IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Preparing defence for County Court

Options
123457»

Comments

• safarmuk
    safarmuk Posts: 648 Forumite
    Options
    MA61's court write up and other thoughts are on this thread for future reference of other users of this site:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5657908
  • RedFive
    Options
    HI,

Following what I consider a very minor infringement of 28mins parked on a CE car park I have largely (and most likely incorrectly) ignored the letters until it has got to the stage where we meet in court.

Court Date 10am 22nd October

Infringement details

Parked: Ibis Hotel, Bath road, Heathrow UN3 5AL
    Time: 28mins
    Date: xx/xx/2017
    Reason: I was finishing off a conversation with a supplier and dropped him at the hotel. Made my way out of the car park and thought nothing of it.

Background: signage is pretty good at the car park, I have to say I did see it and thought that I would get 30mins at least as a grace before having to pay. Signage has been heavily updated since the event although I cannot prove when this was. I didn’t park in a parking bay or leave my car. The colleague I was dropping off has since moved on from the company I was dealing with at the time and despite efforts to find him through Linkedin I haven’t. ( he is a swiss national and lives in Switzerland)

Northampton County Court letters received/processed with the above statement as my comments. Asked for a transfer to my local court, which has been granted.

What are the next steps?

Do I have a leg to stand on?
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Your next steps are to read the NEWBIE thread third post down on the front page of the parking forum and, if that doesn't give your the answers you want, start your own thread rather than hi-jacking one from 2017.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 October 2018 at 12:02PM
    Options
    Possibly, but few toes left after blowing most of them off with what you've written. Did you write that in the Defence box of your Acknowledgment of Service?

The NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2 tells you how to handle court cases, a lot of it written by regular posters with legal qualifications.

You might need major help (a miracle!) with this, so please start a new thread of your own.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2018 at 2:03AM
    Options
    RedFive wrote: »
    HI,

Following what I consider a very minor infringement of 28mins parked on a CE car park I have largely (and most likely incorrectly) ignored the letters until it has got to the stage where we meet in court.

Court Date 10am 22nd October

Infringement details

Parked: Ibis Hotel, Bath road, Heathrow UN3 5AL
    Time: 28mins
    Date: xx/xx/2017
    Reason: I was finishing off a conversation with a supplier and dropped him at the hotel. Made my way out of the car park and thought nothing of it.

Background: signage is pretty good at the car park, I have to say I did see it and thought that I would get 30mins at least as a grace before having to pay. Signage has been heavily updated since the event although I cannot prove when this was. I didn’t park in a parking bay or leave my car. The colleague I was dropping off has since moved on from the company I was dealing with at the time and despite efforts to find him through Linkedin I haven’t. ( he is a swiss national and lives in Switzerland)

Northampton County Court letters received/processed with the above statement as my comments. Asked for a transfer to my local court, which has been granted.

What are the next steps?

No chance IMHO, unless the Judge is fed up with PPCs.

You have grabbed defeat out of the Jaws of victory. Very sad, very winnable before you wrote what appears to be the worst defence I've ever seen for a CEL case (sorry).

Have a look at example defences in the NEWBIES thread for what you should have said. Maybe you can shoe-horn something decent into your next stage submissions, due this week I bet. Have a look at the examples of Witness Statements (yes, your WS) and evidence - the next step that you are almost overdue to file & serve, as per the info in your local court's letter that set the court date.

Hope I am wrong and you get that miracle, but you came here far too late.

At least you can argue against the added costs...to try to peg it to £100 plus court fee if you lose.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How did this one turn out?
  • Thutmose
    Options
    I have received a claim from Civil Enforcement Limited and their PoC is;

Claim for monies relating to a Parking charge for parking in a private car park managed by the claimant in breach of the terms + conditions ( T+Cs ). Drivers are allowed to park in accordance with T+Sc of use. ANPR cameras and/or manual patrols are used to monitor vehicles entering + existing the site. Debt + damages claimed the sum of 182.00
    Violation date : 15/06/2018
    Time
    PCN
    Car Reg
    X Rd
    Total due-£182.00

The Claimant claims the sum of 196.76 for monies relating to a parking charge per above including 14.76 interest pursuant to S.69 of the Country Court Act 1984 Rate 8.00% pa from dates above to 20-06-2019 Same rate to Judgement or (sooner) payment Daily rate to Judgement-0.04
    Total debt and interest due 196.76
    Court Fee: 25.00
    Legal representative's costs : 50.00
    Total amount: 271.76

They hired two debt collection agencies and I disputed the debt. I sent them a cheque for 25.00 based on my local council parking charges but they refused and returned my cheque. I requested strict proof for the land ownership and the proof of loss for the business they lost during 27 minutes but they ignored my request.

Q1. Can you use the defense which was shared here for my case?
    Q2. Is the PoC clear and concise as is required by CPR 16.4 1(a) and CPR 1.4?
    Q3. Does the PoC meet the requirements of Practice Direction 16 7.5?

Any advice is appreciated in advance.

Thank you
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please start your own New thread using the red New thread button top left of this forum and copy and paste your query into it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure