We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PinknSparkly's Mortgage Wannabe savings dairy

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck with the gardening plans. It'll be worth it and it is good to invest in your house it will be rewarded in the happiness that it brings. Fab. Everyone is thinking of gardening in this thread I blame Tori!!! lol.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Lol, there definitely wasn't nearly as much gardening discussion before Tori arrived, but I love it :) We've got the quote back - £6000 for everything except the skip which we need to arrange as it'll have to organised through the council because it needs to be put on the road. We need to sit down and think about it together as I suspect we'll want to tweak the plans a bit but haven't had a chance to yet!

I've just done my payday shuffle..... £1300 into my LISA (£1300 each pay day until next tax year to ensure I use the full £4000 limit by then), £100 put back into my husband's Tesco current account (used as a 3% savings account) that we emptied to buy the house and the rest is earmarked for regular savers that I can't contribute to until 1st Feb. We try to live entirely on my husband's salary (as he is the lower earner by about £100 a month). He gets paid on the last working day of the month, so I leave shuffling the leftovers in the joint account to savings until his money hits the account.

This is the first month we've been using a 0% credit card for ALL spending (where possible) and I'm very pleased to report that the total amount owed on the credit card is a little over £500. I have all the best intentions to budget, but have never managed to get my husband on board so I'm hoping that after a few months of using the credit card (i.e. no expenses paid on his debit card that I can't see the statement for) I'll be able to actually work out how much we're spending on each category. Since we're wanting to try for a baby in the near future, I want to get a decent idea as to what we're ACTUALLY spending so I can work with real numbers rather than estimated ones. (Plus, it's a Tesco CC and we've already accrued about 500 clubcard points using the card, which is £15 worth of vouchers for a date night meal!)
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Ouch its a reasonable quote but it always smarts to hear those kinda number going out not in.
    If it makes you feel better our bill with mates rates and doing the majority of it ourselves will be around 15k with probably that again to sort the conservatory so I share you pain :)
    Smart move with recording the year. we did the same, makes a for quite an eye opener but then the magic happens when the SOA finally matches and whats on paper equals to whats in purse then it just runs itself.
    They say new home new baby :D the fun is in the trying ;)
  • pinknsparkly
    pinknsparkly Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 January 2019 at 7:34PM
    Options
    Thanks Tori.K, you're right about any quotes like that - they're always going to sting! But we intend to stay put for quite a while so it'll be nice to enjoy the garden rather than ignoring it which is what we're currently doing :rotfl: We also deliberately bought significantly less "house" than the bank would have lent us money for as I wanted to make sure we could survive most substantial changes in finances that may happen (babies, losing a job etc) so I feel more justified in spending money to increase our enjoyment of this house!

And update on the anniversary will-he-won't-he ponderings..... My husband did indeed completely forget about today being our 2 year married / 10 years together anniversary despite being reminded numerous times. He's ordering us apology Domino's pizza home delivery :j

My parents sent us £50 for our anniversary, but since there's enough money in our account to pay for the Domino's in the current account (and it's payday on Friday) I've sent that straight to the mortgage as an OP, plus £175 from my sister for tickets to see Pink in concert this summer. I'd paid for the tickets months ago and said she could repay me when she had the money. It's funny, that despite not making any "deliberate" mortgage OPs (I'll be putting £500 a month into a S&S ISA from April as our mortgage OPs in the hope of making more on the stock market in the next 35 years than we'll save in interest), and only OPing money that I get unexpectedly I've still managed to OP over £400 this month :eek: I certainly don't expect every month to be like this but it's been a very nice start!!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Hi all,

Hope you've all stayed safe and warm in this snow. My car was in the garage for the annual service and MOT (which came to £525 as it needed the brakes sorting out too :eek:) on Friday, so I iceskated my way very inelegantly into work :rotfl:

I've seen a few people on the MFW board posting about the daily interest on their mortgage and being a closet numbers nerd decided I needed to work ours out! Ours has reduced to £12.50/day, from £12.60/day on the original balance in December. I'm not sure the extra £3/month is going to change my life but it's another number to keep in mind when I feel the end point is a million miles away, and it'll be interesting to compare that to the % increase (or decrease) in the value of our S&S ISAs which is where I'll be saving our mortgage "OPs".
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    I hope the snow is gone. Well done on overpaying. :beer:
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Thanks SW!

I popped into town on my way home yesterday to pay in £50 for a mortgage OP (my husband and I donate blood, a few tubes at a time, to a local research company who pay £20 each time) and have made some other small OPs over the past couple of weeks: topcashback payout, interest from our Tesco current account savings and payouts from a walking challenge I registered for. I've also signed up for a clinical trial looking at skin bacteria that will run over a couple of weeks. I'll have my first appointment two weeks today (all visits apart from one are over weekends so easy for me to get to) and if I complete it they'll pay out £700-£850!). It's three visits, two of a couple of hours each and the final one is either 8 or 24 hours (i.e. all day or overnight)

PhD corrections are coming along slowly but getting there. It's due in just over a month and I'll be sleeping for a month once it's completed! Anyone who thinks you can do a PhD, work full time and have any chance whatsoever of living a normal life alongside that are completely deluded!
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    So I *know* that investing in stocks and shares is supposed to be for the long term, but I've been finding it fascinating checking my LISA every couple of days. The value has been below what I've contributed a times, and currently is 4.6% more than the total amount I've contributed myself and the HMRC bonus has yet to be paid (that gets paid between 4 and 9 weeks after the first payment, which I made on 14th January so I need to be a little more patient!).

I keep flipping and flopping as to what to do in terms of reporting how much I've saved for the save £12k in 2019 challenge, but think I'm going to report only the amount I actually put into the account, and not include the 25% bonus paid by HMRC or the (hopeful!) growth in the fund. That way, if I do get nervy about it dropping a bit then I've got the comfort blanket of the 25% bonus before I feel like it's "my" money that's being lost! That said, so far I've not been nervy about it at all, just interested. I suspect that may change as the balance grows and a 10/20/40% decrease is worth a considerable sum of money!!
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Eeeeep eeeeep! So, not that I've been logging into it on a daily basis or anything :rotfl: but my first government bonus has been paid into my stocks and shares Lifetime ISA and I've sent it straight back to the administration team to buy more stocks and shares (I'm currently putting it all into the Blackrock Consensus 100 fund). Payday (for me) is tomorrow so I'll send over another £1300 and then the last lot at the end of March to hit the £4000 annual limit. Our savings have been reduced somewhat this month due to a £525 car service/MOT bill :eek: But I'd rather fork out for the shiny new brakes than risk them failing on me hundreds of miles from home!! Almost all our expenses have been paid on credit card this month (with a couple of cash withdrawals) and it's been so easy to copy, paste and categorise the transactions in my lovely new spreadsheet. Though some of the costs, such as the £525 car bill, do extrapolate up to some eye-watering anticipated annual costs :rotfl:
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Well done on Bonus on ISA, extra money being sent over and payday. Well done in investing in your car.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure