PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seriously SCARY situation

Options

Comments

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The boxes had an extensive vinyl record collection; some war memorabilia (this guy is too young to have fought in any world wars); and some 1980s style hideous clothing
    Crikey... sounds like he hasn't lived in the house a while then... that's the defence.. oops. That 1980s clothing will probably end up at a fancy dress party on pished students... just hope he doesn't get an invite..lol.. and especially if they've gone retro with an old record player!
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The boxes had an extensive vinyl record collection; some war memorabilia (this guy is too young to have fought in any world wars); and some 1980s style hideous clothing

Did you ask the vendor if she wanted the boxes that had been left in the loft?

When we moved in last year, as I was cleaning the back of the kitchen cupboards, I found a butter dish and a vase. The vendor had obviously missed them. I contacted her and she came and collected them. They weren't worth anything to me but it is still common courtesy to ask.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you ask the vendor if she wanted the boxes that had been left in the loft?

Think I asked the same question but don't think it has been answered. Maybe the OP had already asked her ex to remove the box (before he went off to Dubai).
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Crikey... sounds like he hasn't lived in the house a while then... that's the defence.. oops. That 1980s clothing will probably end up at a fancy dress party on pished students... just hope he doesn't get an invite..lol.. and especially if they've gone retro with an old record player!

Eh?

I've got all of the above (although my "hideous" clothing is from the 70s) and I am here now. Some of us like to keep our memories!
  • BlessedNotStressed
    Options
    I did ask the vendors solicitors if she wanted the stuff in the attic, but I was ignored, so duly disposed of them. I might pop to the charity shop tomorrow and see if any of it is on display. Doubt anyone would have purchased any of it...lol
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,786 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2017 at 11:27PM
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Eh?

I've got all of the above (although my "hideous" clothing is from the 70s) and I am here now. Some of us like to keep our memories!
    Op sent them to the charity shop..lol.. just where students pick up fancy dress! Although given the time of year they may indeed still be there for retrieval.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    If they were that valuable they wouldn't a) have been left in the loft b) left in the care of a soon to be divorced other half for 18 months.

I would suggest that you just forget about them. The other half could have thrown them out at any time.
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    I did ask the vendors solicitors if she wanted the stuff in the attic, but I was ignored, so duly disposed of them. I might pop to the charity shop tomorrow and see if any of it is on display. Doubt anyone would have purchased any of it...lol

If you asked the vendor then that's all you can do, no one expects you to hang on to stuff for months on the chance that they'll change their mind (or that the real owner will come back). I'd say that everything needs to be done through your solicitor at the moment, if the bloke comes back demanding his stuff then tell him to contact your solicitor and close the door, you don't want to start getting in to "he said she said" over all this.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options

Did you contact them by email and do you still have that email?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • armchaireconomist
    Options
    You need to tell them what happened to the box you gave to charity. It's in no way your fault, but the sooner he knows the more chance he's going to have of reclaiming it. It's the least you could do - it sounds like there's a lot of sentimental value in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure