Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 August 2017 at 9:20AM
    Options
    Oh Sue, thank goodness :eek:

Welcome to the NP thread seven-day-weekend. This is, I'm glad to say, a rather gentler place than DT!

michaels It depends on the film.....there are some I don't mind watching over again. Witness is one (particularly the barn-raising, and the bit where it looks as if he's about to kiss her in the barn and then doesn't :D), and I'm quite fond of Raiders of the Lost Ark. I wouldn't seek them out especially, but am happy to watch them again when they rock up on TV and there's not much else on. Likewise Grease and Dirty Dancing (I know, I know , "women's films".) because I enjoy the songs. Yesterday I saw Tangled for the first time and it was quite fun, but I wouldn't bother again :p

Pyxis I saw Passport to Pimlico when I was too young to appreciate it, and when it comes on TV now I always find I've missed it yet again!
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Forgot to reply to Michaels' quote as I got sidetracked by food. :D

Do you mean rewatch films straight away or some time later?

I wouldn't want to watch a film again, unless I'd missed a chunk of it for some reason, (like falling asleep!), but I might want to watch it some years later. It just depends.

I do like the old British black and white films, though. Some of those I've seen several times on the TV.

I've probbly got about 20 films on DVD that I really enjoy and will watch every few years, usually on a wet winters afternoon.

I never actually just watch something, I'm always reading or doing something so it can take about three watches of anything for me to really get it:o

I haven't got fussier about food at all as I've got older. I never like King Prawns, still don't like King Prawns. Used to eat anything, still do.:D
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've seen Dunkirk, and although it was well worth seeing, it was pretty intense and I'll not be seeing it again. There are plenty of great films i've never got round to seeing even once- I only just got round to seeing The Third Man a couple of weeks ago.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Dambusters.
    I love watching the footage of the bouncing bomb going boing boing.

The footage of that wasn't actually the Upkeep weapon used for the dams raid because that was still classified at the time the film was made. The footage used was tests of the Highball naval version which was never used in combat. Similarly, the closeup footage of the bomb was deliberately inaccurate in shape and didn't include the mechanoism that gave the bomb the all-important backspin.

Still a dam (LOL) good film though - it's one of my WWII favourites, along with Reach For The Sky, The Colditz Story, Sink the Bismarck, The Eagle Has Landed, Kelly's Heroes and Schindler's List.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »

Pyxis I saw Passport to Pimlico when I was too young to appreciate it, and when it comes on TV now I always find I've missed it yet again!

You can watch it free online.... there are two or three sites that offer it for free if you log in to their site.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Free Ancestry alert! email arrived this morning.

Access to the records in the featured collections will be free from 00:01 BST on 25 August 2017 to 23:59 BST on 28 August 2017.

It's all UK and Ireland records.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 August 2017 at 1:56PM
    Options
    ukmaggie45 wrote: »
    Free Ancestry alert! email arrived this morning.

Access to the records in the featured collections will be free from 00:01 BST on 25 August 2017 to 23:59 BST on 28 August 2017.

It's all UK and Ireland records.

Cheers, I've got a nice little list to look up.

The trouble is ... once you've gone through 3-4 freebies ... you've pretty much got most stuff - and subsequent freebies mean you're starting with a little list of 2-3 look ups for really really distant stubs of the tree :)

Just checked my list and there are a couple of fellas to look up on a ships list .... but that doesn't mean I didn't check last time too.

And a chap by the right name (which is a common name), but that's the Canadian Census of 1935.

3rd and final item on my list of lookups says original PRs for one village - and my note then says "This is the upline/across/downline of Mary" and as it's dated 1817 I've already gone back 7 generations before it goes across and down :)

I've simply ....run out of people to look up :)

I think I need a new thing to do this time.... I think I need to compile a list of which original PRs are on ANC within relevant villages.

*sighs* .... you can't please me any of the time it seems :)

I've also got a note to look up a tithe map in a village....

I probably need a new/better list of lookups. So I can compile that today, make it more filterable/searchable than it is.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    LydiaJ wrote: »
    Welcome! I like your sig. Do tell us a bit more about yourself, and what led you to the obscure corner of the world that is the NPT :hello:

Apologies not necessary and birthday wishes gratefully accepted from all NP who have posted them. :)

Thanks for liking my sig:) I am female,age 67, just coming up to my 46th wedding anniversary, one son of 37, no grandchildren.

I am a practising Christian and at the moment attend a C of E church although I have only just started going there after leaving my last church of eight years for various reasons. I might not stay there yet, still deciding. I'm not bothered about denomination.

I live in a lovely bungalow on the northwest edge of the West Midlands conurbation and have two elderly tabby cats.

I happened to notice the discussion when I logged in and thought it made a nice change from all the nastiness on Discussion Time. :)

Is that enough??
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When does he go, Sue?

16th September
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    I've seen Dunkirk, and although it was well worth seeing, it was pretty intense and I'll not be seeing it again. There are plenty of great films i've never got round to seeing even once- I only just got round to seeing The Third Man a couple of weeks ago.

We saw Dunkirk a few days ago, Josh wasn't so interested but it was results day, Joe had said he would like to see it as his results success treat and so he tagged along.

Both me and Joe loved it although we both found it rather intense, moving and thought provoking but then that is an subject and era of interest to both of us (mine is the holocaust after I did an in depth study when I was 14, his is more the political side of WW2). Josh wasn't so keen but he thought it was a good film.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure