PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dispute with landlord over painted rooms

Options
Help!

Has anybody had any experience over a rented property and rooms they have painted a colour that wasn't agreed by the landlord?

We are leaving the property at the end of this month so have 4 weeks to resolve this before our deposit funds are disputed.

We moved into a house that had extremely poor up keep of walls and generally needed a fresh paint all over including glossing.

When we spoke ordinarily to the estate agents about decorating they said it wouldn't be a problem if it's neutral but at this time I had nothing in writing.
After we decorated I asked the estate agents if we could do some other things and thought I had better get something in writing re the decor.
Upon receipt of the emails from estate agents the landlady stated Magnolia was fine to be decorated throughout.

We did not paint it magnolia we actually painted it a very neutral and light stone colour.
We glossed every single bit of the house and even paid professionals to repair the horrendously damaged wall that was wallpapered.
We have 100% improved the maintenance of this house and you can clearly see that from the inventory pictures, I.e scratches, dents, holes, chips you name it this house needed it.
I even found on Google the original photos from when the house went up for sale and you can see the house has not been decorated for a long time.

With that in mind I feel we have actually improved the dirty brown painted, peeling off wallpapered living room and done the landlord a favour.

However they are still demanding we paint it all Magnolia, now where do I stand when it comes to my deposit?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can't help you with your problem.

Me and my ex moved into a maisonette. One of the bedrooms was sexy pink walls, lilac ceiling and baby blue skirting and doorframes. The letting agency and landlord gave us £60 to cover paint and brushes and told to paint everything in a neutral tone. The previous tenant moved out by just shoving the keys through the agency's letter box. The £60 was taken out from her deposit.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chili_pea wrote: »
    Upon receipt of the emails from estate agents the landlady stated Magnolia was fine to be decorated throughout.

We did not paint it magnolia we actually painted it a very neutral and light stone colour.

Isn't it just splitting hairs for the agents to say magnolia is fine but a light stone colour isn't?

Just how much difference is there between them?
  • chili_pea
    chili_pea Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah basically you summed it up in a nutshell, thanks.

Technically the colour we painted is Dulux "Goose Down" if you look at a painted wall on Google images it's not a dark or horrendous colour.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jesus how petty, I've just looked up the colour it's a nice neutral colour to me! Everyone has beige it's boring. If the property/walls were in fact improved, if I was your landlord I'd thank you and be on my merry way wishing you all the best!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'm afraid I would think that if it was stated you should paint it magnolia, then that is what you should have done and you would be liable for either painting it this colour or costs for the owner to have it done when you leave the property.

However, have you actually sent photos to the agent for the LL to review? Personally I rather like the colour you picked and will be adding it to the list to try when I come to redecorate my home office later in the year.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• chili_pea
    Options
    Many thanks, I understand what you're saying this is why I'm very concerned if I don't paint it Magnolia they will deduct what it costs to do this.
    Yes apparently they saw photos upon a 3 monthly inspection.

It is very frustrating seeing as a deposit scheme is there for any damage or mistreated properties but we have only improved and treated the house with upmost respect.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to leave the property in the same condition that it was in at the start of your tenancy. However, your landlord is not entitled to betterment i.e. he does not get new for old.

Read Deposits: payment, protection & return.
  • chili_pea
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    You need to leave the property in the same condition that it was in at the start of your tenancy. However, your landlord is not entitled to betterment i.e. he does not get new for old.

Read Deposits: payment, protection & return.

That is super helpful.

This part worries me "Consequently if the tenant makes changes eg re-decorating etc., it is advisable to get the LL's written permission, otherwise the LL could insist on returning the property to its original condition, at the tenant's expense."

BUT it would be impossible to return the house back to its original state with the damaged walls, however there is the brown and purple paint in the loft that was originally on the living room and hallway, so I might offer to paint it back to these colours at no extra cost to us!?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why bother repainting at all? The decoration was old when you moved in 7 years ago so what residual value do you think it has?
  • chili_pea
    Options
    We only moved in 6 months ago and asked straight away if it can be painted as the house was in such a mess.

Unfortunately we didn't expect to be leaving this soon but have no choice due to a break up :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure