Forum Home» Debate House Prices & the Economy

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness. - Page 542

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Debate House Prices

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team and we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand. As a result, we’ve reluctantly decided to temporarily close the Debate House Prices & the Economy Board so that we can redirect our limited resources to those who need us most at this time.

Please do not post content intended for this board elsewhere in the forum – we appreciate your help and understanding during this exceptionally difficult time. It goes without saying, we hope to get back to full business as soon as possible!

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

edited 27 November 2018 at 5:11AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
10.9K replies 105.5K views

Replies

• PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't watch the news, telly's been on the blink again since last night. Red standby light's on this time, but the remote doesn't persuade it to turn on :)

I don't mind... I think having less telly available has been one of the things that's enabled me to plod on with housey things as I don't get sucked into watching some dire programme or other... because it's easier to find/watch something rubbish than to pick up a sanding sheet and get started with painting etc.

In the olden days when we often had power cuts and/or the telly on the blink for some reason/TV strike etc., I was always amazed at how much I got done.

When I bought my first house, I couldn't afford a TV, and I got through loads more books than normal, and all sorts! (Until a kind neighbour lent me their old black and white portable TV! :D)

You always make these resolutions to keep the TV off for longer, but you soon slip back into old habits!

Sue! That's brilliant! :T :T
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    17.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But, I just emptied it ... it's surprising what else has been kept.... empty box for an inflatable mattress "in case" ... in case of what? It'll never fit back in that box ...

So true! I bought a tent that came wrapped in a bag inside a cardboard box. When it came to folding up the tent after use, I just managed to squeeze all the bits into the box and the bag (using both of them separately, not one inside the other). How do the packers at the factory manage it?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    How do the packers at the factory manage it?

Folded by machines then rolled through rollers and into a box.
  • JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pyxis wrote: »
    In the olden days when we often had power cuts and/or the telly on the blink for some reason/TV strike etc., I was always amazed at how much I got done.

When I bought my first house, I couldn't afford a TV, and I got through loads more books than normal, and all sorts! (Until a kind neighbour lent me their old black and white portable TV! :D)

You always make these resolutions to keep the TV off for longer, but you soon slip back into old habits!

Sue! That's brilliant! :T :T

I was talking to an elderly lady some time back. Can't remember what about, but I asked her if she had seen something on TV that was relevant.

She was adamant that TV was a complete waste of time, she had never had a set.

Which is fair enough.
    But it set me thinking.
    I'm not talking about the things that are absolutely necessary to live a reasonably comfortable life, but at the end of the day, on a Cosmic scale, aren't most of mankind's undertakings "A waste of time"?
    Surely whatever you do in your spare time (do we have spare time?) is a waste of time. . . :D
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    I was talking to an elderly lady some time back. Can't remember what about, but I asked her if she had seen something on TV that was relevant.

She was adamant that TV was a complete waste of time, she had never had a set.

Which is fair enough.
    But it set me thinking.
    I'm not talking about the things that are absolutely necessary to live a reasonably comfortable life, but at the end of the day, on a Cosmic scale, aren't most of mankind's undertakings "A waste of time"?
    Surely whatever you do in your spare time (do we have spare time?) is a waste of time. . . :D
    The thing about TV is that it is a blessing and a curse! :D

I have learned a ton of stuff from TV, all sorts of things, and not just from factual programmes, but even from soaps and variety shows.

Then, of course, there are the factual programmes which can be both entertaining and extremely useful.

It can enable people on their own to feel connected with the world, and part of the community.

Then, there is the informative aspect of it...... news, world events, local events, etc.

However, The downside is that I do believe it can influence behaviour, usually in a not very nice way. It can work the other way, but 'nice' behaviour doesn't attractive large viewing figures!
    I'm a great believer in the old Public Announcement shorts, about things like being courteous on the roads, wearing something white at night, what to do if you smell gas, etc.
    Even if adults don't take any notice, they can affect children's future behaviour for the better.

And the other downside is that it is addictive, stifles conversation, particularly if meals are eaten while watching it etc., and can divide families if each child has a TV in their bedroom. (However, the Internet on phones probably does that even more now!).

It can prevent people being active, and/or doing other activities, because it is such a cheap and convenient form of entertainment.

So, I suppose it can be a waste of time, but not always! It's like everything........ we need a mixture.

One person's waste of time is another person's huge joy in life.

I once knew someone who hated music.......hated having it on the house, thought that listening to it was a waste of time. His wife loved it, so had to listen to it in a separate room! (In the days before mobile devices).
    Someone else thought that doing anything that didn't produce something tangible was a waste of time...........so cleaning was ok, painting a picture wasn't. Knitting a garment to be worn was ok, reading a book wasn't. (Unless you could earn money from the intangible thing!)

It's also like the continual fight about funding the Arts .......... a lot of people think that's a waste of resources. (:eek:)
    Or having music and art taught in schools. (:eek:)

It took me a great many years to realise that 'standing and staring' is actually a very productive thing to do. I always used to feel that if I wasn't doing something, it was a waste of time. So, feeling the need to be constantly on the go.
    When I did realise that just taking time out to stare into space, or at the sky or at a flower bed, or just sit with a cup of tea, was actually allowing my brain to recharge, as well as being conscious of my surroundings, I 'allowed' myself to do that, and considered it a productive use of time, as it meant I had a bit more energy later on.
    'Switching off' to save one's internal electricity, iyswim!

Day-dreaming is also a useful way of 'practising' for an event, or just letting one's mind do its own thing.

Even doing something, getting it all wrong and spheroiding it all up can be useful, rather than a waste of time, as you do learn from the experience, frustrating though it be at the time! :rotfl:

Edit.......sorry, I've rambled on a bit!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did an insignificant tip run, hedge clippings, bit of cardboard, couple of old bits of clothes and a couple of old BT hubs, the household bin contents from the last 2 weeks as I didn't bother putting it out as it's so tiny ....

That Marie Kondo woman would shortly say "but ... you've got no stuff in your house - you need to buy more stuff so you can declutter!".

It's all "getting there" .... little by little, little task by little task ... even if I only pick up a single paper clip and walk it to the recycling bin ... it's one more thing gone.

Nobody's timing me .... and if I'd tried to rush at it I'd have just become morose and down .... as it is, piddling about, bit here, faff there, it's not been so noticeable as some crazy manic rush to go through and do it.

I've also not broken into a sweat (except the bit where I was sitting on the sofa THINKING about painting, that makes you sweat!)..... but it's now wholly "presentable and unembarrassing" should anybody wander round.... not viewers, but "people", like handymen or something....

Looks like I live in a house now and not Steptoe's annexe.

:eek: :eek: My paperclips are precious! I use loads, so am always salvaging them and putting them into my dedicated paperclip dish (which is the plastic lid from a tub of Johnson's cotton buds! Gosh, those lids are so incredibly useful....for all sorts of bits and pieces!)

I'd never put them into the recycling! :cool:

Apart from their use as, well, paperclips, they are brilliant as short poky things for, well, poking into things that need to be poked, for some reason. :)
    Or when the fob comes off a zipper on your bag.
    Or just as an emergency piece of wire, for those moments when you are in desperate need of a short piece of wire! :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    :eek: :eek: My paperclips are precious! I use loads, so am always salvaging them and putting them into my dedicated paperclip dish (which is the plastic lid from a tub of Johnson's cotton buds! Gosh, those lids are so incredibly useful....for all sorts of bits and pieces!)

I'd never put them into the recycling! :cool:

Apart from their use as, well, paperclips, they are brilliant as short poky things for, well, poking into things that need to be poked, for some reason. :)
    Or when the fob comes off a zipper on your bag.
    Or just as an emergency piece of wire, for those moments when you are in desperate need of a short piece of wire! :)

While I'd agree, for the most part - this particular one was ancient and thin and a bit rusty ... :)
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeons ago I made the mistake of buying my daughter a t-shirt which had a little jingly song when you pressed part of the design on the front.
    Can't remember what it was.

Trouble was, it kept getting pressed by accident, so was very annoying. It was a really, really annoying tinny jingle, and went on for ages each time.

Anyway, one day, after this thing had infiltrated my brain comstantly for ages, I just flipped, ripped the t-shirt off over her head, threw it on the ground and jumped up and down on it.

It wouldn't stop. Reached for a hammer and bashed it. Still played. Bash bash bash bash.
    Loads of bashes later, it finally stopped.

(It wasn't child abuse.... she didn't like it much either, and anyway, I think she got a real buzz out of seeing mum acting like a beresk gorilla on speed! :D
    She probably dined out on that for ages! :D)

So I sympathise, Pastures!

One good thing about the dog version of those is that when you hear the squeak, you know where the dog is, and what it's doing.

A quiet dog, not in the same room as yourself, when they are young, is a big sign of trouble!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• LydiaJLydiaJ Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    One good thing about the dog version of those is that when you hear the squeak, you know where the dog is, and what it's doing.

A quiet dog, not in the same room as yourself, when they are young, is a big sign of trouble!

Avatar Dog could and did kill any toy with a squeaker in under a minute.
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • JackmydadJackmydad Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I was a child I had a tin drum.
    Years later we were moving furniture.
    It was on the top of my parent's wardrobe.
    Wonder how it got there! :D
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support