Taking it slowly, but doing it well.

Options

Comments

• wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Today could be described as a bit of a financial disaster - my 'eating out pot is down to £3 for the rest of the month (£9 on ice creams at the farm today)
    The 'stuff I'll forget' pot is at £0 and 'spending money' is down to £18 this is because I've spent £50 on tickets for the three of us to ride behind Flying Scotsman at the local preserved railway line bank holiday weekend. It is soooo worth it. Pickle is a massive steam train fan already and can spot Flying scotsman, 'Euro tun tun'and mallard trains at 100 paces.

I am only ynab 'poor' Becuase of the priorities I have chosen for my money. I must remember that last month my saving goals increased by slightly more than my basic, monthly salary. I am doing well. I could choose to take money from my saving goals, or not put as much in them this month (very likely!!) but for now, I will try and be super frugal and see what happens.

Tomorrow is work for me, child minder's for Pickle, not sure what hubby is doing - I doubt it will be productive (although I could be proved wrong) and it all our wedding anniversary.

Wish.

Mse August Goals

MOP Pot £315.81 (massively under achieved last month)
    1) Next brick on the countdown house £50.72/£52.53
    2) interest added 0/10.68
    3) nice round number 0/£89.32
    4) MFW2018 August amount 0/57.47
    5) MFW2018 July catch up amount 0/105.81

13 Step plan
    £135/£600

NSDs
    3/6 (really not home much this month either)

1p a day challenge days
    11/31
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    August is an expensive month, this week alone is our wedding anniversary and my birthday. But never mind, due to YNAB I'm still within budgets, at the moment, 2 week's to go! Squeak squeak! (And I do know that this is all YNAB poor rather than actual poverty)

My birthday yesterday was fab, presents in the morning, brunch out & a rare cinema trip then cake (which i made in the evening. I did have a lot of house work type jobs to do, washing, tidying etc, due to two crazy days at work. Next week isn't going to be any better, I'm going to need to go away Thursday & Friday to sort an issue out.

This weekend we are going to stay with friends. Tricky to know the spends situation, but, we'll muddle through.

Wish.

Mse August Goals

1) Next brick on the countdown house £52.03/£52.53
    2) interest added 0/10.68

13 Step plan
    £135/£600

NSDs
    4/6 (really not home much this month either)

1p a day challenge days
    11/31
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy birthday for yesterday!

(And YNAB poor is a whole lot better than actually poor! That's at least what I need to remind myself of when staring at an empty category halfway through the month :rotfl:)
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    thanks Julicorn, an, you are right, I would rather be YNAB poor any day of the week. It's such a good feeling knowing I'm actually financially secure should anything happen.

Yesterday was urmmm 'interesting' we should be staying at a friend's house this weekend, but Pickle is poorly and the symptoms of this poorliness showed in the car, twice! Need to tackle cleaning the car seat covers now! Not pleasant, but we've had lots of cuddles, a quiet day and he is still asleep, so there has to be some positives.

Prior to this happening I did manage to spend over £100 (birthday money) in the online sale of one of my favourite shops using only my thumbprint! Scary. But cool.
    I went through tcb so whilst £1.14 in cashback is tiny, it's better than nothing. I've spent about half of my birthday gift money now. I know some of you put your birthday money into your overpayment pots, but that's not a route I want to go down. I don't have a specific clothes line on YNAB, if I buy anything year round it comes out of spending money so I top my wardrobe up twice a year at Christmas and birthday. I do need a new pair of 'everyday' trainers so I think that's what I'll spend the rest on.

I popped out in the afternoon to do a food shop that would make PinkyPig proud- £28 to get us through until next weekend (I hope) although hubby was complaining about the lack of 'munchy food'

Right, time to stop whittering, and get on with the day.

Wish.

Mse August Goals

1) Next brick on the countdown house £52.53/£52.53
    2) interest added £0.12/10.68

13 Step plan
    £135/£600

NSDs

1p a day challenge days
    11/31
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    Options
    Happy belated birthday Wish:D. Glad you had a lovely day.

Well done on keeping a hold of your budgets during a tight month - the temptation to say 'sod it' can be overwhelming:o
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    Options
    Happy belated birthday wish! :j

I completely agree, I also always make a point of putting gift money towards something fun. It's nice to be able to show the person who gave you money where it it went as well :)

Sorry to hear about the car incident... That's never a pleasant task.
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy belated birthday :)

Good to hear you used your birthday money on yourself- yay was indeed the intention of it from the gift-givers I'm sure. It's also good to have some things for yourself when you are budgeting/overpaying so you don't feel deprived x
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Thank you all for your lovely messages:

Pinky - the temptation to say 'sod it' isn't actually that big at the moment, that would mean taking money away from my mortgage neutral plan and I don't want to do that.

Julicorn & Kittenkirst - absolutely. The money was given to me to treat myself and treat myself I shall. I've spent about half so far, so I will enjoy spending the rest in the future.

Onto today:
    Pickle is still not right, he's not eating properly and very subdued, I do have to admit to it being nice not to having him tear around the house all day like a whirlwind, but I miss his smile.
    We did take him out to the library to choose some new books, but that's as far as he went.
    My friend took me out to lunch and paid for it, it was lovely. I've measured Pickle's feet, just need to find and order him some new shoes now.
    Spent £3.something in Ald1 this evening on milk, some croissants for breakfast and some nachos and dip for supper tonight. I'm quite tired now, so I'm going to finish my G&t & head to bed.

Wish.

Mse August Goals

1) Next brick on the countdown house £52.53/£52.53
    2) interest added £0.12/10.68

13 Step plan
    £135/£600

NSDs

1p a day challenge days
    11/31
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear Pickle is poorly. Let's hope he is back to feeling himself soon. Meanwhile enjoy the cuddles x
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear Pickle is poorly. Let's hope he is back to feeling himself soon. Meanwhile enjoy the cuddles x

Thank you, sorry I've taken so long to reply, having a bit of a 'muh ' week generally.

He's back to normal now thankfully. Eating like a horse. The rest of us managed to avoid it which is good news.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure