PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning you mad breakfast eating lot :rotfl::rotfl::D

I must confess to having had ice cream and Reese's peanut butter cups for breakfast about 2 years ago though.......

No breakfast, weird or otherwise, today though. Lunch is going to be ???? I don't know yet as I am shamefully not yet out of bed :eek: I woke at 6am again and have finished watching the first season of Orange is the New Black :o One of the joys of living alone and pleasing myself without anyone to make me feel guilty.

Tea is the roast dinner I cba making yesterday and I'm looking forward to it.

I have sandwiches to make for work this weekend to do today and am calling in to see my parents and check Mum is ok. She rang earlier and seems to be feeling brighter so hopefully the antibiotics are doing the trick. She'll be ready to feed us all on this thread soon I would think lol.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I find meal naming complex. Not only do we have "brunch" which appeared a couple of decades ago, but is noon lunch or dinner? And is 6pm tea or dinner? And is 8pm dinner or supper? And what's that toast at 10pm - supper?

As a CFO meals don't have names. Food is eaten on the basis of fancying something, having something edible ...... time of the day doesn't come into it.

Sometimes a banana is a meal - sometimes it's a piggy snack.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I find meal naming complex. Not only do we have "brunch" which appeared a couple of decades ago, but is noon lunch or dinner? And is 6pm tea or dinner? And is 8pm dinner or supper? And what's that toast at 10pm - supper?

As a CFO meals don't have names. Food is eaten on the basis of fancying something, having something edible ...... time of the day doesn't come into it.

Sometimes a banana is a meal - sometimes it's a piggy snack.

I suspect that could be a whole thread to itself...:rotfl: I'm a breakfast first meal, lunch (mid meal) or dinner (evening meal), with the odd brunch flung in. Certainly in my family the term brunch as been used for that combi meal for as long as I can remember. We used to every month or so be invited for brunch to my Gran's on a Sunday. Anything else is a snack unless you are have a High Tea http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5589048&highlight=high+tea though when I was young dinner used to be early and before bed we had supper which was usually a hot milky drink and a biscuit or piece of toast ;)

My shopping arrived so it is chicken wings for dinner and I have some fruit in my fruit bowl that isn't just a sad apple:). I've had a notion for a while for a choux bun, I seldom fancy sweet stuff but I really fancied one so gave in and a pack of two are now in the fridge:o.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had a very late breakfast of two digestives.

I've called it a late breakfast, rather than an early lunch, so I can eat again later and call it lunch.

Later I'll be eating the rice thing I made yesterday. I learnt something from that experiment .... that I do need to use the proper soup and have more liquid.... and cook the onions first (as per original recipe) ... but it was edible and had a vague taste of "how I remembered it".
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2017 at 12:04PM
    Options
    ..and I've called those 2 biscuits - morning coffee (presuming you had coffee with them).

Yep....I recognise breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Then there's also High Tea and Afternoon Tea and Brunch.

Supper to me is something light (like a sandwich) if fancied shortly before bedtime.

Advice I'd give to foreign visitors being - if you're invited for dinner then you won't have picked up all the various nuances that help you work out whether that means lunchtime or evening meal = so you'd better ask which meal "dinner" means. If you're invited for Supper - then that means dinner (ie the evening meal), but it might be rather late of an evening.

I've never been asked for supper or "kitchen supper" yet LOL. If it's called "dinner" by my parents or some of my friends that means midday. If it's called "dinner" by other friends it means evening. It's complicated...
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,319 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is that Fage? If it is, it's my favourite by a long way, but I also find Aldi's very good at less than half the price.

No it is Robertson's, never heard of it but there it was with YS. I have heard of Fage and next time I will give it a go despite the price, sometimes price does mean something other than rip off.

Isn't the naming of meals somewhat class and geography related?

I'm breakfast, lunch & dinner. Anything else is snack

Brunch for me is a CBA to make breakfast but too early for lunch

Back to CFO, nil breakfast

Lunch toast & more kipper pate. Certainly tasty, perhaps two more lunches left in there

Popped in lidl on way to volunteering, reduced offer mushrooms & baking spuds, plus YS Chilli con Carne for one, which is very likely tomorrow's dinner

I may use some of the mushrooms for a pate next week. I have made it before and dead easy. As long as I don't do pate to death

Dinner, I think is breaded cod fillet currently defrosting and oven chips, with maybe last of the frozen peas
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a breakfast, lunch and tea person although if I'm serving up after 7pm it becomes dinner. It's also dinner if I'm eating out :) I agree with Faraway that it's a geographical thing and maybe in the past a class thing as well. A lot of people I know in the north say breakfast, dinner and tea with dinner in this case being the mid day meal.

My kids love brunch so I go with them for it. My Mum has often done brunch over the years and it was usually served around 11am - too late for breakfast but early for lunch. Randomly my daughter and youngest son call their evening meal tea (although I've noticed the youngest calling it dinner now he's in America) and my middle one calls it dinner!

This country and its etiquette is very confusing haha ;)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

I'm breakfast, lunch & dinner. Anything else is snack
    I'm the same.

It's what the meals were called when I was growing up. With the exception of a Sunday, when we had a Sunday roast which was always served about 2.00pm when dad got back from the pub, and mum always called that Sunday dinner, and then we always had tea on a Sunday about 6.00 to 6.30pm and that was usually sandwiches and cake or trifle sort of thing.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went wander about first thing this morning to Tesco for a couple of bits, and then up to Waitrose to get another packet of their Heck sausages while they are on offer because that finishes on Tuesday. There was quite a few good y/s reductions this morning but I decided that as the freezers are so full I wouldn't get anything.

I just had a banana for breakfast before I went out, and a cheese salad sandwich for lunch.

I've spent the afternoon baking and don't really feel like cooking dinner now. So I'm just going to have a grilled salmon steak, new potatoes and steamed veg. Nice and easy and not a lot of washing up :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2017 at 5:28PM
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »

This country and its etiquette is very confusing haha ;)

Tell me about it:eek:.

I've spent most of my 60 plus years living in this country and I can still find I've inadvertently wandered into a "minefield" and being deemed to have done "something wrong" and that, even when no-one bats an eyelid in another part of the country about saying/doing the exact same thing.

Gawd gimme strength...:cool:

Part of a conversation today was making comments to someone that burst out laughing and started topping them - whereas I know the exact same comments to some others would have resulted in "trouble" (I had correctly assessed there'd be understanding from the person concerned before I said them LOL).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure