Will I get charged for having my meter changed?

techno79techno79 Forumite
354 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
I've just moved into a new property which has a single rate electricity meter but I want to be on economy 7. I also want to change to a different supplier than the one the previous tenants were using.

The energy supplier I want to go with said they will have to charge me £80 to change the meter to an E7 one. So I thought, what if I get the existing energy supplier to change it to E7 just before I leave. I rang them up and created an account in my name. I've gone onto their standard variable rate tariff (so no exit fee or tie in period). I was told I can then request (with fee) a E7 meter which would then allow me to go on their normal E7 variable rate tariff (also without exit fee and no tie in).

I thought that once I had done that, there was nothing to stop me from leaving them and going with the energy supplier I wanted to go with.

Is there any issue with this? Is there some implicit tie in period due to a meter change? I did ask them and they didn't say there was but I've been in situations before where things were missold.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals