Inheritance while on benefits

Options
Not sure if this is the right place to post this as it covers more than one area but here goes.
My mum died earlier in the year so I'm soon to come into an inheritance of just under £100,000. However my wife and I currently live on benefits (have done for about fifteen years) due to her disability; realise that as soon as the money comes through we'll lose Income Support and Housing Benefit (we rent privately) which amounts to about £1100pm so the capital will dwindle fairly quickly over the next six or seven years.
My question is what is the best place to put the bulk of the money to get the best return over those years? Savings account interest rates are so dismal at the moment I just wondered if there was a better alternative. Any advice appreciated.
Procrastination is my middle name....well it would be if I could be ar**d to contact Deed Poll."

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,662 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What are property prices like in your area?
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I don't know the answer but just wanted to say your post was a breath of fresh air. You aren't trying to retain your benefits with a large inheritance.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • MikeJO
    MikeJO Posts: 374 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What are property prices like in your area?

Not an option sadly, we live in Devon and there's really nothing in our range. I appreciate there are areas of the country where buying a property would be an option but given my wife's health there's no way we could relocate away from all our family and her support network.
    Procrastination is my middle name....well it would be if I could be ar**d to contact Deed Poll."
  • MikeJO
    MikeJO Posts: 374 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know the answer but just wanted to say your post was a breath of fresh air. You aren't trying to retain your benefits with a large inheritance.

Several people have told me to do that ("you'll never get caught") but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, was never an option.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ok, first thing.

Start a pension for each of you. Even if you have no earned income, you can put in 2880 which becomes 3600 once tax relief is added. Keep doing this while you have the money to do so.

Second, you need cash savings to live on so put 12 months of the money into easy access savings. put the rest into a series/ladder of bonds, each one maturing when you need it. So 1, 2, 3 years etc.

If you have things that need repairing/replacing do so now esp if will make your/her life easier.

Consider moving to a cheaper or better equipped home now that you have access to cash for a security deposit?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess one of the first things to do is run through your current income and determine what is means tested and what is not, the difference will be what you're looking to finance from your inheritance and consequently give you a timespan for the money.

With some effort you could set up a range of current accounts and regular savers with your wife that would accommodate most of the money, maybe an average of 2.5% interest, though you would have to set up direct debits, using tesco savers accounts generally and organise standing orders to rotate the money around.

The traditional option for this over say six years would be to split the money into year blocks and invest them in fixed term savers, the longer the term the higher the rate generally, and you'd then have say £15000 a year coming out every year to live off.

Timespan would be too short for equity investment, if you did accept risk then p2p lending would give higher returns, though your capital is at risk, certainly possible to get around 1% a month on several platforms before defaults, and default rates are low on many platforms.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would you be able to use the money to buy in care for your wife so that you would be able to work part time?
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    Ok, first thing.

put the rest into a series/ladder of bonds, each one maturing when you need it. So 1, 2, 3 years etc.

Doubt if that will do better than best buy retail savings accounts, and sounds awful complicated for an amateur investor on the offchance of making a few quid that will go on loss of benefits anyway.
    I agree with the rest of your reply though. :)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £7500 in 3 Nationwide Flexdirect accounts is a must, at 5% interest with no direct debits required.
  • Sillym00
    Sillym00 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    If your wife is claiming PIP this can continue completely legitimately since it's not means tested.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure