbst0015.gif

Nicnak /15

Poor Single Lady 17/24 herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif

Pricey
    /20

PurpleMumof2 5/10
    Shaggy 17/21
    herbst0015.gifthumbs_up_smiley.gif

StepUpToThePl8 3/5

StichyWitchy 1/15
    SukeyBoo
    9/10herbst0015.gif
    Tallyhoh 12/30herbst0015.gif
    WBF 13/21herbst0015.gif

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
  • shaggydoo
    Options
    Roll up, Roll up. A New Month, A New Challenge.
    march-easter-eggs.pngaug-13-estonian-summer-sun-preview.pngHello-October.jpg
    SET A
    Target_logo.jpg
    31 days up for grabs!

Everyone Welcome!!!
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    31 days AF for me please in October
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure