PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    monna - I remember wiping my eyes at DD's school Nativity, and her teacher remarked drily that she used to cry at Nativity plays too... until she was a teacher :D

Ivyleaf, teachers are usually past tears. They can usually be found standing in a corner, silently banging their heads against the wall.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    Ivyleaf, teachers are usually past tears. They can usually be found standing in a corner, silently banging their heads against the wall.

:D When DD2 was in Reception at a different school, she was the Angel Gabriel. She had golden curls at the time, and the Head made her a gold brocade dress with big sleeves so that when she held her arms up the sleeves resembled wings. All the Mums said "Aaah!" because she looked so lovely, but she wasn't at all interested in looking lovely, just really cross at having to stand for so long with her arms up. I don't think Angel Gabriel was supposed to be glaring...
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :D When DD2 was in Reception at a different school, she was the Angel Gabriel. She had golden curls at the time, and the Head made her a gold brocade dress with big sleeves so that when she held her arms up the sleeves resembled wings. All the Mums said "Aaah!" because she looked so lovely, but she wasn't at all interested in looking lovely, just really cross at having to stand for so long with her arms up. I don't think Angel Gabriel was supposed to be glaring...

Wouldn't that be considered child cruelty :p
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Wouldn't that be considered child cruelty :p

I expect it would these days, especially as the brocade was really heavy :D This was in 1981 though.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 December 2017 at 1:18PM
    Options
    So today I appear to have entered the 'anger' stage of grief. I was under the impression that the anger was directed at the departed for... er departing... not all and sundry you meet in the shopping centre for being total absolute f**kwits.... :o

Add to that my OH fixing a new toilet seat at 5 am this morning involving the use of a HAMMER
    DS coming in at 4.00 - HAMMERED
    Christmas parcels not arriving - and trying to care
    All the cashpoints having long queues - those that didn't had no money
    The bathroom looking like a bomb has hit it - which it has, actually as my DD is into bathbombs,

AND..... And.... the imminent arrival of the mother in law who is fairly unpredictable in what she says.....

That feels a bit better...

Thinking of you, MMF and Burtha and others going through tough times.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    VJsmum can i prescribe one of these :grouphug: followed by telling whoever is most capable (DH, children, cat etc) that they are sorting out tea, and then shutting yourself into your bedroom with a glass, bottle of preferred tipple, snacks & sandwiches for later, and a good book. Oh and put a sign on the door that says "do not even think about disturbing me".
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • monnagran
    Options
    VJsmum, I can tell you why you are so angry. All the things you describe are pretty petty compared with what you are dealing with. Also, you need every bit of time and energy you can summon up, to deal with your own thoughts and your own responsibilities. All these other things are are interrupting your thoughts and sapping what little energy you have left. I think that at any other time you would be irritated and impatient, but with all your emotions so close to the surface you just want to explode.

Don't beat yourself up. Take up Floss's excellent suggestion and let everybody know that if they are looking for service as usual they are doomed to disappointment. Tell them that you need time and space to recover.

It will happen. You do whatever you need to do, the earth will keep on turning.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I expect it would these days, especially as the brocade was really heavy :D This was in 1981 though.

Oh well it would have been fine back then :cool:

A teacher threw a book at me during the 70's...:rotfl:
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • monnagran
    Options
    I've often said that if I was still teaching I'd probably be in prison by now. I used to hug children and put 'magic cream' on cuts, bruises and hurt feelings.

What is more, if it was a nice day I used to take a whole class out for a nature walk, without doing a risk assessment, and on my own.

What is even worse, (put your fingers in your ears) I have been known to aim a sharp slap at an obstreporous and out of control child, to bring them back to sanity.

I'll go and wait for the knock on the door.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    When my DD2 was in primary school Reception had to be little twinkling stars with a song of their own which involved them pointing both arms up to the right and then to the left. I was sitting near the back of the hall having only managed to get away from work just in time. I glanced behind me and there were the two Reception teachers standing on tables and energetically going through the routine, mouthing the words of the song all the while.

I started laughing, which attracted the attention of some other mums who also turned round

I think their number was the undisputed star of the show
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback