Unlocking EE phone - Help!

TheMsTeal
TheMsTeal Posts: 331 Forumite
First Post
Hi All: I'm trying to unlock an EE mobile, I know it's now supposed to be free, however the prob is the EE number needs to be registered and in order to do that I would need to top-up, which rather defeats the object! Does anyone know a way I can register my EE number WITHOUT topping up?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you tried installing the EE app or using 'My EE' online to sign up / register?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • TheMsTeal
    First Post
    Yes I tried to register online, but as I said, they require the phone to have been topped up (or "active" as they describe it before they allow you to register. - it's a new unused sim.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    TheMsTeal wrote: »
    Hi All: I'm trying to unlock an EE mobile, I know it's now supposed to be free, however the prob is the EE number needs to be registered and in order to do that I would need to top-up, which rather defeats the object! Does anyone know a way I can register my EE number WITHOUT topping up?

Did you know EE have a website that actually has the correct procedure written in a handy “how to”?
    The cost of unlocking your device depends on whether you’re on pay as you go, pay monthly or you're a Non EE customer.

Pay as you go

If you’re on pay as you go, you can unlock your phone as soon as you get it, as long as it’s locked to EE, Orange or T-Mobile. Your pay as you go account must be registered with your details for us to unlock a pay as you go device. Register or manage your account >

You must also ensure the device has not been reported as lost or stolen.

There are no charges for unlocking for pay as you go devices bought from EE and our indirect partners. We’ll need to check other devices to confirm where and when they were bought. Pay monthly devices used on pay as you go will be subject to pay monthly rules and checks.

Pay monthly

If you’re on pay monthly, you need to have had the device you require to be unlocked for at least six months before you can have it unlocked. After that six months, if you’re within contract, the cost to unlock your device is £8.99. This charge will be applied to your account once the unlock code has been provided and will show on your next bill.

There are no charges to unlock your device once you’re out of contract with your device.

To be eligible for unlocking you must:

be the account holder for this device and phone number
    have had the device you require to be unlocked for at least six months
    ensure your bill has been paid and your account is up to date
    ensure the device has not been reported as lost or stolen
    Small Business

As a Small Business customer you need to have had the device you require to be unlocked for at least six months before you can have it unlocked. After the six months - both in and out of contract - the charge is £8.99.

Non EE Customer (Second-hand devices)

If you’re on pay monthly and you've bought a second-hand device, you won’t be able to unlock the device using our online form.

If you're not with EE, Orange or T-Mobile, but have a device locked to EE, please call us on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4). We can unlock most devices for £8.99. It will take 10 days to unlock the device after the request has been submitted.

http://ee.co.uk/help/getting-started/joining-ee/unlocking-your-device
    ====
  • TheMsTeal
    First Post
    Thanks for your reply, but I would still have to pay - I wanted to know if anyone had a sneaky way of doing it without paying!!!
  • d123
    Thanks for your reply, but I would still have to pay - I wanted to know if anyone had a sneaky way of doing it without paying!!!

It’s quite clear, free unlocks are only in the circumstances mentioned, they don’t apply to you in this instance.
    ====
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you buy a phone on a network you usually get it at a cheaper price than a sim-free phone, and for that benefit you have to top up with the network. So just top up your £10 and then happily unlock it for free.

At least you don't need to use it for a set amount of time like you used to have to do.
  • d123
    mac.d wrote: »
    If you buy a phone on a network you usually get it at a cheaper price than a sim-free phone, and for that benefit you have to top up with the network. So just top up your £10 and then happily unlock it for free.

At least you don't need to use it for a set amount of time like you used to have to do.

Unless they notice (and it sounds like they check) that the new sim being used to request the unlock isn’t the original sim that was issued with the phone.
    ====
  • TheMsTeal
    First Post
    Thanks, yes that looks like its going to be the cheapest way of doing it.
  • TheMsTeal
    First Post
    I think it is the phone they check - they ask for the IMEI, seems like sim is incidental as long as it is topped up - hence my original question. Thanks for your reply anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think it is the phone they check - they ask for the IMEI, seems like sim is incidental as long as it is topped up - hence my original question. Thanks for your reply anyway.

I can't see it anywhere but what is the phone (make & model), there's frequently free unlock methods out there or of course you could try ebay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure