When things hit rock bottom the only answer is to fight the way back up...

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I work in the B postcode but live in M . Had to go into work at short notice .
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    I work in the B postcode but live in M . Had to go into work at short notice .

Wow you're so close!
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, I've been reading your diary since yesterday (i'm only on page 35) and I just want to say how brilliantly you're doing. I shall go back and read the rest of your diary later.

Just a thing I keep noticing you say is that you pay for DS dinner money. I know that Reception and Key Stage 1 get a free lunch but isnt your son entitled to free school meals? . I'm a primary school teacher (I teach Year 1) and even if your child is in Rec/KS1 you should still fill a form in (if you fit into the criteria below) available in school which gives the school extra money to support your child e.g. with extra support if they are struggling, payment towards an after school club if you cant afford to pay it and even towards school trips. It's called Pupil Premium in school and helps children whose parents are in the armed forces and children who are fostered - as well as children who need academic support.

Your child might be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
    Income Support
    income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
    Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
    Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
    Universal Credit

Please look into this when they go back to school in September. £25 a month is a big chunk of your budget.

Louby
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    We are having a right lazy one. I might leave the food shop till tomorrow. Nothing we need today anyway.

Cleaning and baking day sounds better. Need to clean the big bins out now they're all empty. Nice :cool:
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    louby40 wrote: »
    Hello, I've been reading your diary since yesterday (i'm only on page 35) and I just want to say how brilliantly you're doing. I shall go back and read the rest of your diary later.

Just a thing I keep noticing you say is that you pay for DS dinner money. I know that Reception and Key Stage 1 get a free lunch but isnt your son entitled to free school meals? . I'm a primary school teacher (I teach Year 1) and even if your child is in Rec/KS1 you should still fill a form in (if you fit into the criteria below) available in school which gives the school extra money to support your child e.g. with extra support if they are struggling, payment towards an after school club if you cant afford to pay it and even towards school trips. It's called Pupil Premium in school and helps children whose parents are in the armed forces and children who are fostered - as well as children who need academic support.

Your child might be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
    Income Support
    income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
    Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
    Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
    Universal Credit

Please look into this when they go back to school in September. £25 a month is a big chunk of your budget.

Louby

DD gets free school dinners she goes into year 2 when they go back. DS goes into year 4 though so hasn't ever had school dinners. I think it's because we had working tax credit maybe?

Thank you for stopping in :D

Which reminds me school dinners have gone up slightly so I will have to find out exactly how much they are now so I'm not underpaying when he starts back. DD wants to go on pack lunches though.
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We are having a right lazy one. I might leave the food shop till tomorrow. Nothing we need today anyway.

Cleaning and baking day sounds better. Need to clean the big bins out now they're all empty. Nice :cool:

Your day sounds much like mine!
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whats Australian crunch HI? I feel inspired and might make some oat biscuits this afternoon... that is a might though :rotfl:

Hope the water sorts out soon xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Whats Australian crunch HI? I feel inspired and might make some oat biscuits this afternoon... that is a might though :rotfl:

Hope the water sorts out soon xx

It's to die for :rotfl: I never really touch what we bake/make but this I just can't help myself, reminds me of being small at my grandparents :o

225 g (8 oz) margarine
    150 g (5 oz) caster sugar
    75 g (3 oz) desiccated coconut
    75 g (3 oz) crushed Cornflakes
    1 x 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp) cocoa powder, sieved
    150 g (5 oz) Be-Ro Self Raising Flour
    100 g (4 oz) chocolate melted (optional)

1 Heat oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, Gas Mark 4. Grease a Swiss roll tin 31 x 21 cm (12½ x 8 inch).
    2 Melt the margarine over a low heat.
    3 Stir in the sugar, coconut, cornflakes, cocoa and flour. Mix well.
    4 Turn into the tin and level with a knife. Bake for 20 minutes.
    5 When almost cold cut into squares or triangles.
    6 Cover with melted chocolate if wished.
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ohhh will have a go at it HI, don't have any cornflakes so can't today. Will report back!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

• missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Omg that sounds delish, wondering if I can squeeze value cornflakes into my budget!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure