Halifax Saver Prize Draw - anyone won yet?

Options

Comments

• ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    For all the doubters, me included, I got a recorded letter in the post today.

£100 claimed and on its way to the bank which will help the :beer: fund! :T
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • Ruthashton1
    Options
    I won £100 in the September 2018 draw. I had completely forgotten that I’d entered!
  • triplea35
    Options
    Seeing this thread resurrected prompted me to review our monies with Halifax.
    My wife and I have had the Rewards Current accounts running for many years though the benefits from these have reduced significantly in recent times.
    To be eligible for the Savers Prize draws, in 2014 deposited £5k each in variable Websavers. Must have been a reasonable interest rate at the time(with bonus?) but see it has now dropped to a lowly .2%. Looking at other Halifax savings accounts the best rate is .7% on a 2 year fixed term.

Considering we have just put funds in BLME for 18 months at 2.25% it does make me question if giving up around £155pa interest on our deposits is worth it for the draws?

Never won anything and difficult to confirm if we are registered for the draws - though I am sure I did at the time!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    triplea35 wrote: »
    To be eligible for the Savers Prize draws, in 2014 deposited £5k each in variable Websavers. Must have been a reasonable interest rate at the time(with bonus?) but see it has now dropped to a lowly .2%. Looking at other Halifax savings accounts the best rate is .7% on a 2 year fixed term.

Considering we have just put funds in BLME for 18 months at 2.25% it does make me question if giving up around £155pa interest on our deposits is worth it for the draws?

Never won anything and difficult to confirm if we are registered for the draws - though I am sure I did at the time!
    Seems a no-brainer to me - the chances of winning anything are so remote as to make negligible difference to the overall average return, so best evaluate your options based on interest rate alone, in which case Halifax's pathetic 0.7% is clearly some way off the pace.

If the prospect of a prize appeals, you could always hedge your bets by buying premium bonds instead, where you should earn about 1.2% or more with average luck, while potentially winning a decent prize, or you could just stick to fixed rate savers at guaranteed better rates of 2+%....
  • the_mandarin
    Options
    triplea35 wrote: »

You could just try to register again, and it will tell you that you are already registered if you are.
  • Ascotrobin
    Options
    Yes. Letter received this morning and claimed online.

As for NS & I, had premium bonds for over 56 years and never won a penny on them !
  • eskbanker
    Options
    Ascotrobin wrote: »
    Yes. Letter received this morning and claimed online.

As for NS & I, had premium bonds for over 56 years and never won a penny on them !
    Unlikely to be a like-for-like comparison in your case though - you must have at least £5K with Halifax to qualify for their prize draw but I'd be amazed if you had £5K in Premium Bonds without a prize in 56 years!
  • phys123
    Options
    Hi

My curiosity to find out how Halifax Bank processes it's monthly prize draw. Who processes this draw? Where that occurs? and why can't the customer see how it is happing? Because i and three of our family members have been registered with Halifax for more than three years and never won a single pound.

I went to a local branch of the Halifax and ask them the same questions. Staffs were completely unaware of the steps. In fact, they advised me to take money out, if I am not satisfied with the process. I visited another branch and received almost the same response. I asked them to provide any phone or email address to contact the relevant department.

I emailed to noreply@halifaxsaversprizedraw.co.uk and asked them the same question. I received a general email with general information about the monthly prize draw, but not discussed to my query.

To be honest, since I don't have much faith in this prize draw and decided soon we are going to withdraw our money out from Halifax account.

Should any of the reader has any information, please share on this forum.

Thanks

:eek:
  • eskbanker
    Options
    phys123 wrote: »
    i and three of our family members have been registered with Halifax for more than three years and never won a single pound.

[...]

To be honest, since I don't have much faith in this prize draw and decided soon we are going to withdraw our money out from Halifax account.
    I doubt they'll tell you any more about the draw than what's published on their website but if you had an expectation that four people should have won something over a three year period then this would suggest that you're in for further disappointment.

The combination of microscopic probabilities of draw prizes and dismal interest rates on most of their qualifying savings products means that you'd be likely to be far better putting your money somewhere else where it'll work harder for you....
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have 5 large in Halifax and won nothing, have over 25k in Premium Bonds and win pretty much every month.

May hook out the 5 and add it to the PB - anyone else won recently?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback