PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Breezy as heck here today, gusting close to 50mph
    Irenadler wrote: »
    ....stoic attitude of the older generation is abused by some medical practictioners, or, who don't have the time/bedside manner to explain diagnosis or consequences.

I took my mum for a problem and the Dr was a locum/Indian, flown in to do out of hours cover..... coming out mum was waving her prescription about in her hand and I asked "do you know what you've got to do with those tablets?" .... and she hadn't got a clue. She'd not been able to understand a single word he'd said, she'd not said a thing, he'd written a prescription, she'd taken it and left!

I bet that's not uncommon.

Professionals assume people are hearing/understanding what they're saying and have absorbed the correct instructions for what to do with the tablets, daily, next and how long for and what to do if whatever the problem is has changed or still there.

Without me there mum'd probably have just got her tablets and then taken 2-3 randomly until they were gone .... without knowing how many she was supposed to take, when etc.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    A friend of mine had the detached retina thing - and it was instant panic/deal with at once scenario in case of blindness. Fortunately she and her husband made sure it was too.

Know what you mean about elderlies attitude to medicine sometimes - long since lost count of asking my parents about anything they are/should have been prescribed - as I'm rarely able to persuade them into investigating what it's all about. Did manage to get my mother to kick up one time when the NHS was trying not to do her second cataract operation and it got done after all. That's the only success I can think of. I think she's got me "trained" better than vice-versa frankly - as I stand there and go "Whatever she does (or doesnt) want, then that's what I want her to have:cool:".
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 January 2018 at 1:32PM
    Options
    The virtues of "switching off" when one has done all the research/planning/etc one reasonably can about any issue aren't to be under-rated either. Current personal favourite - and yep...I know it's mindless:o - being watching detective tv programmes.

yes, I watch old cracker dvds or get stuck into knitting a complicated fair isle hat

Food is so easy today and quite enjoyable. I am waiting for a lasagne forno to cook, no other cooking at all today. All fruit is raw or frozen and it will be spelt cereal for last meal as I have de-frosted a litre of milk, which I froze as a litre

It is so enjoyable today, washing is almost done and drying, the sun is blazing in and I am sitting in a recliner, knitting socks. Later I will scroll through my bought audible books, bought 4 years ago and will find one I would not normally pick up and read.

det retina, A and E for emergency treatment
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    It's getting windier here.... if I kept chickens they'd be laying the same egg several times apiece!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Options
    It's getting windier here.... if I kept chickens they'd be laying the same egg several times apiece!

My hens go in when it's windy as they can't stand against it I shouldn't laugh but it is funny seeing them be blown around :D

We have been so lucky with the storms. We were originally meant to be in the eye of Ophelia, she done a divert, Dylan, blew over a pot plant and Eleanor seemed like she was going to hit, and whilst all around us had trees and power down, this wee corner was missed

It's flipping cold though. Luckily it was dry yesterday so the main roads were gritted ( we have had torrential rain since Christmas and roads and fields are flooded everywhere) It is still only minus 3 out there and I think we have snow on the way for next week
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,395 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I still feel cold. I just got myself a hot water bottle to put on my lap when I'm watching TV in my chair.

I'm having jacket potato with baked beans for late lunch. I am adding chopped onions and apples and sweetcorn and curry powder to the beans to give it a kick. Probably might sound weird, but it tastes nice.:D
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Funnily enough, we bought a kitten from the rescue, 18 months ago, after a 7 year gap with no pets. He is very affectionate, and has been a great comfort since hubby died. I certainly chat to him or hubby! !!!
    Plastic takeaway boxes are kept, to portion cat food into! As I feed him raw food. Which brings me to the would I get eaten if I keeled over!! Most definitely! !_pale_:laugh: but would be my fault, if he was fed death nuggets I doubt he'd realise I was food!!!:rotfl:
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    MrApji, roast beef in yorkies is so easy, even if you can’t cook a thing

Step A - hit the deli counter and buy a few slices of roast beef. Get them sliced as thick as you like

Step B - hit the freezer section and buy aunt Bessie’s giant yorkies and a bag of steam veg bags

Make a gravy with gravy granules , put the beef in a microwaveable container, cover with the gravy. Nuke the steam bag of veg, nuke the beef in gravy whilst heating the yorkie in the oven , when all hot, assemble and enjoy :)

If you want to cook your own beef and still don’t have cooking skills, buy a reasonable sized joint of brisket. Season well, place in the slow cooker with a small glass of red wine and cook on low for about 5 hours. It will basically be fall apart soft ( check after 4 hours )

Still buy the frozen yorkies, they are good enough I do make my own but I’m cooking for 3 so it’s worth it

Fail safe easy to remember recipe for yorkies is
    1 egg
    4 tbsp milk
    4 tbsp of water
    4 tbsp plain flour
    Salt and pepper

Whisk together till lump free. Leave to sit for 30mins. Make sure your oven is very hot and the oil in your tin is at smoking point. That means you can see a haze from the oil. Quickly pour batter into tin, return to oven and cook for about 25 mins. Don’t open the oven till it is fully risen and golden. If it’s getting too brown turn the temp down but only after it has risen

Suki, many thanks for your post - the instructions are fantastic :) I would never have thought to go to the deli - probably sounds daft :). I will 'give it a go', that's for sure. Cooking the briskit in the slow cooker also sounds good. Thanks again :)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

I think it may have been too wet, should be just sticky
    It does turn out heavier than yeast type of bread, and I think you left it in too long, about 20 minutes does it, and tapping if for hollowness is the way to tell if done, as does it turning into charcoal:)

Thanks Farway.

I deffo think the mix was too wet then so will aim for a dryer but sticky dough and shorter cooking time next time.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Got a line full of washing almost dry yesterday.
    I had the tempura batter gf chicken gougons for tea, I passed on the chick and mushroom crispbake though, and binned it it was from 2015!! And I didn't fancy it. Had some sweet chilli dipping sauce with them, and the remainder of pack of black pepper crisp.
    Today dgson was here for breakfast so I joined him for streaky smoked bacon and chopped egg in a cup, with salt pepper and butter on toast.
    Just cooked a topside of beef out of freezer, there will be enough for our tea, and to freeze the leftovers for another Sunday tea. Mr AP you could have shared if you were near by! I'm doing roast pots, carrots ,cauliflower Yorkshire and gravy.
    I still cook beef like my mum did, put in a casserole dish with a stock , (I use the knorr beef one) cover and cook , usually 2 hours or less depending how big beef is.
    Freezing cold there's still frost on shaded parts of garden but may nip out and do a bit of gardening.
    Before an early tea.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure