PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Charity shops getting expensive!

Options
15678911»

Comments

• unrecordings
    Options
    I've been pondering the economics of this. I think the vest in the charity shop is divorced somewhat from that same item in Asda or Primark. The latter are using economies of scale to probably/possibly sell the vest as a loss leader to create brand loyalty. The charity shop is simply selling a nice vest, and their generic price for a nice vest is say £4. That's my take on it.

As for haggling, not on. Dealers haggling are utter scumbags IMHO

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I've been pondering the economics of this. I think the vest in the charity shop is divorced somewhat from that same item in Asda or Primark. The latter are using economies of scale to probably/possibly sell the vest as a loss leader to create brand loyalty. The charity shop is simply selling a nice vest, and their generic price for a nice vest is say £4. That's my take on it.

That doesn't work for me.
    As I said up-thread:
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I tend to look at what an item might have cost new rather than the price on the ticket to decide if it's a bargain.

I'd rather pay £15 for a Jaegar wool coat (that would probably have retailed at £300+ new) than £7.50 for a high street coat that was originally £50 new.
    I'd look at a Primark/George vest priced at £4.00 and know that it didn't cost that much new and pass on it.
    I think that's the part of the point of the thread - unrealistic pricing.

If it was on a £1.00 or 50p rail, it may sell (or may not).
    Pricing it at £4.00 just means it'll almost certainly go for ragging.
    So which is the better business choice?:
    get £1.00 or 50p for an item or
    include it in a kg of rags for pennies
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Hardly. The Primark type items will often be well washed and scruffy which is another reason I don't consider them as well as the silly pricing.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    A new national charity shop has recently opened where I live. I went in to look and they had all DVDs and CDs priced at £2 each.

All the existing charity shops here are struggling to sell them at £1 for three.

Didn't they look to see what prices they are going for in the other shops?
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Should have read the thread first - think I'll go back to lurking. Nothing to see here, apologies for barging in :)

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Should have read the thread first - think I'll go back to lurking. Nothing to see here, apologies for barging in :)

No! Don't go. :)
    I think you made a valid point.
    If it was a Primark/George vest (or whatever) of just the right shade that someone had been searching for, they would probably buy it for £4.00.

I guess it's unrealistic of us customers to expect volunteers in the back room to differentiate between something that cost a couple of quid new and something that was a superior fabric and cut and probably cost 5 to 10 times that.
    I've seen dresses/tunics all priced the same (obviously shop policy) whether they are Primark, TU, M&S, Next, Monsoon, Mantaray, White Stuff or Seasalt.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im a charity shop supporter.

Today we cleared out Mr Sukis wardrobe and drawers, a full black sack of good quality, clean and pressed shirts, trousers and jackets will be heading out Monday along with a large carrier bag full of clothes which are worn in places, faded or snagged, which I will give them for ragging

I have picked which shop in town will be getting them because some of the small local independents will take the ones Ive identified as fit for ragging, and put them out for sale :eek:

They are also getting a pile of bed linen and the local animal rescue will be getting the not so good bed linen

In return I shall carry on plundering them when I get time getting excellent prices on good quality clothing. call me a snob but I won't buy primark/tescos/asda etc clothing from a charity shop

Do I need to shop in charity shops? Well I do work and do have a small amount of surplus cash after the bills and groceries are paid with which to buy clothes, books etc. But tbh I would only be able to afford Primark/tesco/asda etc. I like that I can afford better quality clothing by buying it second hand. Bits that I. will be wearing for years to come because the quality is better. We don't have the £1 charity shops and some prices are what some would consider "expensive for a charity shop" but as I say I only walk out with what I consider to be the better labels, or stuff that's BNWTs

And Im with Polly, I don't try anything on nor return anything. If I get it home and it doesn't fit, doesn't suit or I decide I don't like it, it gets donated straight back
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure