PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Quiche sounds good!

I'm back from my ironing at Mum's now and have just had the beans from the fridge on 3 toasted potato cakes it was very tasty! Didn't bother scrambling any eggs after all. I've also made 8 little pots of pineapple jelly with tinned pineapple in juice added and am waiting impatiently for them to set in the fridge.

I'm not fancying a roast chicken dinner this evening but it's no problem as the chicken is a cook from frozen job so will have that tomorrow and bring tomorrows meal of frittata forward to tonight. I will add the leftover new potatoes, an onion, sliced peppers and some black olives.

Ooh CFO moment of the day yesterday was that I wanted some baguette but not a whole one (I have some of the had sized ones in the freezer but they're too big) so I sawed at the top and sides with a serrated knife while it was solid frozen then snapped it in half and it worked. I was left with 2 bits of baguette, one of which I ate and one got put back in the freezer. It doesn't take much to please me :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Reading the recent threads about measurements shows just how much we vary.

Sorry folks, I just tip some squash from the bottle in a glass, turn on tap, drink, job done

Same with powdered drinks / gravy, one teaspoon or more as I think fit does the job, if a bit weak, add more powder

Lunch was the pate, then a cheese & cuc sandwich, which once eaten I realised I did not need to have it

Very windy here, tub of Runners has blown over but no point in putting it right just to blow over again

MOT arranged. Bank is a bummer, they cant find my details over the phone, seems to have slipped down the back of the internet sofa and will have to go in the branch. Local but just a PIA for a few quid, and I just know they will want all sorts of ID and try & sell me something whilst there :(

Tried to order replacement SIM on line, another fail, problem on page.

So 2 out of 3 sodders still unresolved :mad:

Dinner, still ????? but fishy

For the organic & gluten free folk on here, Lild have offers on them this week. Another I saw was Houmous topped with Harissa. 170g 99p. Never had either of them so I will not be buying, if it was 30p I would risk it and maybe bin it after a mouthful. I'll stick to the baking spuds & mushroom offers
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never had harissa either - but I do have a gifted jar ... but I can't open it until I actually think how best to try/use it.... I'm sure I'll like it, but I do need to "do something proper" with it, rather than just opening the jar to try 1/4 teaspoon of it and popping it back in the cupboard again :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PN a question for you.

Didn't you buy something to store your potatoes in and you said it worked really well?

If I'm not imagining things, what was it and where was it from, please.

TIA :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    PN a question for you.

Didn't you buy something to store your potatoes in and you said it worked really well?

If I'm not imagining things, what was it and where was it from, please.

TIA :D
    Yes. Small plastic green bags; I bought a pack of mixed sizes from a really cheap shop (I know I didn't pay a high price as I'm too tight, probably the 99p shop before they were bought out by £land). Probably 10 reusable bags in there, so I expect them to last "for life" really .... they should outlive me, even if I get to 110.

So look in cheapo shops and market stalls selling cheapo kitchenwares.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 3 August 2017 at 6:11PM
    Options
    I've shoved some random food into the slow cooker ... which, in about 3 hours' time, might be edible.

It's just rice, onions and soup, nothing exciting. An inferior and cut down version of my favourite meal, that I've not actually made/eaten for well over 20 years... needs sausages really, but I've got none ... so I thought I'd see if I could make it in the slow cooker anyway... even though I've done it differently and used the wrong soup... I was experimenting with the process and outcome rather than trying to nail a specific dish.

I only popped out to see if £land had anything good in their 50p sale (Answer: no, not a bl00dy thing worth having). I came away having spent £6 on ... my favourite sweeties, 6 bags of crisps, toothpaste, 2 items from the 50p sale anyway and two 'magazine files' for paperwork that one day I'll decide can go into them.

Then I was off to another shop to look for something specific, which I got (non food) ...

And then I popped to L1dl for some fizzy pop and managed to buy ANOTHER six packets of crisps and some chips. The 1Kg chips are back - 63p now!! As they were 50p about 3-4 months ago, that's a 26% price increase!
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    A very slow and out of it day to day - clearly dealing with my sodders this week has got to me! Very frustrated when my body simply does not behave and the day just wastes away.:(

Upside is popping into M&S very late - so tea tonight is two packs of teriyaki beef bites reduced to 20p each from just under £2 and a fish selection sushi box reduced from over £3 to 35p:)

Ok, so it isn't freshly prepared food but covers all food groups and doesn't appear to have any particular nasties in it and not greatly over processed so not too bad all in all.

Just couldn't face the alternative of thinking through a whole meal.

Afters - which may not be needed;) - a big pack of cherries from MrT which I will probably garner the energy to wash;)

It's not poured with rain here today but this drab, dank, humid weather isn't my cup of tea!
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    And then I popped to L1dl for some fizzy pop and managed to buy ANOTHER six packets of crisps and some chips. The 1Kg chips are back - 63p now!! As they were 50p about 3-4 months ago, that's a 26% price increase!

Yay, nice to hear they are back, even with a price rise, I am using Morries own at the moment, OKish but shorter than Lilds and only in 1.5Kg bags

Dinner finished up as two Pollock fillets fried with blob of butter with fresh tom & slice of bread & butter, then pud was more of the stewed apples with blobs of Greek yoghurt. The yoghurt I bought the other day, a posh one, YS around a £1, but it is nice and I certainly can tell the difference between it and shop's own

Whilst freezer diving my suspicions were confirmed, my freezer bottom is more of a frozen aquarium with all the fishy bits in it, good job Lild chips are back in Kilo bags, I'll need them with the fishy meals I'll be eating, including another pack of fish fingers that I thought could be in there :(
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

...then pud was more of the stewed apples with blobs of Greek yoghurt. The yoghurt I bought the other day, a posh one, YS around a £1, but it is nice and I certainly can tell the difference between it and shop's own
    Is that Fage? If it is, it's my favourite by a long way, but I also find Aldi's very good at less than half the price.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    poppystar wrote: »
    A very slow and out of it day to day - clearly dealing with my sodders this week has got to me! Very frustrated when my body simply does not behave and the day just wastes away.:(

Upside is popping into M&S very late - so tea tonight is two packs of teriyaki beef bites reduced to 20p each from just under £2 and a fish selection sushi box reduced from over £3 to 35p:)

Ok, so it isn't freshly prepared food but covers all food groups and doesn't appear to have any particular nasties in it and not greatly over processed so not too bad all in all.

Just couldn't face the alternative of thinking through a whole meal.

Afters - which may not be needed;) - a big pack of cherries from MrT which I will probably garner the energy to wash;)

It's not poured with rain here today but this drab, dank, humid weather isn't my cup of tea!
    Sorry you're not feeling very well today, you need an easy, quick meal when you feel like that.
    They were very good reductions, I think I will have to start popping up to M & S later in the day as it's only 5 minutes away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure