PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

Nsd today and, although yesterday I bought stuff, I'm not counting it (well, I'll cout £1.70). I bought sweets, crisps which I'm counting and pizzas for dinner. I'm not counting the pizzas, because we were going to McDonald's (which dd still had), but ds and oh had a counter pizza instead, so I'm calling that the entertainment/going out budget.

Need to go to the shop tomorrow for stuff for work, so hopefully won't get anything for me as I'm going straight back to work after. I'm going to fry off some mushrooms and onions, then have them on toast with some tinned tomato. Yum.

Realised when I got home that I hadn't had lunch... That's some chicken, spud and salad wasted...

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Menu plan out the window this week, now I'm just making it up. With Mr E not here, I've been slack about making a good vegetable-heavy dinner (easier to feed the girls pasta and then snack on my own in the evening), so tonight will be a roast veg tray bake, probably with bacon. Still on budget, though: I have 3 Saturday shops left to do with $570 left of $1100, and I still have two whole chickens, some chicken fillet, sausages and 4 portions of beef mince in the freezer.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • simplelivingcottage
    simplelivingcottage Posts: 40 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 July 2017 at 12:36PM
    Options
    Hello, am I OK to join this even though its half way through the month? I'm trying to get my spending down ASAP so I can get some savings and would like to have a go at this with menu planning.

I'm looking at a spend of £100 over the next two weeks, hopefully a lot less but I thought I would just knock £10 a week of our bill to start with
  • MissLemon
    MissLemon Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Budgetbabe wrote: »
    I have however been very much reminded this week of how much convenience 'costs' us.
    My order included packets of microwave rice. Which are obviously much more expensive than the sum of it's parts!!:eek:

Well done on budgeting while on a last minute holiday!

I never really liked cooking rice so just didn't eat it until I got a pressure cooker (instant pot). Now I can set it all up and have perfect rice ready to eat in around 12 minutes without having to watch the pot to make sure it doesn't burn :rotfl:

Worth looking into as you get the convenience at a fraction of the cost. It definitely pays for itself.
    Original MF Date January 2035. MF Date February 2022
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Skintmama, that is what I usually do with a green pepper to be honest. Chilli or curry as you don't notice the bitter taste as much.

Budgetbabe, MissLemon I have never been able to cook rice. I used to use the 'boat' party of my steamer to cook rice. When that finally broke down despite telling myself I'd get another steamer I haven't. I bought a rice cooker with a steamer tray. Would never be without it. I bought it really cheap (£12 or £13) and it still works perfectly a year later. You can generally get a basic rice cooker for less than £20.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Reading with interest :)
    I'm going to join in next month - this month sees me using up as much as possible from the cupboards and freezer so although I'm I'll join next month it will be a slightly more expensive one!
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £26 between tesco and home bargains, coffee chocolate and a couple of other bits.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My foolproof rice cooking involves a saucepan and the rice - no fancy gadgets. You put a quantity of rice in a large pan (e.g. a cup for 2-3) with one and a half times the amount of water and a pinch of salt. Bring it to the boil then turn the heat down and put the lid on to simmer for five minutes. then turn off the heat and leave the pan on the residual heat and do not remove the lid for 20 minutes. The rice absorbs the water and cooks in the steam. !5 minutes if you like it a tiny bit al-dente. Then take the lid off, fork it through and serve. Perfect separate grains of basmati rice.

Whether you wash it first or not is up to you. I do with cheap supermarket brands but never used to bother with posh brands like Tilda
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    There's been a bit too much cake and chocolate so far this month.... £6 tesco shop turned into £17 tesco shop, and fell into a cake shop as I walked past it!

£82.75/100 with over half the month to go!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Realised yesterday that I wouldn't get home from picking the kids up in time to do tray bake roast veg, so decided to be lazy and give them sausages and chips and baked beans. Pick them up from their Gran's house and they tell me they had sausages and chips and baked beans for lunch. Darn it.

Tuna pasta saved the day, but now I am so off track I haven't the faintest idea what we have in.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family