PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Charity shops getting expensive!

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm an AM at a local charity shop where I live. It's correct when people are replying saying prices are set by HO, we have lists of brands and minimum prices we must set. Having attended recent manager meetings I see where the money is going and although I think some of the items are overpriced I see what huge targets the shops have to hit and it's incredible :-/

I would love to see us put in place a £1 rail but I don't think that will ever happen :-(
    Hi Cherry
    So what happens to the clothes that aren't sold because they're expensive?

Setting a high (and possibly unrealistic) target for shop managers/staff to hit resulting in high ticket prices and potentially low sales doesn't sound like good business sense to me.

Of the charity shops that I visit regularly, the ones that are reasonably priced are busy and the Air Ambulance which sells all clothes, shoes & bags at £1 is heaving every time I'm in there.
    The more expensive shops are quiet.

I wonder which makes the most profit - the 'pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap' (and encourage people to come in more often as you have the stock turnover to interest people) or the 'It's a Wallis dress so we'll sell it at £7.99' ones.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Thank you so much for welcoming our newbies Pollycat! This has been a hugely popular discussion on the MSE Facebook page this weekend :)

Pollycat wrote: »
    Hi to all the (fairly) newbies who've posted on here.

For fans of charity shopping, just to let you know there's a long running thread here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3859129&page=327
    where people post their bargains.
    You might be interested enough to share your bargains. :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Aw shucks. :o

Just to point out to Cherry that I wasn't getting at her with my earlier post.
    I can understand how difficult (and probably frustrating) it must be for staff working in charity shops who can see that a pricing policy imposed by someone in head office who doesn't know the local area is not doing the job it was intended to do i.e. making as much money as possible for the charity. :)

I've been known to succumb to a £7.99 Wallis dress in one of the more expensive charity shops because I've fallen in love with it.

And here's the proof:
    Against my better judgement I bought a Wallis jersey dress in various shades of greens & purples tropical print.
    It fits me perfectly and goes with my jade green Birkenstock sandals and will be the first thing in my suitcase for my up-coming holiday.
    I almost put it back on the rack at £6.99 but once I'd tried it on, it was mine.
    That'll teach me to wander into British Heart Foundation shop. :D
    My 'bargain' yesterday was the most beautiful Wallis jersey maxi dress (yes, yes, I know I don't need another one :cool:) but this is worth outing one (or more) of my current stock of maxi dresses to make room for it.
    Perfect fit, doesn't need shortening, lovely detailing round the armholes, flattering front and in a very unusual pattern. Sort of a smokey grey background with kaleidoscope-like patterns in bright colours or a bit like stained glass windows.

I did think twice at £7.99 from Age UK but it really is gorgeous.
  • Papperclip
    Options
    II’ve just been in charity shop in St Helens and I agree. Coats for £20 and jeans (for £13 but not even in great condition (all second hand) I also seen as suggested clothing from the likes of Primark which were more expensive than what they were originally sold. Additionally I seen T-shirt’s a local gym brand we’re giving away which were being sold.

I personally think we will see a lot of charity shops closing down due to this new pricing structure. Very sad given the courses they represent.
  • Happy_One
    Options
    I have seen things being sold in charity shops that were originally given away as promotions, tee shirts mugs etc. Also other things that have come as free gifts.
    Along with jute and supermarket bags that are priced at more than that which you could buy them new in the supermarket. Obviously kind people have taken them in filled with donations good idea to sell them on but not right to overcharge.

P
  • Pollycat
    Options
    If you don't like the prices being charged, don't buy.
    Just vote with your feet.

I tend to look at what an item might have cost new rather than the price on the ticket to decide if it's a bargain.

I'd rather pay £15 for a Jaegar wool coat (that would probably have retailed at £300+ new) than £7.50 for a high street coat that was originally £50 new.

This was one of my best bargains:
    Bought a grey Crombie - it's the proper make, not a look-alike - coat for OH from our local Hospice shop.

Very good condition, checked the lining and pockets, paid £15.00.
    Fits OH perfectly.
    I looked on the Crombie website and found this:
    navy_fly_fronted_overcoat_classic.png
    £595 reduced from £895. :eek:

I wouldn't have paid £15 for a second hand man's New Look coat.

I think you need to look at the brand as well as the price.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It all depends on the charity shop. Our local one, which conveniently has parking right outside, is a hospice one. Not very big, but it gets all of our donations as it's convenient, and then I often buy little bits from there too.

Dropped off two bags of things DD has outgrown, and came away with 4 nearly new books for her at £3 total. Priced up as £1 each, so I chose 3, but when I got to the till, the gentleman informed me they were buy one, get one half price, so I grabbed another! lol Bargain!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I usually only go to the charity shops which do not have many if any salaried staff and are truly run my volunteers. Also ones which do not have high specification shop fittings and displays. These usually have quite low prices.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    when I offered a price for a bundle of books, it was accepted.

Of all the "I don't haggle in charity shops but...." comments on this thread the above is my absolute favourite.

Was wondering if this entire thread could be saved for posterity maybe with a title of "Modern Morals in 2019 Britain"
    Thoughts?
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Of all the "I don't haggle in charity shops but...." comments on this thread the above is my absolute favourite.

Was wondering if this entire thread could be saved for posterity maybe with a title of "Modern Morals in 2019 Britain"
    Thoughts?
    You're pretty judgemental. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family