Bad Tyre fitting

Options

Comments

• Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it was a brand new tyre then I expect the fitting company will want to send it back to the manufacturer to find out exactly what went wrong. If it was a manufacturing defect then they will replace it.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    If it was a brand new tyre then I expect the fitting company will want to send it back to the manufacturer to find out exactly what went wrong. If it was a manufacturing defect then they will replace it.

thats a good point but it could be a puncture, punctures can be almost impossible to find sometimes.

If it is a puncture and it was driven on even for a short distance that could explain the bulges and it coming off the rim.

I would take the wheel back to the garage (or even another closer garage to get it inspected).

OP is it a national chain
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This has all the characteristics of a punctured tyre being driven after it goes flat.

That explains any bulge or unseating at the rim bead and the wheel damage.

Bad luck but a puncture can be picked up at any time even on a brand new tyre.

The nail or screw may no longer be in the tread - but lost on the road forever.

The tyre needs to be taken off the rim and internally inspected, but it is now damaged by having been driven.

Of course you can get a faulty tyre and if that's the case the manufacturer will replace it.

Very rarely if ever can this sort of thing be caused by incorrect fitting.

I do hope that the OP comes back to update us.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jon_WS wrote: »
    Im not looking for a sweetener, I was asking in terms of what would be acceptable to mention in my complaint - oh and I didn't carry on regardless, as I mentioned earlier I pulled over as soon as there was an issue.
    Then why ask this?
    I also have to take the day off tomorrow as I can't drive to work so is there any claim I can make on that front?

As for not carrying on regardless, your own account seems to contradict that:
    It went flat when I was driving, I pulled over and tried to pump it up to get home. It was then I noticed it was bulging in 2 areas. When I got home it was flat again after 10mins of being parked on the drive.
    I managed to get 30miles (approx) then there was a noticeably difference - when I pulled over.
    So having realised it was flat and bulging, you tried putting air into it and drove another 14 miles on it. That sounds like carrying on regardless to me.

The point is that unless the garage does something out of goodwill, you are going to have a tricky job convincing them that they are entirely at fault. It's perfectly possible you picked up a puncture and your continued driving on it is what caused the tyre to lose shape and damage the wheel. If the tyre was faulty, or fitted incorrectly, it's probably not in a great shape to be able to check that out now anyway.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you not have a spare wheel? - No, I don't even have a space saver. The tyre was virtually hanging off when it went flat- that's how the wheel got trashed I suppose :(

Yeah its basically because you continued to drive when the tyre was flat. Personally I don't know how the hell anyone does that because it is very obvious long before there is no air in that there is something wrong because it'll either pull to the side that is flat and understeer into the opposite corner that the flat is on (flat left, understeer on right hand bends) if it is on the front wheels or if it is flat on the back you'll feel oversteer on corners.

It is extremely unlikely that you'll get any joy from the damage to the wheel unless there had been an immediate sudden total deflation at speed because to a reasonable person it would have been obvious there was an issue long before the tyre got wrecked to the point the rim got damaged.
  • Jon_WS
    Jon_WS Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    So just an update, the tyre is defective, the tyre fitting company are replacing both free of charge and carrying out their own investigation with the tyre manufacturers. They are also replacing 2 wheels as they had missed a crack in the alloy before placing the tyre on it - they had a trainee carry out the job. All in all a good result and they have been really good about it. Thanks to all for your comments.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So just an update, the tyre is defective, the tyre fitting company are replacing both free of charge and carrying out their own investigation with the tyre manufacturers. They are also replacing 2 wheels as they had missed a crack in the alloy before placing the tyre on it - they had a trainee carry out the job. All in all a good result and they have been really good about it. Thanks to all for your comments.

Nice result! Sounds like a good company to deal with.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Was it a national chain or an independant
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Was it a national chain or an independant

I'll bet £100 it wasn't Kwik Fit.
  • khcomp
    khcomp Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options