PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seriously SCARY situation

Options
BlessedNotStressed
BlessedNotStressed Posts: 25 Forumite
edited 21 July 2017 at 11:36PM in House buying, renting & selling
Needing some urgent advice!
My husband and I purchased our first home - we completed in February. Everything was going swimmingly and we were settling in well.........until 7am today! A strange man randomly strolled into our house, and what ensued was a hysterical fit of screaming, shouting and aggression. This guy had a key to our house! After we had all (finally!) calmed down, we asked the man in question why he had a key to our house, and what the hell was he playing at strolling in unannounced?! He claims that the house belongs to him - he seems to think that he bought it with his ex, but he went to work in Dubai for 18 months without finalising any divorce. He is insisting that he did not consent (or, therefore,sign) any paperwork permitting the sale of the property!!
My husband and I are understandably nervous now. The man said he'd be speaking to his solicitor and the police. Where do we stand? Will the house purchase be voided? Will we be forced to leave and still pay the mortgage? Can't even get hold of my own solicitor until Monday now.

Comments

• bob_bank_spanker
    Options
    Has he gone? Change the locks. Call solicitor Monday at 9!
  • BlessedNotStressed
    edited 21 July 2017 at 11:37PM
    Options
    Yes, he agreed to leave and speak to his solicitor (and the police!). My husband called his friend (who is a locksmith), and has changed the front and back door locks. I'm more concerned about the legalities of our house purchase!
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 July 2017 at 2:52PM
    Options
    are you still in touch with the solicitor/ conveyancer who handled your legal work?

unlikely that such an obvious step as not checking who the owner(s) were would have been overlooked. If co-owned also hard to imagine the vendor's solicitor would have allowed the sale to proceed without permission from all owners to be sold. The vendor's solicitor would be as much at fault in that case as your own one.

must say I'm horrified you did not automatically change the locks on day one. Such a basic thing to do.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Emergency locksmith - now - tonight.
    Solicitor 8:55 Monday morning.

...but you are sure its not a practical joke by one of the lads...?

cross post - see you already did the locks...
  • fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    Yes, he agreed to leave and speak to his solicitor (and the police!). My husband called his friend who is a locksmith and has changed the front and back door locks. I'm more concerned about the legalities of our house purchase!

What does your purchase documents say was she listed as the owner or were they both listed ?.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • BlessedNotStressed
    edited 21 July 2017 at 11:29PM
    Options
    The man said that he split up with his ex 3 years ago and went to work in construction in Dubai 18 months ago. He seems to think that he wasn't even contacted by anyone about the sale of the property - and wouldn't have agreed to it until the divorce and financial settlement were agreed and finalised.
  • fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    The man said that he split up with his ex 3 years ago and went to work in construction in Dubai. He seems to think that he wasn't even contacted by anyone about the Salem of the property - and wouldn't have agreed to it until the divorce and financial settlement were agreed and finalised.

Was he listed as a co owner on the deeds ?
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 July 2017 at 9:46PM
    Options
    Why on earth had you not changed the locks in the first week after you moved in?

Now you know one of the many reasons for doing this!

1) do you have a copy of the LR title from the conveyancng process (ie before you purchased)? Who were the named owners?

2) do you have a copy of the contract of sale? Whose names were shown as the seller(s)? Does this match 1) above?

3) do you have a copy of the current LR Title? Does it show your name(s)?

4) Once you've checked the above, you'll know if this guy has a case or not.

5) If there was a failure in the conveyancing in that one of the joint owners did not sign/agree the sale to you, the fault lies with your conveyancer who should have checked that the sale was properly formalised.

6) the police will not get involved in a civil case. However if fraud was involved, they might/will. But the fraud will have been perpetrated by his ex who may have sold the jointly-owned property without his consent (eg by forging his signature). I don't see how the police could bring any criminal charges against you.
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Very upsetting situation and I completely understand your worry, but it seems highly unlikely that such a basic thing would have been missed by both sets of solicitors.

I think it's much more likely that he thought he was the co-owner of the property, because they 'bought it together', but in fact was not on any of the paperwork.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bit late now, but for future reference and to anyone, the first thing you do on completion day is have locks changed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure