Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Does Pastures impersonate Death in her spare time? :eek:

Sounds like a great way to deal with ferrals. If sheer fear factor of just looking at them doesn't work, shake a scythe in their direction (not really but we can all dream).
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I made a pancake batter with milk, flour and eggs, could I freeze it in its batter state?
    Yes, it's commonly done in supermarkets when you can buy a toad in the hole that's entirely uncooked frozen batter.
  • chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well. that's my wrist well and truly slapped!

No wrist-slapping intended. I didn't know so I Googled it and, since I didn't know, thought it best to qualify my reply with the source.
  • chris_m
    Options
    Yes, it's commonly done in supermarkets when you can buy a toad in the hole that's entirely uncooked frozen batter.

Entirely? What, no toad in it?
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It does have "toad" in it - we buy it occasionally :D

Well done on the furniture assembling, Pastures - I don't think I could do it.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    It does have "toad" in it - we buy it occasionally :D

Well done on the furniture assembling, Pastures - I don't think I could do it.

You probably could, Ivy!

The trick is laying out all the components, identifying them all, counting them to ensure they're all there, then like any good teacher tells you, read each bit and then read it again!

It also helps to read all the way through the instructions first, before starting, because that way, you get to identify possible pitfalls, or components that look similar but are used for different bits.

I think where a lot of people might come a cropper is in rushing the assembly, or not identifying every bit first and then using the wrong bit for something.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• PasturesNew
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    Entirely? What, no toad in it?

Pedant. :)
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You probably could, Ivy!

The trick is laying out all the components, identifying them all, counting them to ensure they're all there, then like any good teacher tells you, read each bit and then read it again!

It also helps to read all the way through the instructions first, before starting, because that way, you get to identify possible pitfalls, or components that look similar but are used for different bits.

I think where a lot of people might come a cropper is in rushing the assembly, or not identifying every bit first and then using the wrong bit for something.

My late MIL, who by her own admission wasn't very good at DIY, successfully put several smaller pieces of furniture together in her later years. I think she surprised herself.
    As you say Pyxis, it's a matter of giving yourself the time to do it, reading the instructions, and identifying and laying out the parts.
    I still hate doing it. The worst was a big wardrobe. double width and drawers beneath, shelves on one side.
    Despite having a drill driver, and a compressed air stapler to put the backs on, that took hours!
  • chris_m
    Options
    Pedant. :)

Who are you calling a peasant?
    ;)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 9 June 2018 at 7:53AM
    Options
    Just made a vase and a flower display :)

Go me! It's not "right" yet and will require more work, but it's a good start.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure