🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Housing Benefits

Options
I am planning on renting a place of my own - can you tell me roughly what is the maximum you can earn before you are not eligible for HB?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    This is one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions ...

How old are you? Will you be living on your own? Where do you live?

It depends on so many factors.

Forgot to say ...

Welcome to MSE! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • newbie29
    newbie29 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Im 29, living in Paisley and yes I will be living on my own
  • dmg24
    Options
    In that case, you need to look here:

http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/ilwwcm/publishing.nsf/Content/Navigation-fit-CouncilTaxBenefitandHousingBenefitHomepage

There is a calculator on there that will let you play about with some figures.

The council may say that your rent is too high, and then even if you are entitled to full HB you will only be eligible for the amount that will cover what they deem to be a fair rent for your area (known as the 'eligible rent').

Could I ask how much you do earn, and approx how much the rent is that you are looking to pay?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • newbie29
    Options
    I earn roughly 1120 ans can only pay 350 a month but will only have pennies left after that.
  • dmg24
    Options
    Is £1120 after tax and NI?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • newbie29
    Options
    yes it is, why?
  • minimadtrix
    minimadtrix Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    newbie29 wrote: »
    I earn roughly 1120 ans can only pay 350 a month but will only have pennies left after that.

Its worth knowing that if you earn less than 15k a year, you'll be entitled to Working Tax Credits. This then opens up further help with Housing Benefits and Council Tax Benefits.
  • newbie29
    Options
    I earn more than 15,000 a year though
  • dmg24
    Options
    I doubt you will get help towards housing costs if you earn over £15000! TBH I thought that you had meant to put £11200 rather than £1120 (with £11200 as your annual salary).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Scarlett1
    Scarlett1 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Options
    newbie29 wrote: »
    I dont think you would get any housing benefit, even after taking out £350 per month you would still have over around £770 per month which is £190 per week to play around with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport