Ryanair sits hen party in FIFTEEN separate rows as outrage over seating policy grows

Options

Comments

• masseyattack
    Options
    I'm flying with Ryanair in a few days and found that despite checking in the moment that free check-in opened (I literally had an alarm on my phone for this) I'm sat away from my partner. Most annoyingly there are free seats next to both of us. Disgusting tactic by Ryanair to force people to pay to sit together. Fair enough they can't guarantee that a party of 10+ might not sit together but for two people to be separated completely stinks.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm flying with Ryanair in a few days and found that despite checking in the moment that free check-in opened (I literally had an alarm on my phone for this) I'm sat away from my partner. Most annoyingly there are free seats next to both of us. Disgusting tactic by Ryanair to force people to pay to sit together. Fair enough they can't guarantee that a party of 10+ might not sit together but for two people to be separated completely stinks.
    How much would it cost to pay for 2 seats together?
  • Basildon
    Options
    There may also be another reason for the centre seats in row.
    I tried to book a return flight but only paying for seats on the way back but taking pot luck on the way out but couldn't.
    I had the choice of paying both ways or not paying both ways so made 2 separate bookings to get around this
  • SaveTheEuro
    SaveTheEuro Posts: 970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    And finally, Ryanair admits what what we all knew, it has changed the seating algorithms.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-oleary-seating-complaints-3503581-Jul2017/
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    reasonable and logical explanation IMO
    Have we changed our policy? No! But the algorithms that allocate are changing on a daily basis and will continue to change because they are driven by demand. We now have more than 50% of our customers paying for reserve seats.
    They overwhelmingly select the window and the aisle seat which means, yes, if you want a random seat it’s far more likely to be in the centre.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would like to know the percentage of single passengers as opposed to 2 people flying together.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • buffycam
    Options
    I'm flying to Berlin with my partner tomorrow and we decided not to pay for specific seats. Ryanair's "random" allocation has just given me a front row seat and put him in the emergency exit rows.... fifteen rows apart and in the middle seat, obviously. This is despite there being a few pairs of seats and loads of window and aisle seats free. Funny thing is, if we'd wanted to actually book these premium, extra leg room seats, we would have had to pay a total of £30 :rotfl:
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You are in the perfect position to offer to swap a seat to get what you want.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • buffycam
    Options
    Interestingly, although I chose not to pay for a specific seat allocation on the way out to Berlin this weekend (and got extra leg room seats for free, interestingly the only unallocated middle seats left - see my other post), I do still have the option to pay on the way back.......
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    antenna wrote: »
    I would like to know the percentage of single passengers as opposed to 2 people flying together.
    Very large, the flights are often nearly full of Eastern and Southern European workers on a trip between homestead and UK work location.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure