Please help, owed money, need it back!!!!

Options
MrsL2004
MrsL2004 Posts: 28 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Hi. A very long story, I'll try to make it short.
I lent £1320 to my boyfriend, who promised to pay me back. Since he was paid, and was due to start paying, he has gone completely off radar. He lives an hour away, and I have kids and can't get over there to see him. He has completely ignored all my calls and messages for 2 weeks now, and obviously has no intention of paying me back.
I have filed against him via mcol. But I already know he'll ignore it. What happens after the 14 days if he doesn't respond? The guidance is vague and this is new territory to me!!!!!
I was with him for 6 months. And I am devastated that he has done this to me!!!!
Please help, this was all my savings, and even tho I said he could borrow it until he got paid, I need it back!!!
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• MrsL2004
    MrsL2004 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ps I have evidence of all the money transfered and messages where he promised to repay it all. He doesn't have a leg to stand on, but what if he continues to ignore??
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi , Welcome to MSE - Sorry you have been done like that - He sounds like a lovely chap !!

As for getting your money back, im afraid it sounds like you have slim to no chance.
    Others may come along with ideas, but as far as i am aware, if there is no contract signed then there is not much you can do
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Hi , Welcome to MSE - Sorry you have been done like that - He sounds like a lovely chap !!

As for getting your money back, im afraid it sounds like you have slim to no chance.
    Others may come along with ideas, but as far as i am aware, if there is no contract signed then there is not much you can do
    Nonsense, verbal contracts are proven in court all the time, and here you have actual evidence in form of texts in case he attempts to defend. Of course he most likely won't, so OP will get a judgement by default for the money owed.

But that doesn't mean that you will ever see any of the money. Unless he is willing to just pay the money when judgement hits him to avoid a mark on his credit file, you will have to go to collections to retrieve it, which is expensive and may or may not work at all - if he works legally, not under the table, you may have a chance to retrieve it. Otherwise, not much. Read up on: https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/enforce-a-judgment
  • AndyPix
    Options
    Isnt it "your word against mine" though ??

What if he comes to court and claims he said no such thing, and that it wansnt him sending the texts ?

Playing devils advocate here - genuinely interested
  • carbut
    carbut Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    intreated in this my son owes me thousands and have text where he openly talks about owing money i have been told that i can take to court even without signed contract
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Isnt it "your word against mine" though ??

What if he comes to court and claims he said no such thing, and that it wansnt him sending the texts ?

Playing devils advocate here - genuinely interested
    Too much tv with that "your word against mine" talk, as this is never the case.
    You have circumstances to every situation, and those will be taken into account in each instance. We know, from the bank statement, that money was transferred - and it will be up to judge to listens to both sides of the story and figure if this was a gift or a loan. If you are a single mother, with no money to spare, why would she gift money to some dude, especially if she couldn't afford to gift it? A short loan, on the other hand, makes perfect sense. Also look at their relation history - did she give him money gifts before? If not, why suddenly spring that much money she can't afford to give? And so on and so on.

Of course, there is another side of this story, which would also be considered, so consider this as a simple example, not related to this actual situation.
  • amfan
    amfan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sadly, the lesson learned is never lend anything you aren't prepared to never see again.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    MrsL2004 wrote: »
    Hi. A very long story, I'll try to make it short.
    I lent £1320 to my boyfriend, who promised to pay me back. Since he was paid, and was due to start paying, he has gone completely off radar. He lives an hour away, and I have kids and can't get over there to see him. He has completely ignored all my calls and messages for 2 weeks now, and obviously has no intention of paying me back.
    I have filed against him via mcol. But I already know he'll ignore it. What happens after the 14 days if he doesn't respond? The guidance is vague and this is new territory to me!!!!!
    I was with him for 6 months. And I am devastated that he has done this to me!!!!
    Please help, this was all my savings, and even tho I said he could borrow it until he got paid, I need it back!!!
    Thank you in advance.

Do you have his current address?

Once you have a CCJ, wait for them to pay it, or default the judgement. In the case of a non payment of the CCJ, escalate to the High Court, and enjoy being the subject of a Channel 5 "Can't Pay" episode.

I'm only half joking, all of the above is the procedure. You need to pay a fee for escalation but if you secure a CCJ, is your best shot at getting the money back. Of course, if the guy has a clue, he'd hide his car and never let the HCEO team in, which would leave you paying for nothing, but that's the risk.

I don't need to tell you why lending money to loved ones is a bad idea, you've learned that lesson, alas! :( I hope you can get your money back.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • AndyPix
    Options
    Arleen wrote: »
    Too much tv with that "your word against mine" talk, as this is never the case. .

Except when it is

You have circumstances to every situation, and those will be taken into account in each instance. We know, from the bank statement, that money was transferred - .

Do we ? Where is this mentioned ?

and it will be up to judge to listens to both sides of the story and figure if this was a gift or a loan. If you are a single mother, with no money to spare, why would she gift money to some dude, especially if she couldn't afford to gift it? A short loan, on the other hand, makes perfect sense. Also look at their relation history - did she give him money gifts before? If not, why suddenly spring that much money she can't afford to give? And so on and so on.

Of course, there is another side of this story, which would also be considered, so consider this as a simple example, not related to this actual situation.

Without any proof of any of this though, for all we (or the judge) could know - the OP could be a crack addict and be lying about the whone thing !!

Again, devils advocate and no offence to the OP - Im just saying that i cant see this money ever being payed
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Except when it is

Do we ? Where is this mentioned ?

Without any proof of any of this though, for all we (or the judge) could know - the OP could be a crack addict and be lying about the whone thing !!

Again, devils advocate and no offence to the OP - Im just saying that i cant see this money ever being payed
    There are no cases of "word against mine", this just almost never happens in real life, by all means show me a case of that from actual court, not tv show. When you will start digging into it you will learn very quickly what verbal testimony is, and how is that handled according to law.

Transfer and text proof were literally in OPs 2nd post. Go read it.

You are not playing devil's advocate, you are just being annoying and a bit trollish + disrupting a perfectly valid thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure