Debenhams Flowers customers hit by cyber-attack

2»

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Annoyed69 wrote: »
    I too have had a rather annoying reply from Debenhams, as other posters have noted they are just brushing this off, they even had the cheek to say at the end of the mail it was just out of courtesy they made contact, I have requested the exact details of the Ecomnova, which seems to have a few other customers, what other websites use their services for E-Commerce? , see below standard response from Debenhams and my rather un-courteousness reply to this,

Thank you for your email.

Debenhams has recently contacted all customers whose data may have been breached when using the Debenhams Flowers website, operated by our supplier Ecomnova.
    If you have received a communication directly from us, please follow all the steps that are outlined in the letter or email to protect yourself against fraud and identity theft. If you have not received an email or letter directly from us, please be assured that this incident affects recent customers of Debenhams Flowers only (through our supplier Ecomnova). All other customers or orders placed on the Debenhams website are unaffected.
    If you still have concerns about your security, please contact your bank/credit card provider directly and Action Fraud, the UK?s national fraud and internet crime reporting centre, on 0300 123 2040 or online at /report_fraud[
    We appreciate that this has caused you a great deal of concern, but this was a breach by our supplier, Ecomnova and one that we take very seriously. As soon as the breach was identified, Debenhams took all the appropriate action, informed the necessary parties and identified and contacted anyone who may have been affected as a courtesy.
    If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,
    Tatwisha
    Debenhams Customer Services

Hi

Thanks for the rather standard letter, we have followed the procedures as per your letter, and this does exonerate Debenhams from their overall responsibility to towards their customers , albeit by name.

But you really need to a little more conscientious on sending out emails that state you only informed us of a matter of “Courtesy” that in itself is quite inflammatory

Please inform myself of the exact address of who I need to send a solicitors letter to.

I will also be passing your “Courteous” email below to Moneys Savings Expert, it will be posted on social media and passed to any Ombudsman that I deem fit to read, out of “courtesy” of course

Regards

"Moneys Saving Expert" may suggest that it is your email that is inflammatory, and a significant overreaction.

What has your [STRIKE]pretend[/STRIKE] solicitor advised?
  • Annoyed69
    Annoyed69 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Have you suffered any financial loss that requires the need for getting a solicitor involved at this stage?

None yet, but have some spurious transactions that should get refunded, just gauging their reply re the threat of "solicitors", legally of course they can just pass the buck, Ecomnova has limited funds according to Companies House so there will be nothing to contest as they will probably just liquidate, and any fines imposed do not help the customers, this area does really need a shake up, you can get compensation if your train is delayed but you cannot claim a thing if your bank account is hacked due to negligence or insecure systems, madness, I am not looking for compensation and if Debenhams had not put the "courteous" line in their email I probably would not have even posted this.
  • Annoyed69
    Hi, It is meant to be inflammatory, is not that the whole point of complaints, and per the other post re financial loss, the email is to create a reaction, it is not acceptable anymore for companies just to brush off complaints as "just one of things", apologies if you can take offence to my "pretend" solicitor, sometimes complaints are from frustration and we don't need comments that put down the real issue here,
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,668
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi, It is meant to be inflammatory, is not that the whole point of complaints, and per the other post re financial loss, the email is to create a reaction, it is not acceptable anymore for companies just to brush off complaints as "just one of things", apologies if you can take offence to my "pretend" solicitor, sometimes complaints are from frustration and we don't need comments that put down the real issue here,

Have you ever heard of the expression 'you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar' ?
  • IAmWales

The only thing your email is going to create is some laughter in the customer service department. They know you won't be instructing a solicitor because the cost would outweigh any award, they know you're not going to the ombudsman because you can't even name the right one.

I'd let it go, not because these things do not need to be looked into (I'm sure Debenhams will already be doing this), but because you've made yourself look foolish.
  • Annoyed69
    You know (well spotted by the way) , I know , the forum and the CS Team know I have no intention of instructing a solicitor, if my email made them laugh then all good because it has obviously annoyed you, the only fool is one the that criticises the critique, have a good evening, and many thanks for the warm welcome to these forums, it is a shame that you cannot put more effort in pointing people in the right direction instead of childish insults, you are clearly not a "fighter" for rights and clearly underestimate the power of group pressure, shall I send you bunch of flowers from Debenham's to calm you down.
    IAmWales wrote: »
    The only thing your email is going to create is some laughter in the customer service department. They know you won't be instructing a solicitor because the cost would outweigh any award, they know you're not going to the ombudsman because you can't even name the right one.

I'd let it go, not because these things do not need to be looked into (I'm sure Debenhams will already be doing this), but because you've made yourself look foolish.
  • IAmWales
    You know (well spotted by the way) , I know , the forum and the CS Team know I have no intention of instructing a solicitor, if my email made them laugh then all good because it has obviously annoyed you, the only fool is one the that criticises the critique, have a good evening, and many thanks for the warm welcome to these forums, it is a shame that you cannot put more effort in pointing people in the right direction instead of childish insults, you are clearly not a "fighter" for rights and clearly underestimate the power of group pressure, shall I send you bunch of flowers from Debenham's to calm you down.

I'm not annoyed at all, I have nothing to be annoyed about. I've simply given constructive feedback on how best to make effective complaints in future. Group power can be very effective, but any action will only work if it is constructive and informed, two things your email were not.

Thanks for the offer of flowers, very kind!
  • Annoyed69
    No problem, I am glad you have calmed down a bit, many thanks for your comments, and you are right I don't know which Ombudsman it is, have a good evening
    IAmWales wrote: »
    I'm not annoyed at all, I have nothing to be annoyed about. I've simply given constructive feedback on how best to make effective complaints in future. Group power can be very effective, but any action will only work if it is constructive and informed, two things your email were not.

Thanks for the offer of flowers, very kind!
  • I got caught in this and had to cancel my card while in Spain, meaning I was out of the country and without my card. A pain.

I emailed a polite, straightforward moan to Debenhams and received the following reply.....Nice of them to take the time to get the grammar correct.

DG

Dear Mr Gxxxx,

Our reference: xxxxxx
    Thank you for your email.

Allow me to commence by apologizing for impact that has inconvenienced you.

With regards to compensation, I can advise that due to the situation at hand and the steps we have established, is to ensure no further customers are at potential risk of any more data being breached.

We are still investigating the matter so right now our priority is informing and protecting all customers and advising them of the immediate steps to take if they suspect any fraudulent activity.

I appreciate the time you have taken to advise us of this and we are doing everything we can do stabilize the outcome.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Ethan
    Debenhams Customer Services
  • My bank account was wiped out yesterday through a series of online purchases in America, a total of £1500. I have been left with access to no funds for my direct debits that came out today and have no funds for going to Tenerife tomorrow. Debenhams Flowers have sent me the standard response that everyone else has had but I have replied saying I want to make a formal complaint and the matter investigated as they were responsible for my bank details. I have advised them that I will be seeking legal advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure