IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Preparing defence for County Court

Options

Comments

• Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Op - I've replied to the comment you made on the RoA thread earlier
  • MA61
    MA61 Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Got the witness statement, finally, and no mention of anyone but the claimant attending, so that will be my first line of defence
  • MA61
    Options
    safarmuk wrote: »
    For not try not to get hung up on RoA ... when you get home let us know what is in the post. People are on here late at night who can help you so when you get home get on here and post and bump your thread up to the top asking the pertinent questions you need answered.

When is your court date?

Thanks. Court is in the morning.

Enclosed in the papers I have been sent:
    • Witness Statement
    • Agreement authorising Company to manage parking on relevant land
    • The sign
    • Noties
    • Photographs of incident
    And copies of previous correspondence.

Witness statement relies on ParkingEye vs Beavis.

It contends that
    1) the PoC contained sufficient information for Defendant to be aware of what claim relates to:
    • Date of Charge
    • Vehicle Reg
    • PCN number
    • Amount outstanding
    • That it relates to parking charges
    • That it is debt
    2) that a LBC was sent which contains:
    • Date of Charge
    • PCN number
    • Location of charge
    • Amount outstanding
    • The claimant
    • That the balance relates to unpaid parking charges
  • MA61
    Options
    Lamilad wrote: »
    Op - I've replied to the comment you made on the RoA thread earlier

Thank you! That's really helpful.

One question - should I be presenting these points orally or is it worth submitting these arguments on paper on the day? Forgive my ignorance but I am unaware of the protocol here.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 31 May 2017 at 6:09PM
    Options
    As well as you, Jinxycat and stephthechosenone and Jack Basta, are all in small claims court tomorrow too.

Did you see that the BMPA offer a ''check the rep'' immediate text service to help you check before the hearing, if the rep who signs in has RoA (ask his/her name, make yourself known and talk about his Rights of Audience/your preliminary matters):

http://www.bmpa.eu/court.html

''As a trial, we are offering a "Check the Rep" Text Service. Text your case number, the claimant and the name of the Claimant's representative to 07481 344930 and we'll check the online databases. We offer no guarantees though but you should raise the issue with the judge at the start.''

You would need the Law Gazette and the case law printed out, and (ideally) a preliminary matters document to help you with that. You give one copy of the preliminary matters document to the Court Usher when you sign in, and aim to be half an hour early to suss out who the rep is...and to save any stress of running late/getting through court security/a queue.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • MA61
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    As well as you, Jinxycat and stephthechosenone are both in small claims court tomorrow too.

Did you see that the BMPA offer a ''check the rep'' immediate text service to help you check before the hearing, if the rep who signs in has RoA (ask his/her name, make yourself known and talk about his Rights of Audience/your preliminary matters):

http://www.bmpa.eu/court.html

''As a trial, we are offering a "Check the Rep" Text Service. Text your case number, the claimant and the name of the Claimant's representative to 07481 344930 and we'll check the online databases. We offer no guarantees though but you should raise the issue with the judge at the start.''

You would need the Law Gazette and the case law printed out, and (ideally) a preliminary matters document to help you with that. You give one copy of the preliminary matters document to the Court Usher when you sign in, and aim to be half an hour early to suss out who the rep is...and to save any stress of running late/getting through court security/a queue.

Wow, that's really helpful! Is it this I need to print out, as this is the article I have been reading:

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/law/right-of-audience/57199.article
    The case law referred to in that article is D vs S (Rights of Audience) [1997] 1FLR 724 - is that what you mean?

Presumably I give the copy of the preliminary matters to the usher but keep the hard copies of the above docs to refer to during the hearing?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The case law is McShane v Lincoln, mentioned here in a tale what NOT to do:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/parkingeye-win-and-are-awarded.html

McShane v Lincoln, print it out - and get some sleep (who am I to talk?!):

http://www.civillitigationbrief.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/click-here-to-see-case.pdf
    Presumably I give the copy of the preliminary matters to the usher but keep the hard copies of the above docs to refer to during the hearing?
    Yes and raise it first, and only give up if the Judge really starts looking daggers at you, not if he/she seems disinterested and knows the rep. You can still win on RoA, if it's a hired gun rep.

PublicanPaul won his case this month, despite the Judge mithering that 'the rep is OK' at first, then PublicanPaul pushed the point:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=113246
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • MA61
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    The case law is McShane v Lincoln, mentioned here in a tale what NOT to do:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/parkingeye-win-and-are-awarded.html

McShane v Lincoln, print it out - and get some sleep (who am I to talk?!):

http://www.civillitigationbrief.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/click-here-to-see-case.pdf

Yes and raise it first, and only give up if the Judge really starts looking daggers at you, not if he/she seems disinterested and knows the rep. You can still win on RoA, if it's a hired gun rep.

PublicanPaul won his case this month, despite the Judge mithering that 'the rep is OK' at first, then PublicanPaul pushed the point:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=113246

Thanks for this, yes am crashing out now. One last thing please (sorry, to be Columbo) - is it worth including in preliminary matters that there is no mention in the witness statement that the claimant will not attend? I need to reference relevant legislation but too tired - its one of the PDs I think will look up in morning. Also, it was sent on 23 May (and is dated as such), which means that some Act (which I will reference when i am more awake) means it's considered as being received on 25th, only 6 days before hearing
  • MA61
    Options
    Sadly due to my own lack of preparedness / time, I have been unable to research a defence to the substantive claim, however after non-appearance of claimant and RoA, my next line of defence is that due to the claimant's non-compliance at various stages I have been denied a fair right to defend the claim. Fingers crossed...
  • MA61
    Options
    Hi all, the short version is - the claim was dismissed and I was awarded £95 costs. Just enjoying a Spoons breakfast and a pint of ale. Its 5 o'clock somewhere, right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure