PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    steffiraf - I think one of the real joys of CFO is that if you don't like it you don't have to eat it, we can please ourselves. :DI'm sure in your freezer/cupboard stash there will be lots potential meals that you do like and being that we are such a mixed bunch on here that one of us will come up with meals you do enjoy. :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    .... if you don't like it you don't have to eat it....
    That's a luxury many can't afford! I've a rule that if I buy it, I HAVE to eat it all... it's too easy to bin things and waste food.

I probably waste about 50p per year MAX.
  • steffiraf
    steffiraf Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Caronc. I really do despise anything relating to veg or salad. I am overweight but by a long margin, and struggle to get it off. Those that can fill up on salad/veg, i hold my hat out to you. You clearly dont feel the struggles of the rest of us. You lucky !!!!!!s. If you dont feel like you are hampered by the dislike of fruit/veg, then feel free to !!!! right off. The rest of you, tune in for some sympathy...:T
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    That's a luxury many can't afford! I've a rule that if I buy it, I HAVE to eat it all... it's too easy to bin things and waste food.

I probably waste about 50p per year MAX.
    I don't think many of us waste food as we know it's a constant battle when CFO :eek: My attitude tends to be if I don't like it I won't buy it. I'm quite happy with the range of foods I eat and don't generally buy what I haven't tried/am unsure about.

Morning all. I have been awake since before 5 for some reason but am still tucked up in bed with a coffee and watching a series on the laptop which is a nice change.

I'll probably have breakfast today as I'll be hungry with being awake so early - toast and marmalade is my thought so far. Lunch is 2 potato cakes that I found in the freezer yesterday and some leftover beans. I'll probably scramble an egg to have with it too. Tea tonight is a roast chicken dinner with roast potatoes, stuffing and roast veg from a bag of frozen from Sainsbury's. Parsnips, carrots & onions I think. They're nice and good value at 99p anyway. I bought a tiny packet of stuffing and will use the leftovers on the sandwiches I'll make for work on Saturday. It's a whole chicken from Iceland that you cook from frozen which I'm slightly dicey about as I've never done it before but decided to follow the instructions and see how it turns out.

Rain set in for the day and it's quite cool I can't believe that its August :( Going up to Mum's this afternoon to do her ironing for her as she has a nasty urine infection and is feeling rotten. Apart from that not much to do :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    nice recipe caronc. I threw out 3/4 of a block of organic feta last night, grhh. I forgot about it and it didn`t pass the sniff test

I am still trying hard to make freezer space and also have to get my car serviced today. Turkey leg meat mixed in with fried off cubed pancetta and mixed with frozen veg, like leeks and peas and carrots and the sweet potatoes that I also forgot about. Everything is cubed and I added oxo, dried mushrooms and hm white wine, which I am trying hard to use up. The frozed veg cooled the pancetta and casserole dish quickly, so it is all cold now and in the fridge for when I come back. I am not going to make rice to eat with it as I need to eat just that casserole, or it will last too long. That plus yesterdays baked apple, I had one yesterday, it was lovely. Must remember to cook some chard plus courgette to go with the casserole today. I will be a bit short on eating my usual veg quantity so will make a veg drink late afternoon, as it fills me, This time I will put lettuce and beetroot in it as I have a lot growing, I`ll probably follow that with a currant bun treat

Boiled agg and spelt toast for breakfast
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    steffiraf wrote: »
    I am overweight but by a long margin, and struggle to get it off. Those that can fill up on salad/veg, i hold my hat out to you. You clearly dont feel the struggles of the rest of us. You lucky !!!!!!s. If you dont feel like you are hampered by the dislike of fruit/veg, then feel free to !!!! right off. The rest of you, tune in for some sympathy...:T

language pet! no need to swear here, we all have our own struggles, weight excess, sudden singledom and widowhood are mine. There are people on here who are poor, others who struggle with illness or drink problems. We try hard and we overcome what hampers us but we don`t rant and swear in the process. We do support each other and some of us even keep our sense of humour
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    language pet! no need to swear here, we all have our own struggles, weight excess, sudden singledom and widowhood are mine. There are people on here who are poor, others who struggle with illness or drink problems. We try hard and we overcome what hampers us but we don`t rant and swear in the process. We do support each other and some of us even keep our sense of humour
    Yes Kittie, totally agree. I think every single one of us that posts on CFO had/has some sort of ongoing struggle.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    ...and, every so often, we have a bit of a laugh - usually at what Squirrel Small's cats are up to:)
  • SquirrelSmall
    Options
    ...and, every so often, we have a bit of a laugh - usually at what Squirrel Small's cats are up to:)

If I tell you that I was woken by the bowl of small change of the laundrette being knocked off the table at 5:30am because Boy Cat wanted attention, that might give you a measure of how my day is going.

So far, coffee in hand and I really ought to have some toast - if only not to waste the bread.

Despite having more ducks/geese/swans/coots than is strictly necessary, I won't feed them stale bread. The mess on the pontoons just isn't worth it.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    ...a nasty urine infection ...
    One thing I discovered is that if older/elderly people don't drink enough water (a LOT) then these will kick in... and it often presents itself as confusion/wandering and dementia-like.

So try all you can to get her to drink more/more often and to keep it up....

Although I don't know how old your mum is - she might be younger than me! :)
    Mine was about 90.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport