And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Options

Comments

• pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi PP

I'm new here and have been reading your thread! You are amazing, I have already picked up lots of tips. Can I ask - do you go to the shops every day for food or do you meal plan and go once a week? Our grocery shop is huge, partly because I have health issues and can't eat anything with wheat or gluten in it or potatoes - which sucks massively lol, this is where I'm going to start saving money though if I can.

Hiya :wave:

Good luck with your money saving :). I meal plan either weekly of two weekly and then shop from a list to avoided impulse buys. I avoid top up shops if I possibly can as they mount up horribly.
    Have a look at the grocery challenge on the os thread - it's brilliant :)
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • pinkypig
    Options
    Evening :wave:

I've had a lovely day:D. I woke a out 7 which feels like a good lie in these days and took a coffee back to bed and read for half an hour and then went for a run . The rest of the day was playing domestic catch up.

Today's small steps to success and freedom included;

Drank enough water

Had a couple of hours with dd :D

Hoovered

Did a load of laundry and almost got it dry on the line. It's currently in front of the woodburner so it'll be dry in the morning. Couldn't resist lighting the stove as it's been really chilly.

Made spicy chilli bean soup and hm flatbread for lunch

Made a yummy and bargainous roast dinner with a ys leg of lamb and invited mum round.

Prepped all the free apples

Lunches ready for tomorrow

Had a couple of hours with my feet up

Coloured my roots with half a HB hair colour which was 50p well spent as I was looking a bit badger like :o

The car never got cleaned and the garden still needs cutting back but it 'll keep!

Mortgage totals tomorrow:):). Can't wait (saddo that I am :p)

Happy Sunday to you:)

PP xx
  • pinkypig
    Options

Work has suddenly gone nuts! I've had two days of early mornings and late nights so I'm hoping things will slow down a bit soon.
    Today has been busy but good and it literally flew by :). I feel really tired tonight so it'll be a quick update.

Small steps to success and wellbeing included;

Drank enough water

Spin class

Cheap healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo chilli for lunch and ham and mushroom risotto for dinner)

£4.15 grocery spend on 8 pints of milk, 3 bags of rocket, cooking bacon, gravy granules, 4 pouches of curry sauce and a farmhouse loaf:money:

I'm going to try and do my month end figures tomorrow:o

Happy Tuesday to you :)

PP xx
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,540 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    PP - what an amazingly low grocery spend - was some of that yellow stickered finds or do you just have really good grocery stores in your neck of the woods?;):D
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • pinkypig
    Options
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    PP - what an amazingly low grocery spend - was some of that yellow stickered finds or do you just have really good grocery stores in your neck of the woods?;):D

Hi RT :wave:

I did a huge veggie batch cook before I went back to work which has provided over a month's worth of dinners and lunches :money: I've still got quite a few left too so hoping October will be lowish. I did batten down the hatches in September though as income has been down and that always stresses me and makes me focus.
    My local Asda does do fab reductions to 10p if you time it right. I never pay more than 10p for bread :D:D

Hope you and OH are ok :):)
  • pinkypig
    Options

I've had a much quieter day:). That plus a good night's sleep has really bucked me up - I hope that lasts until Friday:rotfl:

I've finally got around to September's totals. As I got paid from from extra work I did in August they look ok despite the gap in rent :)

AVC £960/ £880. I've increased this from September as I'm meeting my OP targets consistently and this really is the most efficient way of saving for the future.

OS benefit £103.91. I love the fact that my OS pot is making an OP of over a £100 a month just by being there :).

Outstanding mortgage £98,766.12

Mortgage Neutral Balance £77,076.23:j

Capital Reduction £3,081.24 :j:j

So close to been under £77k:mad: Well chuffed to be so close though:rotfl: I've smashed my 2018 capital reduction target of £15k with three months to go:j:j. This MFW malarkey is addictive!
    Sub £70k and fighting fit physically and mentally by the year end? I'm going to give it my best shot:)

Today's small steps to that particular goal were;

Drank enough water

Spin class done

Showered at the gym

Laundry done and on the airer

Cheap,healthy eats(porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch, chicken curry with rice and hm naan for dinner)

Classroom tidy, marking up to date and resources ready for tomorrow:)

Financial admin done

Off to watch a bit of tv and then bed by 10.

Happy Hump day to you :)

PP xx
  • pinkypig
    Options

Sooooo glad it's nearly Friday, it's been a good but busy and tiring week. I'm very much looking forward to the weekend:D

Today's felt relatively normal, no extras, no dramas - just ticked over nicely. Dad's doing ok and the kids are on good form so no grumbles or concerns :p

Today's small steps to success and wellbeing included;

Drank enough water

Did a long run

Load of laundry done and dry laundry folded and put away

DD hoovered and dusted :A

Cheap, healthy eats (porridge for breakfast, lo for lunch, chilli from the freezer and rice for dinner)

Painted my toenails:)

Wrapped two !ots of birthday gifts

Emptied all the bins

Tidied DS's bedroom :eek::eek: Teenagers are truly vile in this department :(

Marking up to date, classroom tidy and resources ready for tomorrow. I've also taken a new approach to assessment which is to update daily and it's not taking too long and it means I won't have a mammoth task every half term :)

A nsd

The kids are with their dad this weekend and I've no dad shifts so it's going to be very self indulgent :). Can't wait !

I'm off to watch TGBBO before having an early night.

Happy Thursday to you:)

PP xx
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,540 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy Friday!:j:j:j
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy Toenails :j:j:j
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Hazelnutty
    Hazelnutty Posts: 720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hey PP! I'm another newbie and I've been catching up on your thread. I love the way you list your small steps. It makes such a difference to actually write them down and see what you've achieved. I'm going to try to do it too - in homage!
    Choose kind:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure