PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What's the oddest thing your seller has left in your new home?

Options

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All his tools, he was a joiner and avid DIYer. Bought house from his Son when he died, he didn't want or need anything so told us to keep or throw anything.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ithaca wrote: »
    Conkers. Everywhere, all over the place, in literally every corner of the house. We still turn up the odd one or two over two years later.

Apparently there's a folk myth that conkers keep spiders out of the house so I assume the previous owner (chap in his 80s) scattered them around to keep eight-legged beasties away (doesn't seem to have worked though!).

We had conkers in an airing cupboard at a rental once too - I think I left them there when we moved out
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Zippeh
    Zippeh Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A cotton bud with blood on it. Yey.
  • DREKLY
    DREKLY Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    an elephant, in a trunk, in the loft,
    prevoius owner was a magician....

A week later, the elephant disappeared too... :)
    16 x Enhance 250w panels + SolarEdge Inverter + TREES :(
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    When we moved into our last house there were dozens of large boxes of school books (literally hundreds if not thousands of books - 40 or 50 copies of 20 or so titles). There was no identification for which school they belonged to so we donated them via a friend to a local high school.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    I moved into a student house once that had so many toenail clippings on the carpets, in every single room, that I couldn't believe they'd come from just the previous inhabitants.

I think they must have invited a few hundred of their friends round for a toenail cutting party on their last night in the place. Its the only explanation I can come up with.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What amazing things people find. :D
  • Harryp_24
    Harryp_24 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    A tree branch, glued to a wall in a corner. !!!!ing weird. Also an Nintendo, a Harry Potter book and a 29 year old bottle of champagne worth £150. We drank it and it was !!!!ing horrible.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Harryp_24 wrote: »
    A tree branch, glued to a wall in a corner. !!!!ing weird. Also an Nintendo, a Harry Potter book and a 29 year old bottle of champagne worth £150. We drank it and it was !!!!ing horrible.

Hmm, we've still got a bottle of 1995 Moet our tenants left behind in the garage when they moved out. Hope it's still worth drinking, OH suggested we crack it open when we had our offer accepted on the next house, good job we didn't as the new purchase is taking forever.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    DREKLY wrote: »
    an elephant, in a trunk, in the loft,
    prevoius owner was a magician....

A week later, the elephant disappeared too... :)

I hope you checked your fridge for footprints in the butter!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure