Finally found the strength to get debt free 💪

Options

Comments

• hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Whoop amazing work. another one down.

I think I need to get back to meal planning I have a freezer and cupboards full but have a food shop coming today as my fridge was empty and I panicked. Maybe I'll try a chilli and see if the boys like it. With have a baby I like to cook everything from fresh sauces etc and I think this is bumping up my food shop for the time being. X
    emergency fund:£179/ £1000 Uniform/car fund:£
    boys savings £
    Christmas £60 bday £40 holiday £

Family loan £7000/£5425
    Credit Card 0% £2015.32 eon £435 overdrafts £1500/£1300
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    That's fantastic! What a great start to the day!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Angela84
    Angela84 Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a quiet day today, had zero energy because of AF I think.
    I swapped the girls wardrobes over which I've been wanting to do for ages, now the bank holiday is over I've officially declared it autumn/winter in my house :rotfl: Have so kindly been gifted every single item of clothes in the girls wardrobes, and taking 2 bags to charity shop tomorrow and 2 bags to a friend with a younger baby girl.
    Rang virgin to try and cancel but I'm tied in until December, so I've scheduled in my diary to call and cancel them then, and just get a cheaper broadband deal.
    Also went online and filled in a form and realised I qualify for free 30hrs childcare for my 2yr when she turns 3 in November so that's good for when I'm working 3 days a week.

Whilst tidying up earlier I thought more about what I said in my last post, that is been leaving these debts to roll onwards as I thought I might get rich one day, and I realised that that's actually what has always been in the back of my mind! It's only starting to dawn on me now that maybe I won't be! I feel so silly even saying it! I think it's all part of an annoying part of my personality I'm always battling with, where I never feel satisfied with what I've got, I'm always thinking towards the next step, when I'm thinner/richer/the children are older and easier. I'm trying really hard to stop and temmeber that I can't get these days back, this is not a trial run, try and enjoy each moment and be grateful for what I have right now.
    LBM January 2017 £34k will have paid back finally by my DFD May 2021
    got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    A mantra that I've recently learnt is "this too shall pass" it really helps get you through tough testing times (which you need if your kids are anything like mine) but it's also really helped me to stop and appreciate the good times too. Maybe you'll be rich one day maybe you won't but enjoy the ride either way. Xxx
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • Angela84
    Options
    That's one I'll ponder on thanks Hannah!

A good day today, did the food shop for the next 10 days which came to £60, higher than normal but I've factored in making myself healthy lunches all next week too and I did it 2 days earlier than normal as I had nothing else to do today!
    Here's our meal plan: thursday fish and chips, Friday gammon eggs and pineapple (both are 'using up what I've found in the freezer meals') Saturday were out, Sunday roast dinner, Monday veggie chilli, Tuesday veggie chilli, Wednesday burgers, Thursday spaghetti, Friday curry. The children decided on that weekly menu for the next few weeks to keep life simple. Weve got jelly and fruit for pudding, which the children decided they'll have the same pud all week to make life easier too.

Picked up eldest new school trousers, 4 pairs for £5 second hand but practically new so that's him sorted. And he's decided he doesn't want the tablet I recently bought him as he rarely uses it so I'll try and sell that for £100 tomorrow.

Invited to a big local concert on the weekend as husband knows the organiser so we've got free VIP entry, nice! Better find my wellies!
    got my first store card on my 18th birthday, never known a life without the grey cloud of debt looming over me. 18yrs and the end is finally in sight 🤩
  • Angela84
    edited 31 August 2017 at 6:42AM
    Options
    Today should be a nsd for me as it's our annual day we're treated by nanny. She pays for the boys new school shoes each year and their haircuts ready for going back to school. And treats us to some lunch from the bakery on the high street. I'm glad of this little tradition as school shoes cost a fortune but they always last all year so I appreciate the investment.

Other than that nothing else planned. The chickens have settled well into their new coop, I gave away 3 and kept 3 so it's much easier now.

I'm so eager for the children to get back to school and get back to our routines, I thrive on routines nowadays, I used to hate them but with having more children I realised everything falls apart wth preparation and a plan in place!

This is our routine for the morning:
    Everyone normally wakes around 6.30, although we have a 'get up' alarm for 7.15am, and we go straight down for breakfast together, whilst I empty the dishwasher and start making water bottles and lunch boxes.
    7.45am the 'get dressed' alarm goes off, so we go upstairs to get dressed and make beds and brush teeth
    Back downstairs to chill before school, then the 'shoe alarm' goes off at 8.15am which means everyone rushes to the shoe cupboard and grabs their shoes and coats and bags, and I start getting stuff in the car, and then the 'out the door' alarm goes off at 8.30am. Rota for car seating plan as otherwise there's always arguments. And off we go!
    The alarm clocks really help, I used them for a couple of years.
  • Angela84
    Options
    A good day today, school shoes and haircuts bought by nanny, lunch bought by me, annoying had to buy drinks which I loathe doing as I always try to take drinks with us everywhere. After that we visited the library so we're one step away from our free animal park tickets they're giving away this summer.

Now this evening I'm bored. All children in bed, I don't really watch tv and all I'm craving is to buy stuff online. There's nothing I need, I can just feel the urge to treat myself and get a littke excitement ordering something and knowing it's ok it's way to me. I'm not giving in though. Staying strong.
  • hannahroberts1985
    Options
    Try the comping forums or facebook "Latest deals and free stuff" it keeps you busy and you've the hope the postman will bring you something in the post. If your comping though make a new emails address x
    boys savings £

Family loan £7000/£5425
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You are doing so well and are so strong. I really admire how you are managing to entertain your children so cheaply. I shall follow your diary with great interest.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Angela84
    Options
    Thanks Hannah, I'll check out the comping forum now!

And hi hairy! Thanks. I've read up a lot about minimalism over the past 18 months and have come to the conclusion children are pretty easy to please for free, it's just how you excite them that makes them have fun.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback