PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Lauralozzle
    Lauralozzle Posts: 719 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm in again this month. Last month was a disaster.

My budget for June is £250

Did a big shop yesterday - lots of fruit and veg and some treats, also some lawn feed as mine is looking a little dead. Should last us a good while and future shops should be much less expensive as the fridge/freezer is rammed.

Now at £98.48/£250
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First shop came in at £26 so £26/£120 so far.
  • kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    back in for another month - hopefully a bit more successful this month. :o:o so 5 weeks @ £100 = £500 for the month.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all

Last night I did my week 2 shop. I overspent. BUT as I was going around I picked up quite a few unhealthy extras. I ended up putting them all back though, except for a tub each of "bacon" bits and crispy onion -you know, the salad toppers. didn't need them, was just excited to find them. So that was £3 wasted! Also they had TONS of fresh loaves from the bakery reduced, that they had sliced. I WISH my freezer wasn't so full! I bought 2 loaves at 50p and 60p - a malted grain and a whole seed, my two favourites. Can't believe how many there were!!

The other reason I went over was because of buying fruit, which I don't usually buy, but it was all the lovely soft fruits looking tempting, so I got flat peaches, apricots, nectarines and a pineapple for about £2.50.

It also turned out I had managed to run out of stock cubes, no idea how, so that was an extra £2.

I also got a 50p bottle of diet lemonade as discovered a bottle of the L1dl version of P1mms that mum had bought me when it was winter, so I had saved it, so I now have lemonade to go with it! Yay!

My budget is looking a touch scary at £15 for what should be 3 shops, but I do have some freezer meals and I also have a good stack of cheap recipes, so I'm not worried. My dry goods are all in decent shape and I have all the basics.

I have my tarragon soup for lunch on Saturday and Sunday, the remaining two portions have been squeezed into the freezer. I'm out for dinner Saturday night at my friends house, so will only need to take some wine, which I have in anyway.

For tea tonight and Sunday, I will probably have a bowl involving roast broccoli and cauliflower, with some beetroot and spinach and quinoa, and a tahini sauce. I may add tofu for a treat!

Meals next week will be this bowl again probably one more time, crunchy bulgar wheat salad, and squash balsamic and barley salad. On Weds for girls night I'll be doing sweet potato and coconut curry, which should have at least portion leftover.

I think then for week 3 I will focus on simple salads for lunch and have freezer stuff for tea with fresh veg, but will see what the weather does. It's much easier in winter when I do hearty soups for lunch so have the same every day for a week; trouble is I don't fancy them in summer!

................................£150 Budget
    Date.......Shop......Amount.....Remaining
    26 May.....Ocad0.......£45.31....£104.69
    26 May.....Co-0p.......£01.60....£103.09
    26 May.....Superdrug...£08.32.....£94.77
    26 May.....Lush........£06.25.....£88.52
    26 May.....M&S.........£05.00.....£83.52
    26 May.....A1di........£01.10.....£82.42
    29 May.....Tesc0.......£20.95.....£61.47
    29 May.....A1di........£07.15.....£54.32
    30 May.....T3sc0.......£09.24.....£45.08
    31 May.....T3sc0.......£01.30.....£43.78
    1 Jun......A1di........£03.17.....£40.61
    1 Jun......T3sc0.......£25.15.....£15.46

Date....Fresh/Frozen..Cupboard/Dry Goods..Cleaning/Toiletries..Treats..Bags
    26 May..£04.80........£08.26..............£32.25...............-.......£00.30
    26 May..£01.60........-...................-....................-.......-
    26 May..-.............-...................£08.32...............-.......-
    26 May..-.............-...................£06.25...............-.......-
    26 May..£05.00........-...................-....................-.......-
    26 May..£01.10........-...................-....................-.......-
    29 May..£13.05........£07.90..............-....................-.......-
    29 May..£04.57........£02.58..............-....................-.......-
    30 May..£02.10........£04.50..............-....................£2.59..£00.05
    31 May..£01.30........-...................-....................-.......-
    1 Jun...£03.17........-...................-....................-.......-
    1 Jun...£16.62........£08.48..............-....................-.......£00.05

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Spend of £21 this afternoon for me ... Of to ffoods tonight to get the rest of this weeks shop ... Not to bad considering what I got :)
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Spent £5.40 today.
    OH bought 8 packets of noodles he eats lots of, 4 tins of macaroni and cheese as well as some other things. The whole shop was his. I bought enough veg etc yesterday.

£77.65/£150.
    £72.35 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in again this month. Last month was a disaster.

Me too! Months before May were about £350, May for some reason was over £500!! Really don't know what happened there...

Anyway, back in for £400 for June. Swotting up on Thrifty Lesley's meal plans!
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Until my finalised Mr T and Mr M food shops come tomorrow, and I go and pick up the HB, Savers, Iceland and Fruit and Veg that I always get separately, here is how my spends stand:

Milk and Bread £2.58
    OH's over the counter medication £6.38!!
    Crisps, Pizza for OH, Bolognese Sauce, Grapes, Cucumber £7.34
    Pizza for me, YS donuts and Coke Zero £4.24

Total spends £20.54/£200, just over 10% and I am a week into the challenge, too bad the spending is going to sky rocket tomorrow!!

I have been thinking about what people include in their budgets. OH and I do include alcohol in our food shopping budget, but we don't really drink much so that's why it works for us. We include all cleaning products, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, toothpaste and deodorant and over the counter type medications such as lemsip and the like.

I did use to buy my own toilletries but have moved them to the grocery budget, and the deodorant being included is also a new addition.

OH is a fussy eater, and eats meat and the only fish he will eat is scampi. He also drinks pint after pint of milk.

I am a pescetarian, and pretty much the only things I will not eat are meat and tinned macaroni cheese. I love cooking new and interesting dishes, and OH likes not being forced to eat strange new things, so we struggle a bit.

We both eat a mainly vegetarian diet as it is easy for us.

I say all this because I have seen some people say things like 'this comes out of my spending money because OH hates them...' which in the grand scheme of things makes sense, but since pretty much all my most favourite foods are the thing OH hates most means if we did that we would have a grocery budget of about £50 but neither of us would have any spending money left.

One thing I can say is that all eating out/takeaway things come out of our own personal spending money, but last month we used what we saved on the food shopping budget for May on a night out.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First grocery spend of the month, £85 down, spent on most of the main meals for the next week. But I'll have to do a L!DLs shop tomorrow to get in lunchbox things for our guests, so that'll push the total up a bit. If I judge it right, though, I won't have to go down there again during their stay. I'll also need to go to W8rose for some decent apples; the ones on the market this morning looked a tad over-ripe & I doubt they'd keep.
    Angie - GC May 24 £50.58/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    £30.60 spent so far this month and not much of it on real food. :o This did include a Chinese takeaway as a treat which wasn't very nice :(

I am away from Sunday to Friday next week and DS will be staying with DMIL due to DH's shifts so I just need to get quick and easy stuff in for him to eat when he gets in. He said he will make his sandwiches but I have offered to make them and put them in the freezer before I go.

I will leave him some cash to cover a kebab, a few beers and in case he forgets his lunch.

My stomach has not felt 'right' over the last few weeks and I have been really tired so I am planning to overhaul my diet when I get back from my trip and keep a track of what I eat and how my body reacts in case it is something in particular affecting me.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills