PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dispute with landlord over painted rooms

Options

Comments

• danm
    danm Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Talk to the LL/invite them over.

Explain the improvements you have made and gauge the reaction.

If it is negative, explain your next step without some reasonableness on their side will be to put the holes back in the wall.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    benjus wrote: »
    Have a look at this case study, which seems to be quite similar to your case: https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/resources/files/Adjudication%20Digest%20September%202012.pdf

(the landlord was awarded £100, but this was for a separate issue with the garden - they did not receive any money for redecorating)

The above case isn't similar because the lounge needed redecorated after a leak damaged the existing d!cor.

In the OP's case there was no damage to the d!cor, that meant it needed repainting - the reason for the decoration was that the OP didn't like the old dated d!cor.

If the landlord owns a number of properties, he probably agreed to it being painted Magnolia, as when he decided it needed repainted, this is the colour he chooses as its cheaper usually and easy to touch up as he won't need to buy new paint for touch ups.

However, you have painted it grey, so it will likely take 2 coats to get it Magnolia, but it would have taken 2 coats to get the old dark paint Magnolia also - so the landlord is no worse off.

He is only worse off by the number of years it would have taken him to repaint. (Even if you think the grey is preferable, the landlord may have liked the previous d!cor)
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    Options
    Tammykitty wrote: »
    The above case isn't similar because the lounge needed redecorated after a leak damaged the existing d!cor.

I disagree, it is similar, just not identical.

The reason for redecorating is not particularly relevant. The key paragraph is this one:
    The adjudicator agreed that the tenant had redecorated the lounge without permission. Ordinarily, this might entitle a landlord to claim for the reasonable cost of reinstatement. However the adjudicator did not consider an award to be justified in this case. Although the tenant did not have permission to redecorate, the evidence showed that the d!cor in the lounge was already in a very poor condition when the tenancy started. Even if the landlord did not approve of the colour chosen, it was difficult to accept that she had suffered a financial loss since she would have been obliged to redecorate in any case. No award was therefore made to the landlord.

I don't see why the same logic wouldn't apply in this case.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chili_pea wrote: »
    We glossed every single bit of the house and even paid professionals to repair the horrendously damaged wall that was wallpapered.
    We have 100% improved the maintenance of this house and you can clearly see that from the inventory pictures, I.e scratches, dents, holes, chips you name it this house needed it.

You could of course paint it magnolia and then add back all the scratches, dents, holes etc to bring it back to the same condition as it was at the start of the tenancy. However it's still best to get the LL to pop round and have a look at the improvements first.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • elonii
    elonii Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    That's really sad, I recently attended the checkout inspection at my letting house - the tenant had left bins overflowing, lots of discarded cardboard boxes outside in the garden, and the kitchen was a bit grubby. However, they'd also glossed a load of paintwork I thought I was going to have to re-do to a high standard, re-painted the lounge (magnolia), and had replaced every vertical blind in the house.

I told the agent to release the deposit, and got my rubber gloves on. I was definitely winning.

Hopefully you get a decent resolution, I can't understand that. Even if I wasn't 100% happy with colour of paint, if it was decent enough I'd get my 3 years out of it then re-do it.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    all personal choice - to me it looks bleak, grey and military - while magnolia looks warm and inviting

what would it cost you to repaint it vs cost of getting a decorator in?
    I too, find it rather cold and as it is a blue shade would not match all other carpet upholstery colours as magnolia would. This especially applies to carpets which are nearly all shades of beige and brown , nowadays (I've noticed as I'd like jade green which is hard to find).

Magnolia, after white is the cheapest colour to buy, so a quick spray over with 'cheapie shop' paint wouldn't cost a lot. (The landlady stated that the paint should be magnolia ;not that it had to be quality magnolia).
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    (The landlady stated that the paint should be magnolia ;not that it had to be quality magnolia).

If the landlady wants magnolia, she can have it painted in magnolia - at her own expense.

If the tenant had done nothing, the landlady would be receiving a property that badly needed redecorating. As it is, she is receiving a property that does not need redecorating but could of course be redecorated if she so chooses. She is not in a worse position as a result of the tenant's actions therefore should not be entitled to dictate terms or demand financial compensation.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just had tenants move out, the house was painted magnolia and in good condition. They decided to paint it white (they did ask and my reply was it should be in the condition it was when they moved in when they move out)

When I checked the house over it looked fantastic, way better white than magnolia and beautifully clean. It was not magnolia but there is no way I would ver request a deposit deduction I am grateful to have had such good tenants.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Good answer!

Looking at the time of your post, I guess maybe your electric went off and came on again at the same time as mine! I have a phone that 'helpfully' wakes me up whenever that happens, and round here it happens a lot!:rotfl:

I had put it down to the insomnia of house moving, but you might be right!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Also different brands of magnolia paint are different shades!

I cannot stand magnolia as its cold looking. I have Dulux's Natural Hessian on all of my walls, apart from the 2nd bedroom which has too much stuff in it to move out. Still in builders' magnolia.

My parents also got NH in two rooms. They have Almost Oyster, Mellow Mocha and Natural Calico to name the ones I remember.

In my lounge, the decor is browns and creams. Bedroom is pinks, reds and purples and yet the same Natural Hessian paint is used.

Your LL is a petty moron! Also some people don't like 100% magnolia. Using a different neutral colour adds warmth and may get the place rented out quicker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure