Buy ethereum uk

Options

Comments

• Trickzyy
    Trickzyy Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 25 July 2017 at 2:37PM
    Options
    I am 100% convinced that Blockchain technology is the future and now is the best time to get involved as this market is very much still in its infancy.

This is my current method for purchasing BTC and buying altcoins:

1) purchase BTC using fiat currency on https://www.blockchain.com - an online wallet
    2) transfer those BTC to an exchange such as Bittrex
    3) purchase your chosen altcoin
    4) withdraw that altcoin to its native wallet

Selling altcoins:

1) reverse the entire process above

My advice would be to never keep coins on the exchange as this is technically just an IOU - the same as a bank, keep them in local wallets on your desktop, or better yet, a hardware wallet such as the Ledger Nano S.

I have searched high and low for investment opportunities which offer 1000x returns and IMO, cryptocurrencies offer this potential, but only if you can stomach the volatility and the reality of losing your entire investment.

The process to purchase altcoins currently is very convoluted, and this puts many people off, but as this industry develops, the process will no doubt become more streamlined.

Sign up to Reddit and join all the relevant subreddits for daily news and insights on your chosen investments.

Beware of all the 'scam coins' and research heavily before you invest.

Good luck!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    What it offers currently is integrity, equity and unfettered access, what you're buying into is that in future that will continue to evolve, gain traction and compete with the traditional money printing fraud, currently living on borrowed time.

But surely 'unfettered access' is only so if the internet can be accessed without interference?
  • asc1991
    asc1991 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My tips for a UK buyer.

Buy on bittylicious - the site sounds silly, but it's simple and it works well. It takes a little while for them to let you buy larger amounts.

You do not want an online wallet. Go for one on your PC. Exodus is really good and simple and gives you a 'paper wallet' key. Their transaction fees are a tiny bit higher than others when you're sending funds. But if you're in it for investment - don't worry about that.
  • savenator
    savenator Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this tip. I find Kraken's fees extortionate. I've googled Bittylicious, and they've called out Santander for anticompetitive behaviour. Plus their fees are low.

Any other sites for buying Ether?
  • Peacheyd
    Options
    A large part of crypto use which also may impact its value , is its use on the black market . Now that it's a widely used and accepted means to pay for prohibited goods and services with considerably less risk than other hard currencies , there will most probably always be SOME value to it.
  • Hi,
    Can anyone please explain the difference between FIAT money (unlimited ceiling) and bitcoin being limited to 21 million but being infinitely divisible?
    Thanks
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If I am a government which prints its own currency and also borrows money in that currency, then at any time I can say I'm going to print another billion pounds worth of fiat money and then hand it to my creditors. (We will ignore for the moment the question of why I would want to.)

If I am a government which has borrowed money in Bitcoins, I can't say "we're going to double the amount of Bitcoins so that all my debts will cost half as much to repay". Firstly they don't have that power over Bitcoin. Secondly, what infinite divisibility means is that the network can decide to add some more decimal places to Bitcoins, should it turn out that the smallest possible unit (currently 0.00000001 BTC or one satoshi) is becoming unwieldy. (Google 'Triganic Pu'.)

But if you owe someone 100 Bitcoin that just means that instead of having to repay 100.00000000 Bitcoin you now have to repay 100.0000000000 Bitcoin, i.e. nothing has changed.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    Can anyone please explain the difference between FIAT money (unlimited ceiling) and bitcoin being limited to 21 million but being infinitely divisible?
    Thanks

The effect of the difference you describe is that you'll need more fiat to buy less bitcoin, over time, as demand for and use of bitcoin continues to increase.

Fiat trends towards a value of zero as more and more tickets are plucked from thin air and poured, by the trillion, into the financial system, assets then trend towards a value of.. a very large number, since their 'worth' is described and measured by the former.

Whether demand for bitcoin continues to increase is a huge unknown though, all sorts of things could stop it's progress and/or adoption even while the technology itself remains infallible so it's far from a winning proposition long term.

It's quite likely the fiat fraudsters will have to make some attempt to stamp it out at some point if it's adoption continues to gain traction.

Beyond blacklisting and punishment it looks more likely an attempt to suffocate adoption of democratically distributed crypto ledgers will be undertaken by [STRIKE]stealing[/STRIKE] adopting the technology themselves and corrupting it to retain existing privileged access, production and gate keeper controls in the guise of an official crypto backed by the same threats of government violence that fiat enjoys.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Fiat money is ultimately backed by the economy of a country or bloc of countries which uses that currency, and will be controlled to at least some extent by the Central banks of those countries. It is therefore price controlled by those countries to at least some extent, so if the country is rationally run and a decent economic player, the currency should maintain purchasing power, subject to a target level of inflation.

Bitcoin is a bit of code that people have ascribed a seemingly random value to, which is not price controlled or backed by any economy and could be replaced by another bit of code if the current fad passes and replaces it with something else.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Private banks control fiat, via a central banking network. Countries in the context you're describing them are an abstract. Governments borrow money from banks at everyone else's expense, they authorize the fiat fraud operated by banks for a share of the spoils.

Fiat doesn't maintain it's purchasing power, it cannot maintain it's purchasing power, suggesting otherwise is silly. Wealthy people hold assets.

Inflation targets relate to prices of goods and services in the economy not the currency and are affected by pressures from a great many things, only one of which is ongoing, ceaseless currency devaluation.

Ultimately fiat is backed by nothing but the threat of government violence. Manufactured consent if you prefer. The established means of exchange in the economy is simply a result of those forced to use it, using it. Render unto Caesar etc.

The conflict arises when people start using something else outside government control.

It's strange how a 'fad' for 'bits of code' has governments that haven't already declared it private money still debating and deciding how to deal with the growing threat to their cosy relationships, with fiat fraudsters desperately scrambling to catch up and somehow pull the rug/plug.

When you have the likes of Jamie Dimon calling bitcoin a fraud, aside from the utter hypocrisy, it's a sure sign it's on the right path even if it is eventually prevented from getting there.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure