Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Do NP like to watch movies more than once? I am of the 'I've seen it now I want to watch something new' persasuion and just assumed everyone would be like this but my kids even now they are older are much happier choosing something they have seen before than trying something new. I can't ever remember being like this but then it is a long time since I was young.....
    Can I very nicely say that I hate peanut butter?
    Yes!

I'm a bit funny with peanut butter.
    To start with, I'd much rather have the chunky stuff than the smooth stuff, (but then I much prefer the really coarse, dark marmalade full of bits, than the smooth, bitless marmalade).

However, I really have to be in the mood for peanut butter. This may occur every 1-2 years. Maybe it coincides with a comet passing, or something.

Does anyone else find that they're getting fussier and fussier as they get older, as to what they really like?

I mean, I'll eat most things if really pushed to, but the number of things I really, really enjoy is diminishing.
    It's not that my taste buds are failing or anything, I just find that most food isn't all that well cooked or put together, my own cooking included!

I suppose part of it is that we're cutting out a lot of fat and salt, and they are two of the things that probably make a dish tasty.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Pyxis
    Options
    Forgot to reply to Michaels' quote as I got sidetracked by food. :D

Do you mean rewatch films straight away or some time later?

I wouldn't want to watch a film again, unless I'd missed a chunk of it for some reason, (like falling asleep!), but I might want to watch it some years later. It just depends.

I do like the old British black and white films, though. Some of those I've seen several times on the TV.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,094 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Yes!

I'm a bit funny with peanut butter.
    To start with, I'd much rather have the chunky stuff than the smooth stuff, (but then I much prefer the really coarse, dark marmalade full of bits, than the smooth, bitless marmalade).

However, I really have to be in the mood for peanut butter. This may occur every 1-2 years. Maybe it coincides with a comet passing, or something.

Does anyone else find that they're getting fussier and fussier as they get older, as to what they really like?

I mean, I'll eat most things if really pushed to, but the number of things I really, really enjoy is diminishing.
    It's not that my taste buds are failing or anything, I just find that most food isn't all that well cooked or put together, my own cooking included!

I suppose part of it is that we're cutting out a lot of fat and salt, and they are two of the things that probably make a dish tasty.

When I find something I really like, I stick to it until totally bored.

At the moment it is stem ginger oat biscuits.

Dislike marmite, peanut butter and marmalade.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I love marmite and marmalade (as long as it's dark and chunky).
    Hate mushrooms and peanut butter.
    Texture is very important to me in food - really don't like food with no defined texture. Not sure how marmite gets in there but has to be spread on chunky toast/bread..
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,080 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    When I find something I really like, I stick to it until totally bored.
    Is that your answer to the movie question too?
    hjd wrote: »
    I love marmite and marmalade (as long as it's dark and chunky).
    Dark and chunky marmite...now there is a mental image I wish I had never had....
    I think....
  • Pyxis
    Options

Dark and chunky marmite...now there is a mental image I wish I had never had....

Makes you wonder what the chunks would be. :eek:

Macro yeasty fruiting bodies? :eek:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do NP like to watch movies more than once? I am of the 'I've seen it now I want to watch something new' persasuion and just assumed everyone would be like this but my kids even now they are older are much happier choosing something they have seen before than trying something new. I can't ever remember being like this but then it is a long time since I was young.....

I have a selection of favourites from which I will often choose again and again - not the same one again and again, I hasten to add.
    Then I have ones that I haven't watched yet and keep meaning to, one of which I finally got around to watching the other night and wish I hadn't put it off for so long - The Theory of Everything, the Stephen Hawking story which was more than rather good IMO. No wonder the actor playing Hawking got an Oscar, he played a very difficult subject very well indeed.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    I have a selection of favourites from which I will often choose again and again - not the same one again and again, I hasten to add.
    Then I have ones that I haven't watched yet and keep meaning to, one of which I finally got around to watching the other night and wish I hadn't put it off for so long - The Theory of Everything, the Stephen Hawking story which was more than rather good IMO. No wonder the actor playing Hawking got an Oscar, he played a very difficult subject very well indeed.

Was that the one that covered his early life only?

If so, then yes, I've seen that, and it was good.

Just googled it to remind myself who played him... Eddie Redmayne.

At one point he was on TV a lot, but haven't seen him in anything for a while.

I think he also played Angel in a TV production of Tess of the D'Urbevilles, amongst many other roles.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Love mushrooms, bit marmite about marmite.

Belated Happy Birthday Lydia!

I do watch films more than once if they merit it, sometimes it has to be a very long time in between, sometimes in can be as short as a week.

Had a panic Friday/Saturday, Joe wants me to stay overnight when we drop him off at uni in case he needs me, so once we found out which halls (and consequently which day) for drop off I went off to trawl around the internet to book a hotel/B&B/AirBnB. There was nothing! Lincoln was full!

Several glimmers of hope arrived Saturday morning with possible vacancies but all came to nothing until trying my last last hope discovered they had just had someone cancel 3 rooms.

Turns out there is a massive food and drink festival on on the weekend all the kids are arriving at the uni....traffic is going to be chaos!
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    When does he go, Sue?

I don't mind how often I see some films.

Let's see........

Brief Encounter is one.

Passport to Pimlico et sim.

The Dambusters.
    I love watching the footage of the bouncing bomb going boing boing. They included that in a recent repeat of Foyle's War, (about a research engineer doing secret war work which included that bomb),

I know they're not really films as such, but I adore the Miss Marple series with Joan Hickson.(Infinitely better than previous or subsequent attempts). They are so true to the books.
    In fact, I bought the lot on CDs, and the Poirot ones a s well.

Oh dear, my mind's gone blank, now.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport