Options
1235»

Comments

• Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alexd52 wrote: »
    We have just had a DEKTON work top installed. This is from natural materials and is supposed to be totally heat and scratch resistant and also does not stain.

The Dekton I saw is only 20 mm and I need 30 mm for hob.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    bethl79 wrote: »
    We have silestone, it was installed in October and still looks great, no stains or anything though we are quite careful to wipe things off quickly just in case. We got our kitchen from diy kitchens, but it was actually cheaper by about £500 to use a local worktop company, so it's probably worth shopping around for some more quotes.

I have tried three local companies for quotes for Silestone. Two have replied, and both are slightly more expensive that DIY-kitchens.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    I'm still wondering what to do about getting blinds fitted above quartz worktop.

Presumably it would help to get the fitter to use a board to spread their weight, rather than having it all in one place.

The window on one side is above the sink, so this will be cut out.

The other window is next to the hob which will also be cut out.

I will also check their public liability insurance.

Any other suggestions?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    I'm still wondering what to do about getting blinds fitted above quartz worktop.

Presumably it would help to get the fitter to use a board to spread their weight, rather than having it all in one place.

The window on one side is above the sink, so this will be cut out.

The other window is next to the hob which will also be cut out.

I will also check their public liability insurance.

Any other suggestions?

Yep...you and me both wondering about that still...
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Get the fittings for the blinds installed before the cabinets and the worktop go in.

then all they have to do is clip them in from a stool or work platform.

Should have done a proper plan and schedule of works for all these project rather than make it up as you go along.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    Get the fittings for the blinds installed before the cabinets and the worktop go in.

then all they have to do is clip them in from a stool or work platform.

Should have done a proper plan and schedule of works for all these project rather than make it up as you go along.

Do you have to work really hard at being stupid, or does it come naturally to you?

Obviously I cannot have the blinds made until the worktop is on, the wall and window cill is tiled and measured, and the blinds can then be made.

Which part of that do you find difficult to understand?

It is also obvious to anyone with more than one brain cell that, assuming the worktop will last for 10 years or more, the blinds will need to be removed and cleaned on various occasions. Or do you expect me to remove the worktop every time the blinds need to be cleaned?
  • nicka99
    nicka99 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    we have a cream quartz worktop from http://www.stone-circle.com/ and love it

yes, it can stain with some things if left for too long (red wine, tea, turmeric, rust to name a few), but nothing yet that hasnt come out again using some Cif (jif) and a non-stick scourer.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    nicka99 wrote: »
    we have a cream quartz worktop from http://www.stone-circle.com/ and love it

yes, it can stain with some things if left for too long (red wine, tea, turmeric, rust to name a few), but nothing yet that hasnt come out again using some Cif (jif) and a non-stick scourer.

I thought Cif was a scratchy paste? I've not used it since the 1980s or so when it was called Jif.

Does it not scratch the quartz?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport