Comments

• fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Try coinbase
  • cheap_skate
    Options
    Like I said I know it seems too good but check it out for your self, they make money on the spread, by using their software to trade automatically and by using their new mining rigs which they have just invested 70 million into and this is without the income from their new coin. They've been trading normal currency for the last 8 years and crypto for over a year now. It's early days!!
  • jdewolf7
    Options
    Hi all,

As a MSE user for many years whose never posted thought I'd share my experience of Bitcoin from the last few months as its been more profitable than my money saving attempts and matched betting combined.

I initially bought some Bitcoin on coinbase and it has now more than doubled in value. I then tried a few investments with the profit as there are many out there that claim to make massive returns. I have now found one that I trust as I have used it for over a month and made 15% and have had no withdrawals issues, other than fees.

I am happy to be messaged if people have any questions about crytocurrencies either how to buy or how to invest and help guide them. Please note I am only using matched betting profits in the cryptocurrencies market due to the massive volatility and potential risk.
  • elephantrosie
    Options
    what is the difference between bitcoin and bitcoin cash?
    Another night of thankfulness.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 29 December 2017 at 12:57PM
    Options
    what is the difference between bitcoin and bitcoin cash?

Earlier this year the blockchain which allows bitcoin to exist, was permanently forked into two separate strands. 'Bitcoin' continued along one of the paths and the coins created along the new path were known as ' Bitcoin Cash', a new alternative currency.

Bitcoin cash has technical differences (increased block size) which were intended to make it more scalable/practical than the original bitcoin before the code fork. But when you trace the transactions back, a piece of bitcoin cash still came from the original bitcoin ledger. What happened was, there was a fork in the road and if you owned one bitcoin in July (or five coins or a hundred coins or 0.12345 of a coin), in August you would own one bitcoin (BTC) and one bitcoin cash (BTH). Or 5 of each or 100 of each or 0.12345, depending how many you had at the time of the fork.

Owners of BTH and BTC generally decided which one of the two products they wanted to keep and sold the other, or in some cases kept both to wait and see. BTC had greater recognition and a significantly higher value than BTH at the time of the fork, and that has continued to be the case, so far.

But basically the two types of coins have different properties and different values. The newer one is traded on fewer exchanges - some exchanges did not want to make a market in it because it was new and unknown and the were a number of scams as people worked out what to do with their new 'free money'. It is more accepted now, as everyone who had bitcoin this summer all got some, so it's not a completely random new product like some ICOs.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Reading everyones views on cryptocurrency has been interesting for me as I am completely new to this. I am however still apprehensive about purchasing any digital currency, mainly on the fact of how safe my investment would be in the event of say an EMP blast (if you believe the news theats of ww3). Does anyone know if an electronic device would be completely useless if this occured, or is this just a hollywood fantasy?
    Regards

If EMP blasts are taking out electronics equipment (which they will do) then the safety of your crypto currency is the least of your worries.
  • dividendhero
    Options
    Reading everyones views on cryptocurrency has been interesting for me as I am completely new to this. I am however still apprehensive about purchasing any digital currency, mainly on the fact of how safe my investment would be in the event of say an EMP blast (if you believe the news theats of ww3). Does anyone know if an electronic device would be completely useless if this occured, or is this just a hollywood fantasy?
    Regards

An EMP blast would be localised, but the localised area could be quite large!

The internet would be affected, the servers etc which are on the end of power cables could be trashed but the transmission is mostly over fibre which is immune to EMP.

As for bitcoin - it is certainly dependant on the internet being up. In a "Mad Max" type scenario it'd be worthless - gold and stuff like fresh water would become precious though
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    Options
    It would nice to think it would be a single strike but I doubt it.

Fibre may be immune to EMP but it's not immune to 100 kiloton blasts and the ensuing physical damage. You don't need to hit data centres etc, It's the connectivity that will be compromised even in a limited strike scenario
  • jamiesanders
    Options
    Hi all, has anyone had issues with Bitstamp verification? I've been waiting for almost a month now and I'm unable to buy anything, meanwhile the Ethereum price is going up and up.

I've read this Ethereum buying guide and I'm willing to try the other exchanges they list, but Coinbase refused my deposit from Nationwide. Any other recommendations? Anyone tried Local Ethereum?
  • mdori003
    mdori003 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    I think most investments would go down in the event of WWII, probably not the best criteria for a porfolio. Unless you are a swiss arms dealer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure