Teacher told child she could wet herself

Options

Comments

• BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jondav wrote: »
    Oh grow up for goodness sake, you are supposed to be the adult.

OMG made me chuckle. Thanks.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    BJV wrote: »
    Could not agree more .

My 11 year old would not want to talk to a male teacher. Not that she thinks that he would be embarrassed but she would.

My 14 year old son would equally find it embarrassing talking to a female teacher about an erection. Not sexism reality.

Funny I wondered when the sexism point would be raised. - Usually its shortly after someone makes a sexist comment.

" if you are loosing an argument pull out the ism??? " - Or, when it's actually an 'ism'
    Sexism, Racism, Ageism you name it. People are so frightened to be called an ism and honestly I am none that shy away. - called an ...ist not ism

How sad !!!!!

Strange I have just had to have some very personal medical tests the doctor and the hospital both times we proud to tell me that it would be done by female and lady doctors. - I suspect that's simply because of safeguarding, as intimate procedures fall under different rules

For safeguarding issues when children are a certain age in a charity I volunteered with, only same sex where allowed in changing rooms. - indeed, hardly comparable to discussing a topic with a child though This is because the young people who went said they felt less self conscious. MMM they must be sexist. - no, it's because the charity decided those were the rules and policies

God are they sexist too!!! Who knew the NHS and now the educational systems where so sexist.

try again please
  • Guest101
    Options
    BJV wrote: »
    Originally Posted by BJV View Post
    Ok. There are rules and they should be flexible as we are dealing with people, human beings and we are all different. - rules typically only apply to human beings.... Not be be pedantic but no they don't rules can apply to lots of different things. From building control to gravity. There are rules. - Gravity is a law, not a rule. That aside the building control applies to people, the building isn't going to break the rules, the occupiers or owners might.

Perhaps I am lucky but my children's local school advocate that education is a partnership. They want to be part of our community and they are. They are also very strict. Dress and behavior codes etc. - so you would be happy for a teacher to comment on your parenting? - It is not correct that teachers are trained to look out for signs of bad parenting. Don't they work with social workers already.? - No they don't. they are trained to look at signs of abuse. I'm talking about commenting on your parenting.

I do respect my children's teachers but if I disagree I will tell them. Privately not in public. Just like for ooh example when my daughter and her friends came home from school in tears because of the amount of pressure that the school was putting her under for the recent year 6 tests. Mass's of children going off sick, teachers screaming that they where all about to fail. Shouting that they would be letting the school down, disappointing their parents. ???? Really. ???? - I suspect that is only partially true. Did you ask the teacher what happened? Yes I did at parents evening. Her bottom lip got very wobbly and she said she was sorry and that she had been under a lot of pressure. It happens we all make mistakes. She had the grace and the nerve to to say sorry. If i had never made a mistake? We all make them. All good now. - indeed. good on her

I am proud of my two and want them to reach their full potential no matter what that is.

I spoke to the teacher and she apologized. She spoke to the head teacher. They sent a letter home in fact to all parents. They said that the school is under a lot of pressure and that it had filtered down. - because students were failing? TBH I don't think so. The school has excellent results and outstanding reputation within the area. But teachers are now under so much pressure to ensure that the results are among the best in the area. It has to come out somewhere??? I actually felt so sorry for her. She is a good teacher, nice person and made a mistake and had the good grace to admit it.

The point I make is that Teachers too are human they make good choices and bad. They make mistakes. They have good days and bad and can also feel pressure ? No one is perfect not me not you.

I think ultimately we will never agree and that is ok. You are entitled to your view as I am mine. You will raise your children as you believe to be the best way and I mine.
    Indeed, and I'm not going try convince you of my viewpoint. It is important that rules are followed. We have to throughout life and kids pick up on this early on.

if it's ok to break them early, it may be ok to break them later
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Someone likened it to prison....except in prison, they don't tell you when you can pee and when you can't.

Can't see why some people want to dictate others bathroom habits so badly. We ended slavery quite some time ago so no person has that kind of authority over anyone else. Fair enough if it was happening in a pattern, always at the same time (ie possibly trying to avoid a certain subject) then perhaps have a word with them/their parents. But allowing them out of class for the loo will have less disruption to their education (and their classmates) than making them sit for 2 hours crossing their legs & squirming in their seat because they're bursting.

When I was at school, we needed the toilet we said to the teacher (didnt have to say why) and then we went to the toilet. It was the same in primary, secondary & further education.

I was raised to respect authority, but at the same time I was raised not to blindly do what I was told just because. Perhaps I'm biased but I don't see that as a bad thing. For one, you won't ever hear me claiming "its not my fault, I was just doing what I was told". Teaching kids to do whatever they're told no matter what just feeds into a lack of personal responsibility. If I had even tried using that excuse I would have been asked "and if they had asked you to jump off a cliff, would you have done it?"
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • BJV
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Indeed, and I'm not going try convince you of my viewpoint. It is important that rules are followed. We have to throughout life and kids pick up on this early on.

if it's ok to break them early, it may be ok to break them later

No rules rule should never be broken. But some are so insignificant it makes no sense well to me at least to waste time enforcing them.

Again I stress don't think we will ever agree you see it as a matter of respect and control I see it in a different light and think that there are far more productive ways to assert authority.
  • BJV
    Options
    Someone likened it to prison....except in prison, they don't tell you when you can pee and when you can't.

Can't see why some people want to dictate others bathroom habits so badly. We ended slavery quite some time ago so no person has that kind of authority over anyone else. Fair enough if it was happening in a pattern, always at the same time (ie possibly trying to avoid a certain subject) then perhaps have a word with them/their parents. But allowing them out of class for the loo will have less disruption to their education (and their classmates) than making them sit for 2 hours crossing their legs & squirming in their seat because they're bursting. "

Could not of said it better. ( I have tried ) ha ha
  • Guest101
    Options

Can't see why some people want to dictate others bathroom habits so badly. We ended slavery quite some time ago so no person has that kind of authority over anyone else. - Your boss can legitimately tell you when you can and cannot use the bathroom. Fair enough if it was happening in a pattern, always at the same time (ie possibly trying to avoid a certain subject) then perhaps have a word with them/their parents. But allowing them out of class for the loo will have less disruption to their education (and their classmates) than making them sit for 2 hours crossing their legs & squirming in their seat because they're bursting. - or it may teach them to use the toilet appropriately.

When I was at school, we needed the toilet we said to the teacher (didnt have to say why) and then we went to the toilet. It was the same in primary, secondary & further education. - that's nice, but that's not the debate.

I was raised to respect authority, but at the same time I was raised not to blindly do what I was told just because. - that's fine. But you were taught that actions have consequences. Perhaps I'm biased but I don't see that as a bad thing. For one, you won't ever hear me claiming "its not my fault, I was just doing what I was told". - but you appreciate if you don't do as you're told you could for example lose your job. Teaching kids to do whatever they're told no matter what just feeds into a lack of personal responsibility. - that's simply not true. If you tell them to use the bathroom during a break, they are empowered to go during the required times. Its exactly that, taking personal responsibility. If I had even tried using that excuse I would have been asked "and if they had asked you to jump off a cliff, would you have done it?"

Well whoever asked you that was ignorant
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Have weeing threads replaced school uniform threads?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    Well whoever asked you that was ignorant

Perhaps you think your employer can legitimately tell you to avoid a basic biological function/need, but many people do not agree with you. I've never heard of any job stopping people going to the toilet when needed - not even amazon (who had their working conditions likened to concentration camps). Some may have a policy in place to ensure its not abused, but not one that actually prevents people from going.

Indeed taking an overzealous approach could be an intrusion into their privacy - as I said, we abolished slavery. Your employer does not own you - not even on company time. They're merely paying you to perform duties.

As for teaching them to do what they're told without question not feeding into a lack of personal responsibility....I didn't realise you had a PhD in psychology. Where did you study?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Guest101
    Options
    Perhaps you think your employer can legitimately tell you to avoid a basic biological function/need - not think, know. My employer doesn't, but it's perfectly reasonable for an employer to tell you when you can be excused from work duties. , but many people do not agree with you - what do you mean agree or not. that's what employment law says. . I've never heard of any job stopping people going to the toilet when needed - cashiers, driver, home carers, security officers, police, military, call centre. Your employer decides when you take holiday, when you take break and when you are working. - not even amazon (who had their working conditions likened to concentration camps). Some may have a policy in place to ensure its not abused, but not one that actually prevents people from going. - Which is no different to a school. there is a policy of going between lessons. An employer may have an equivalent.

Indeed taking an overzealous approach could be an intrusion into their privacy - on what basis? - as I said, we abolished slavery. Your employer does not own you - not even on company time. They're merely paying you to perform duties. - and to not do other things. You cant sit on your phone. You cant have a beer and a cigarette. etc. etc. You may not like it, but that is not relevant

As for teaching them to do what they're told without question not feeding into a lack of personal responsibility....I didn't realise you had a PhD in psychology. Where did you study?

If you have a problem with my argument, present it. Don't question my qualifications to make the argument.

I don't have a PhD in history but I understand that there are lessons to be learnt. I didn't witness the second world war, but I understand the horrors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure