PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Charity shops getting expensive!

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 July 2017 at 12:40PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Shocking that anyone could steal from a charity shop.
    I was walking past my local CRUK last night when I noticed someone had dumped 3 huge crates of books outside last night (ignoring the sign in the window). I had a quick look through those in the top crate and thought I could make use of some of them. I've also been told that this chazzer doesn't take bulk supplies of books when I've tried to donate in the past, so I tweaked my plans for the day and arrived there at 9.30am. When I arrived, I found they were still outside the shop, albeit a few items lighter. I can't help but think that someone may have seen me looking at the books last night and then helped themselves :(

The SA hadn't even noticed the crates, and she wasn't happy about it given that she'd struggle to sell many of them. So I helped her carry them into the shop, and picked what I wanted: all academic / careers books, which I intend to donate to a school library next term.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'd never haggle about prices in a charity shop.
    I used to agree with you, but some staff have no commercial sense. I was given a silly price for the books by a completely different member of staff, who had no idea that these books had literally just come in off the street having been raided overnight by persons unknown. Luckily when I offered a price for a bundle of books, it was accepted - the original SA is realistic and I gather had also had a disagreement with the other one over "retail differences" before I arrived that morning. They have very different ideas on how to run a business.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    It was a real collection of odds and sods found an eclectic shop in South Essex. I get the impression that it may have been part of a job lot at a car boot sale.

A bit too far from mum's leafy Cheshire suburbs to be realistic! I did enjoy watching the TV shows back in the late 60's / early 70's.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Teacherspet54
    Options
    As with lots of charities they are BIG BUSINESS now. I still support them by buying, but donate regularly to my local Salvation Army shop. They have always been reasonable & do such a good job helping homeless people. As stated earlier along this thread, car boots are often much cheaper, I have even seen charity stalls there........better because overheads are cheaper & no fixed prices either, sellers can charge appropriately. I have always said "Nobody should be wanting these days with everything available cheaply at car boots & charity shops"
  • itsbeenalongday
    Options
    I volunteer in a hospice charity shop and over the past few years have noticed that although there are more and more donations - often 30+ bags a day - the quality of donations is definitely going down. Lots of cheap, disposable clothes - Primark, H&M, M&Co. Often "good" clothes are sold online in preference to donating. I think the bar is set really low too for some people who think its ok to donate filthy, stained, cat-haired, smelly clothes - lowlights include stained pants with sanitary pad, sicked-on baby clothes, ear waxed cotton buds and a bag of dog poo (I'm hoping this was a mistake..). Folk are using charity shops more so there are more people looking, but there are still fabulous bargains and it is worth asking if you are looking for something particular as there is often stock in the back - waiting to go out - so talk to the staff and tell them what interests you. Prices are theoretically set by higher management as a guideline but they don't cover every single brand of course and the manager will set the price. Charity shops would love to sell lovely, well cared for, beautifully made clothes but can only sell what is donated - often it is not worth sorting, steaming and pricing clothes that will just sell for £1, but can be sold as rags. Stock gets stolen all the time which is hugely disheartening for donor and charity shop but extra security would cost more and so up the prices. Tricky one.
  • osbornbiscuit
    Options
    I too help out in a local charity shop and can't believe what some people donate both good and bad. Yes there are some wonderful bargains to be had and also like the previous poster some are down right disgusting. The smell can be overwhelming and you do worry every time you put your hands in pockets to check. I have pointed out in other charity shops if something is frayed or missing buttons and been offered reductions. By rotating the stock people see fresh stock. When your town has 5 or more charity shops donations can be few and far between and people tend to donate to something that they can relate to. Donations like money can be in short supply. My manager does have discretion on pricing and I know that the charity shops in town do talk to each other and will often see what is working well and implement changes. In our town CRUK and Salvation Army are brilliant and BHF do have the odd bargains. Scope is dirty and smells and I won't go in the shop.
    In our shop we do have our regulars and the volunteers will point out suitable clothes for their requirements. I think it is the same in all walks of life there are good and bad shops. Choose one you feel happy with and get to know the volunteers.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2017 at 7:56AM
    Options
    I don't know whether it counts as an indirect form of getting expensive - or whether this is something that has always happened.

I very rarely buy any charity shop items - but have got a few items of clothing recently (to do until I lose some excess weight).

Out of that - two of these items have turned out to need repair. It's not just needing something very minor (like sewing on a button or re-attaching a few inches of hem that have come down). It's been two noticeable things and that have needed to be done before the garment could be used. One was to do with belt loops on a trenchcoat style raincoat - and that meant the raincoat cost £9 more than bargained on (payment to a clothes alterer to do it). I've just bought a skirt with a zip in and found the zip is faulty and a friend is going to replace it for me - but tells me a new zip is probably going to cost me about £5.

Will charity shops please check over donated clothes to see if they've been given to them, despite needing a repair that most of us will be unable to do - and then dispose of any they find (rather than putting them on sale)?

I did wonder whether to just throw away both items - as the owner should have done (rather than donating them):cool: I guess it's all part of what the last two posters have said - ie people will donate clothes they should just throw out.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I don't know whether it counts as an indirect form of getting expensive - or whether this is something that has always happened.

I very rarely buy any charity shop items - but have got a few items of clothing recently (to do until I lose some excess weight).

Out of that - two of these items have turned out to need repair. It's not just needing something very minor (like sewing on a button or re-attaching a few inches of hem that have come down). It's been two noticeable things and that have needed to be done before the garment could be used. One was to do with belt loops on a trenchcoat style raincoat - and that meant the raincoat cost £9 more than bargained on (payment to a clothes alterer to do it). I've just bought a skirt with a zip in and found the zip is faulty and a friend is going to replace it for me - but tells me a new zip is probably going to cost me about £5.

Will charity shops please check over donated clothes to see if they've been given to them, despite needing a repair that most of us will be unable to do - and then dispose of any they find (rather than putting them on sale)?

I did wonder whether to just throw away both items - as the owner should have done (rather than donating them):cool: I guess it's all part of what the last two posters have said - ie people will donate clothes they should just throw out.
    That's really disappointing - but maybe it happened because you're not a regular charity shop shopper.

I always check every item I buy.
    My Mum says I'm bobble-obsessed. :D
    I feel down the front of a garment, especially round the bust area and also round the side-back where cross-body bags can rub and bobble the fabric.

I check the inside underarms or crotch area if it's trousers.
    I check the inside 'care label', it can give a good indication of how much it's been worn if it's faded.

I check if it's been taken up. I don't mind shortening hems on skirts, trousers or dresses but prefer to do it myself from the original starting point than from somebody else's higgledy-piggledy attempt.
    I also check zips.

Finally, if it's a patterned dress or tunic, I turn it inside out as it's easier to check for holes on the reverse side.

Maybe my actions are OTT for an item that doesn't cost very much.
    :hello: Hello. My name is Polly and I'm a bit OCD. :o My sister says (jokingly I think) that I should get out more. :rotfl:

And I would never have donated items that needed repair.
  • Luna68
    Luna68 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    We have 3 charity shops in the town 3 miles from were we live
    there was 7 they had stared charging more,people stopped buying from them
    Over priced themselves i think
    I give all my stuff to Fresh fields they sell at decent prices still lots of bargains to get
    a Age UK think will be called not sure is going to open in few weeks i will give them some things to help start them off
    have to admit I do love charity shopping well its either that or E bay
    cant afford get new
    expect underwear
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Hi to all the (fairly) newbies who've posted on here.

For fans of charity shopping, just to let you know there's a long running thread here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3859129&page=327
    where people post their bargains.
    You might be interested enough to share your bargains. :)
  • cherryrowlands
    Options
    I'm an AM at a local charity shop where I live. It's correct when people are replying saying prices are set by HO, we have lists of brands and minimum prices we must set. Having attended recent manager meetings I see where the money is going and although I think some of the items are overpriced I see what huge targets the shops have to hit and it's incredible :-/

I would love to see us put in place a £1 rail but I don't think that will ever happen :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure