PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way! Part 10. Please read posts 1 and 2 before posting.

Options

Comments

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not a great day, I haven't been 100% all week and each day seems to bring a new symptom. Felt so poo and tired that I bought a pizza and then tried to send my OH out to buy ice cream!

Strangely I have seem to have shifted a few pounds. It might just be water weight I've lost as I have been going to bed earlier than usual this week and that will in itself prevent me from eating. Whatever caused it I'll take it.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm looking for alternatives to potatoes rice and pasta. Has anyone cooked with quinoa, I'm totally at a loss on how to use it. Our son says it looks like and probably tastes like frogspawn.
  • Sa1sysoo
    Sa1sysoo Posts: 297 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zafiro, if you're looking for low carb, we've started eating lentil pasta. It actually tastes similar to wholewheat pasta imo.

We've also had quinoa before. We treat it similarly to how we use couscous, using it as a side or as a stuffing for peppers or something. It tastes okay, maybe a bit crunchy? You can get microwaveable packs, which are a lot easier and maybe worth trying so you can get an idea for what you're aiming for when buying dried. (Also excellent if you're lazy :o)

A mixed week this week. I seem to be alright at work, and then fall off the rails at home. Having a corner shop on the literal corner does. not. help.
    Also, having a McDonalds the day before weigh in day was not my most inspired moment :o2lb gain :eek::(

Ugh. I understand now. Making it big and brightly coloured acts as a deterrent/celebration as well as helping KnitWitch out
    OH OD - £100.00/£100.00 Joint OD - £100.00/£100.00StepChange: £10,057.67
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    I'm looking for alternatives to potatoes rice and pasta. Has anyone cooked with quinoa, I'm totally at a loss on how to use it. Our son says it looks like and probably tastes like frogspawn.

Maybe try a phased approach. We buy the micro rice pouches when they are on offer - the wholegrain and quinoa is nice. We share 1 between 3 which DH is not that impressed with but I fill the plate with veg to confuse him!
    I like cauli rice/couscous but DH and DD won't touch it. I prefer it raw.
    We have roasted butternut squash quite often - in place of chips. Sometimes I do sweet potato but it isn't as low carb/cal. I had rainbow fries from Iceland last week that were quite nice - a mix of carrot, beetroot and parsnip.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Binsky … 0/14
    Cappella … 0/7
    Carmen … 0/13.2
    CathA … 0/4
    CRANKY40 … 2/7 :):)
    Dandy-candy … 1/6 :)
    Dumpling … 0/15
    FurryBeastOz … 0/12
    Gresleyrover … +4.6/5 :(:(:(:(:p
    Karcher … 0/6
    Knit Witch … 3.5/10 :):):);)
    Lynnejk … 0/8
    MallyGirl … 0/6
    Monnagran … 0/5
    PJ1 … 3.5/11 :):):);)
    Sa1sysoo … +2/14 :(:(
    Short_bird … 0.5/6 ;)
    SIRENS … 4.5/16 :):):):);)
    Sue14 … 0/12
    Tessie bear … +1/13 :(
    TiredTrophy … +1/10 :(
    Zafiro1984 … 1.75/14 :);):A

0 st 8.15 lb :):):):):):):):)
    Must use my stash up!
  • SIRENS
    SIRENS Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hello All

Am having a !!!! couple days have had a bit of a shock, just family stuff but can't seem to get out of my biscuit eating rut. I ate so many biscuits and other rubbish I actually felt quite sick at bed time. Today started off okay but but I have just hit the biscuit barrel again. How do I get my self back on track? ( I guess eventually I will run out of biscuits!)
    Feeling urgh.
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Poor you Sirens. It doesn't take much to set us on the downward path, does it?

I am trying very hard this week as I somehow have to shock my system into giving up a few ounces of fat here and there.
    Today.
    Br: scrambled egg on toast.

Lunch. Ham and cheese salad. Poached pears.

Extras: 1 cookie, already eaten so no more today.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I weigh in tomorrow.....not expecting success despite the hiking, cycling, running amd sauna- ing ....I still seem to be gaining not losing! And I am no little whippet like creature.

And I am really tired....I must leap up and clear up, ready for another keen early start to take guests to see the quaint and cute!
    Then knit another baby sleeve...fiddly as 'finishing on the wrong side' could be read as at the end of the wrong side or as with the wrong side facing to start the next instruction.

All the visitors leave next week and I hope to find affordable broccoli....it's a shocking price, even in Lidl.

I like chickpea spaghetti.

While I am inspired by the successful folks, I am comforted by those who struggle as I do with weightloss.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all,

Diet been going so-so at the mo, i've started nibbling between meals again :mad:

We have a funeral to go to tomorrow and i've found one black dress in the wardrobe that i can JUST squeeze into and do up the zip. I can't fit into any of my smart coats though, so i'm not sure what to do about that.

Weather is pretty grim too so exercise has hit the buffers. Not expecting any good news at weight in!!
  • Carmen
    Carmen Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »

I ate a fair amount of quinoa during the summer. Lots of recipes on youtube, my favourites at the moment are mint and pea, detox salad.

Legumes also are a staple for me.

My intake of potatoes, rice and pasta goes up in the winter, especially baked jackets.

TTFN
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport