PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe for coleslaw

Options
It seemed a good idea to use the carrots and white cabbage I have in to make a home-made coleslaw. I've put them through a food processr and now I'm wondering what to do next. I have a large jar of mayonnaise but know I need to add something to it, before mixing with the raw veg, but not sure what. Onion? Vinegar? Other? No idea about quantities either. (All the recipes I can find assume I want to make my own mayonnaise - but I don't; I just want to "tweak" a bought one)..

Help!

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use finely sliced white cabbage, carrot and onion, add a big tablespoon of mayo, start with a little and work upto the consistency you like, and a touch of salt and pepper, stir through and taste, you can add a little whole grain mustard or Dijon- it's down to taste.

Hope you enjoy it - it's a favourite here :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Gyum!
    I'd definitely add fine,y sliced onion, a dash of olive oil to loosen the mayo and a tiny spot of mustard for a bit of a kick.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing you could get easily as many different recipes for coleslaw as there are contributors to this thread!...Everyone has their own way of preparing it.

My choice would be to add some shredded celeriac to the mix...(.my sister would add shredded onion)....depending on what I have available (want to use up!) and what I am serving the slaw with I might add some grated apple....and maybe some nuts.....if I have red cabbage then this is good mixed with the white cabbage too.

For the dressing, I add a dash of vinegar and a splodge of mustard to the mayo.....and remember not too much mayo...you only want to coat the salad.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Beyond what you've got (cabbage/carrot) you just dollop in the mayo and mix it through until "it looks just how you like it to look".

Beyond that it's a question of what you've got/like in yours. Onion is nice, but after that you can "go mad" with anything you fancy at all.

I often make a curry one by adding curry powder... which also lends itself to a bit of mandarin ... or raisins/sultanas. Or I'll toss some peppers in IF I've got them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks everyone - some great ideas!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I like to mix the mayo with natural yoghurt or creme fraiche, mustard and a pinch of chilli powder or hot paprika. I prefer spring onions to other types mainly because I'm not a huge raw onion fan and if it's around for a couple of days I find the onion taste becomes very strong.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine is red and white cabbage, finely sliced leeks, grated carrot, grated courgette and anything like radishes or celery that I happen to have around.
    Mixed with mayonnaise plus any of the other flavours already mentioned here.

I make quite a bit and any of the vegetable mixture not used in the coleslaw can be a stir-fry another day.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Lindlou
    Lindlou Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    White cabbage, thinly sliced white onion, some grated carrot, mayo and some salad cream ..........
    Never, ever give up........
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Shredded white or red cabbage, grated carrot, finely chopped onion, a dollop of mayo, splash of extra virgin olive oil and a grinding of pepper. :D

Much better than the SM offerings imho.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 June 2017 at 10:51PM
    Options
    I often make an asian slaw
    I usually use ribbon carrots, courgette and cucumber, add little bit of sesame oil, lemon juice and fresh ginger
    but I have used cabage in it as well
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure