First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been thinking of you lately and hoping you're doing OK. Xxxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,595 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I hope life is not still stressful for you and hopefully the reason for you not posting is because your debt is now gone. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hello,

Long time no write. Life got really busy and finding the time to come in here was a struggle.

I'd like to say we;re debt free but alas we are not. Our car packed up in November last year and I couldn't bare to keep paying hundreds each year to fix the new issue. So, we got a loan to get a nearly new (2 year old) car, I've never had a car so new. The loan we got paid off the last bit of the tesco loan also.

This meant a loan of *gulp* £18504

DH has decided to let his loan run it's course and there is about 3 months payment left on it. 

In other news

We still havent moved  :( we really want to get this done in the next 12 months. As usual it's finding time to sort the cosmetics. I mean all the painting from last year needs redoing due to little creatures sticky fingers! 
    We had most of our windows replaced - just the glass - as they had clearly been compromised and were steaming up between the double glazing - a reasonable £300. We've replaced the kitchen taps, replaced plug sockets to include usb charging ports and sorted the hallway out for tidier shoe storage (thanks kallax).

The twins are now 3 and due to start pre school in September  :o they need it. They just so much hard stress inducing work.

We've had success with a veggie patch this year. We have an abundance of courgette's. We're going to have plenty of pumpkins too. Got tomatoes on the go along with runner beans and we've tried sweetcorn but I think we'll have little success with them.

Current debt figures

Tesco Loan £15978.77
    M&S Loan £464.88

Current saving figures

Emergency fund (house move fund): £6125
    Holiday savings £900
    Car Fund ( to cover all car expenses) £1010
    House improvement fund: £639

I have other saving pots that I won't add - school related savings and xmas savings

Look forward to catching up on everyone's diary's

MB
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • Mummy_bear
    Options
    So.....

It's been another huge gap in updates, but there is good reason.

6 days after my last update DH was involved in a serious car crash and broke his back. He was 4 hours away. He had one lucky escape. No other cars involved. There was an ambulance already next to him and a firebrigade passing by. It also meant that as the ambulance had on board cameras they could show that he wasn't speeding. He has no idea what happened.

He was given 2 weeks compassionate leave from work and had to use the rest of his annual leave to take him to the end of August. He felt pressured to return to work but was able to work from home for a few weeks before going back out on the road. 1 week after being on the road the DVLA revoked his license on medical grounds in October. It was for a period of 6 months from the accident. 

At this point his work decided he could no longer work from home and needed further training to do it effectively. They refused remote training and said that it ws feasible for him to travel and stay over somewhere. He was put on stat sick pay.

This resulted in the big job hunt. Towards the end of November he was offered another job on a work from home basis. He started at the beginning of December. He went away for a week for training, they admitted he would normally require 2 weeks training. He lost his job day 4 of week 2 following unrealistic expectations of him. They were quite ruthless to be honest. They said he needed another weeks training but he would have to fund the hotel stay etc...the week before Christmas, last day being Christmas eve. He quickly realised they were not a good company to work for and when he said he couldn't do that they let him go.

So he was jobless over Christmas. He managed to get another interview between Christmas and New year and a few follow up interviews and was offered a job for a large company. He started 3 weeks into the new year. He's on 5k more than the last 2 places. He's been doing very well. He's received so much praise so far he's confused by it. The last 2 places he has worked have been so negative with him that he keeps thinking there is something wrong with him. His new place have regular performance reviews and the possibility of bonus every April. He is very positive about it and has a feeling he'll stay for some time.

All this has meant that there has been no house move :(

Our savings have also been used to cover when DH was on stat sick and no pay. 6 years ago I never had any emergency savings. Coming to this forum and starting this blog prompted me to put money away...and my God has it been an amaing decision. During these tough months we have not took out any credit - no cards, loans or over draft  o:) 
    Yes we've had a stressful time of it but it wasn't added to with finances.

Current debt figures

Tesco Loan £13526.52
     That's a reduction of £2917.13 since July. 

Current saving figures

Emergency fund (house move fund): £4495
    Holiday savings £900
    Car Fund ( to cover all car expenses) £1010 - same figure as last July. But in that time I've paid off car insurance, MOT, car tax and service off in full.
    House improvement fund: £282.69

Til next time... and hopefully less eventful!

MB

My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
  • DancingInTheRain
    Options
    Hi good to see you posting again and I'm so sorry to hear what a tough time you and DH have been through 💞

A massive well done to you for staying on track despite all the obstacles you've faced. Here's hoping 2022 is much kinder to you x
  • Mummy_bear
    Options
    Thanks Dancing, it's often not until it's written down that you appreciate what you've overcome. 

I'm just catching up in your diary and I'm up to August last year.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure