PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dispute with landlord over painted rooms

Options

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    As has already been suggested, I would just claim that it is magnolia. It's not like magnolia is a standardised universal colour anyway is it?
    I !!!!ing hate magnolia, if I was a prospective tenant your colour would definitely appeal to me more. (Not that that's really relevant, I just get so sick of the idea that magnolia is a neutral colour. It's not, it's horrible!)
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    Given that you've already done the prep it should be quite easy to paint over with "magnolia" , it might not even need 2 coats if the colour is similar.
    I would do that, magnolia isn't expensive and the risk otherwise is that the landlord will deduct from the deposit and simply pocket it.
    It is petty, but quite clever really, because the property will be newly painted just in time for new tenants!
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    After one tenant decided to decorate one of our properties dark purple, we made it clear in subsequent contracts that if tenants wanted to decorate the walls, it must be with magnolia, and any woodwork white gloss or eggshell, and if they keep the receipts they will be reimbursed for paint and accessories.

If anyone did what the OP did, obviously we wouldn't object as it is quite close to magnolia.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • chili_pea
    chili_pea Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    I've just read this is my tenancy contract
    "Not to alter the colour or standard of decoration or
    change the property in any way without the written
    permission of the landlord."
    Even though we've drastically improved the property, we won't have a leg to stand on :(
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    chili_pea wrote: »
    I've just read this is my tenancy contract
    "Not to alter the colour or standard of decoration or
    change the property in any way without the written
    permission of the landlord."
    Even though we've drastically improved the property, we won't have a leg to stand on :(

True - legally.

But I'd follow the suggestion of seeing if you can contact the landlord directly and point out how the decor was and how it now is and see whether they will "bend the rules" because it's not right - but it is better than what was there.

It may be that its the letting agent being a jobsworth.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    chili_pea wrote: »
    :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look at this case study, which seems to be quite similar to your case: https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/resources/files/Adjudication%20Digest%20September%202012.pdf

(the landlord was awarded £100, but this was for a separate issue with the garden - they did not receive any money for redecorating)
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I'd just get it repainted. Get the cheapest magnolia you can find and whizz through with one coat. I wouldn't care about doing a very good job of it
  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another vote for contacting the landlord directly, perhaps even invite them round (do a G_M and offer cake!) so they can see for themselves what an improvement it is. That way you'll find out if they've any problem with it before you move out. Even better if you've got leftover paint to leave for the landlord.

As some others have said, don't waste time & money painting it magnolia (urgh) when clearly your actions have bettered the property immensely.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lush walrus, this is not a landlady who wants to keep the flats easy to clean and turn around. This is a petty !!!! hole who couldn't care less if her tenants live with dreadful tatty old brown wall paper and a hole in the wall, and is out to make a fast few quid for nothing.
    You have no idea whatsoever whether this is the case. Many rented houses are on need of decoration but the rent reflects this. It often benefits the tenants because they get the space or area they wish but at a rent they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

Many redecorated homes go for much higher rent afterwards. Tenants can't have it both ways.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure