PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Siebrie: do you have halogen ovens in your part of the world? I'm quite evangelical about mine. I can quickly cook small quantities without heating up the big oven.
    I have a very large halogen with an extender ring to make it extra deep. I've cooked whole chickens, duck, ribs of beef, big hams etc. I wouldn't be without mine now.

It might keep your husband in check....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00C20X8KU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515945135&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=halogen+oven&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00651T6AI/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1515945135&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=halogen+oven&dpPl=1&dpID=41NfA6eGJOL&ref=plSrch
  • shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Igamogam so sorry to hear about your furface
    Fen agree with you about halogen love love love mine and use it at least 5 times a week
    VJsmum glad you had a good hol
    Silvasaver that also made me chuckle would loved to have seen her face
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Halogen ovens: I have one of the little circular ones, and I love it too: but I'm wondering about cleaning the lid - how do people do it? Or does everyone just cover the food they put in there, if they know its going to create problems?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I love my halogen oven and use it a few times a week, can't remember the last time the 'big' oven was on, only me here so the halogen is plenty big enough.

I give the lid a wipe down whilst it's still warm, seems to clean the glass part fine, the metal bit gets so hot it will burn off anything that's lingering!
  • Fen1
    Options
    Igamogam. I'm so sorry about your furry.

Cleaning halogen lids. I have a hinged lid to save space. I just put a dab of cream cleaner ( Cif type ) on a dry sponge and very lightly rub it across the metal grill that covers the bulb. I'm more generous with the cream on the glass. Wipe off with a slightly damp cloth. That keeps everything clean without getting the bulb wet.

If mine stopped working I would definitely buy another, and the same extra large type ( Andrew James 12 litre hinged.) It's so useful for making roasts. I cook roasts regularly now. I could never be arrissed with the big oven!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Options
    Very interested to see how many of you love your halogen ovens. I bought one for the caravan but TBH hav'n't used it much. I kept it for Justin after we sold the 'van so I would be very interested in any tips/recipies that work for you time and me using my gas oven
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Fen1
    Options
    I use the halogen top rack for grilling bacon ( 250 for 7 minutes)
    Grilling burgers, top rack, ( 200 for 20 minutes)
    Fish fillets en papillote, on a plate on the low rack ( 210 for 15 minutes )
    Roasting large chicken on the bottom rack. Drizzle with oil, salt and pepper. I start cooking upside down, 220 for 30 minutes then 180 for 30 minutes. Turn the chicken over to breast side up, 220 for 30 minutes then 180 for 30 minutes ( if last half hour of cooking time required.) I always use the extender ring when cooking big pieces.

I do the upside-down then right-way-up roasting method for all meats. Works well.

Foil roasted ham also works very well.

Don't know about cakes as I never bake.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that Fen1 - your descriptions are much more accurate than the recipe books I've seen. Gonna print that off. Do you do your roasties in the HC too?
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I'd really like to get to grips with using it!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 January 2018 at 11:04AM
    Options
    If the halogen oven sparks so much joy for everyone, it's worth checking out!

This weekend we cleaned up the girls' play-and-crafts corner in the living room. I threw so much away! Right under their noses, and they didn't even notice :). Their crafts table is now empty and clean, the rabbit cage is underneath, so no longer an obstruction in the living room, and no chance of a draught for the rabbits (rabbits don't like draughts). Several books went to the attic to be passed on, lots of McD toys were thrown out, and I sorted the Dupl0 into sets after they went to bed, to see if I can sell them on and make some money. The money will go into a pot for a day out at the Efteling, the world's best amusement park (only a slight prejudice - they win many awards every year, though) and about 2hrs away from us.

I was wearing down 3 pairs of trousers, and 2 of them have developed a small hole. Now, of course, I lack trousers to replace them, and am persuading myself to wear skirts and dresses (of which I have plenty) more often. It's weird, how high of a hurdle that is.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had a Halogen oven and ended up freegling it, not because of it's capabilities or performance, they are great, but:-

I am 5ft 3 with arthritis in my hands and muscle weakness, so I found that taking the top off to move or turn something inside very difficult.

The type with the hinged lid would have been fine, but I have a small kitchen and no spare worktop without a cupboard over, so lacked the height needed to open it up.

The lack of worktop space also meant that I found it very difficult to find anywhere to put the top while I worked inside the unit without burning the worktop. I did buy quite an expensive (to me) glass worktop protector, but the other problems won out.

I was sorry to let it go and if I had a different kitchen and was minus the physical problems I would certainly buy another one:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure