PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,333 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Late clocking in today, nice & sunny but a cold wind
    I would prune the gooseberry but too cold for me, if it were not for the wind it would be a lovely gardening day

No breakfast

Had a mini clear up for recycling, Christmas cards, old jars + some batteries. Luckily my local Morries takes all of them, and that was where I went for a shopping mooch

Nothing took my fancy, and no YS worth having. But I did find full fat UHT milk, and remembered to get a "just in case" tin of sausages & beans, and that was my total for the day. £1.63 spent, I don't think I'm alone either, there were not many in there and car park was only 1/4 full

Lunch was another bacon, lettuce & tom sarnie. I think I have enough bacon for one more tomorrow

Dinner is more or less decided on the one LO gammon steak, with eggs and this time I will remember to add beans & grilled tomato. I may do HM chips or perhaps just nuke some LO mash. Time and CBA sensor will decide the spuddy outcome

I have moved into the 21st century now and moved over to unlimited broad band today, and soon to explore the "delights" of I players etc, I may have a bash later as my son donated his old Roku plug in to TV thingy to me. Once I crack that, never know could be Netflix., avoiding all the current carp on the TV. Spending the money I no longer have to pay the Beeb for a licence:)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,333 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Spud decision made, it is HM chips, off to prep them now, then fiddle with TV thingy over a cuppa & a mince pie
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    A friend of mine had the detached retina thing - and it was instant panic/deal with at once scenario in case of blindness. Fortunately she and her husband made sure it was too.

Know what you mean about elderlies attitude to medicine sometimes - long since lost count of asking my parents about anything they are/should have been prescribed - as I'm rarely able to persuade them into investigating what it's all about. Did manage to get my mother to kick up one time when the NHS was trying not to do her second cataract operation and it got done after all. That's the only success I can think of. I think she's got me "trained" better than vice-versa frankly - as I stand there and go "Whatever she does (or doesnt) want, then that's what I want her to have:cool:".
    Hello Money...

Too true. She has a list of ailments, one of which is tinnitus/deaf in one ear, prescribed hearing aid and won't wear it!

I don't know if she has misheard (which does happen often now), or, refused treatment, or what has happened. Actually getting her agreement to see a GP with me next week is a miracle in itself.....:(
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Roast beef dinner eaten ,delicious even dgson said how do you make it so good:rotfl:
    We had the last bit of coffee meringue, with passion fruit and kiwi, cream and a slug of baileys.
    Just what was needed after a couple of hours tidying up the garden.
    Lifted out a hm pasta sauce, I'll see what it's like once defrosted!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    My trip out to the shore was just fab even if it was blinking chilly. My sister parked her car in a sunny spot and even then the dashboard temperature gauge only registered 1.5C, still warmer than when she collected my nephew late last night when it read -7C. :eek: It's to be a tad milder tonight dipping just below freezing so hopefully a bit warmer tomorrow. I think half the local population was having a stroll along the prom making the most of the sunny weather:). Amusingly my Fitbit has decided that me trundling along the prom with my rollator logs as an outdoor cycle ride, must be because it has handle bars:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:. Though it didn't do that yesterday when I had a short walk, just counted the steps I did:cool:.
    Brunch was a bit later than I thought it would be so I just opted for a quick meal of scrambled eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and spring onions with toast. :D
    My shopping has been delivered so the running out of teabags crisis has been averted:), I ordered some fresh milk as the stuff I have is OOD so will make a batch of white sauce for the freezer with the old stuff.

Re mixing up of meds, my Dad (who is otherwise quite sensible) was rubbish at taking what he should take when he should take them tablets wise, now gets a weekly blister pack with them all portioned out which he's finding really helpful:).
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CFO 2018 continues apace here...well sort of :rotfl:

Sauteed half a LO leek and shredded cabbage in butter with some frozen broccoli and peas, seasoned with chilli flakes and black pepper.
    Then I added a full tin of Hein$ Lentil soup (I know it's cheating but I like it and it's quick and easy).

As hoped it turned in to a thick veg broth and blooming tasty it was too and a fair few of my 5 a day :D
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »

Sauteed half a LO leek and shredded cabbage in butter with some frozen broccoli and peas, seasoned with chilli flakes and black pepper.
    Then I added a full tin of Hein$ Lentil soup (I know it's cheating but I like it and it's quick and easy).

As hoped it turned in to a thick veg broth and blooming tasty it was too and a fair few of my 5 a day :D
    Glad to see you seem to have got your CFO mojo back:), your meal sounds tasty and great for a chilly winter's night;)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options

Think we do need (as singles) sometimes to think "Not so much a distinct recipe - more an idea".

Been making a start on writing down ideas of quick/easy to do type "ideas" for if I'm feeling cba. If I can make up a list of, say, 50 or so "ideas" then I shan't even have to think about whats what unless I actively want to.

On that note - just had a fruit salad with yogurt, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, sumac scattered over the top. Next on the agenda - got some leftover baked sweet potato bits and am thinking I could do that with spring onion, the last of my frozen home-grown tomatoes, some olives, garlic salt and a bit of nutritional yeast scattered over the top of it.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had porridge for breakfast again this morning. When I made this I realised that I was nearly out of milk. I have some powdered milk but I don't like porridge made with that much. I found a two pint bottle of milk in the freezer, but I'm nearly out of yoghurt and bread as well. I usually have bread in the freezer but had planned to pick up a loaf on Saturday.

I shall have to decide whether to do an online order, go out, or ask a neighbour to pick up these items for me.

I didn't feel up to cooking anything for dinner so had a lasagne ready meal.

But the good news is that there are some gaps appearing in the freezers :), so it isn't all bad.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Sounds really tasty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport