Plusnet Fibre Speeds??

Options

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Did it chaneg then as I'm sure there was no 40/10 previously.

And bah the second 80/40 was clearly a typo since i got it right first time!

It could have changed since I signed up 2 years ago.

40/10 was the first product offered by Openreach back when they used the 8b profile, before implementing 17a which allows them to offer speeds of up to 80/20.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    I am also on their 76/20 product:

6262057693.png
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Speeds of around 5Mbps on fibre, really amaze me.

We are in a city, but have only a promise of 2-7, on ADSL, for our property and I thought 4-5 was poor from PlusNet's ADSL,after having a fairly regular 6.4 from Sky. (We have no fibre yet. It's always in a few month's time.)
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Speeds of around 5Mbps on fibre, really amaze me.

We are in a city, but have only a promise of 2-7, on ADSL, for our property and I thought 4-5 was poor from PlusNet's ADSL,after having a fairly regular 6.4 from Sky. (We have no fibre yet. It's always in a few month's time.)

I'm afraid that it's all down to the laws of physics. The longer the line from the cabinet (VDSL/FTTC) or exchange (ADSL) then the slower the speed.

VDSL/FTTC drops off more quickly than ADSL due to the greater bandwidth that it requires. If you are 3km from the cabinet, then VDSL can only manage 9Mb.
  • Mister_G
    edited 1 May 2017 at 2:30PM
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    So am I right to expect a premises that is good on ADSL gets good on fibre?

If modern build on new in town estate

Generally, yes, but it all depends on how far you are from the cabinet. If the cabinet is close to the exchange and you are some distance from the cabinet then you can find that VDSL (FTTC) is actually slower than ADSL.

The best thing to use is the BTW ADSL checker

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker
  • bones85
    bones85 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    using that ADSL checker is that maximum speed i would get?
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's the estimated speed, yes.
  • ossie48
    ossie48 Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    70 download 19 upload

Far more reliable and stable than the Virgin cable I had previously which was up and down like a fiddlers elbow....Box is about 1000 metres from the front door.
  • Mister_G
    Options
    ossie48 wrote: »
    70 download 19 upload

Far more reliable and stable than the Virgin cable I had previously which was up and down like a fiddlers elbow....Box is about 1000 metres from the front door.

You are doing exceptionally well with that speed if you really are 1000m from the cabinet. :)

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2013/chart-bt-fttc-vdsl2-speed-against-distance
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DavidP24 - I may have missed it, but can you confirm that your friends' neighbours' speed has actually been tested properly, ie, that the modem is plugged into the master socket, and we're testing over ethernet? None of that would be Plusnet's fault.
    Speed is about length and quality of metal cable. The further it has to go, the slower your connection will be. That's ADSL. Fibre means the cabinet in your street is connected to the exhange via fibre optical cable - this allows vastly longer distances/higher speeds. But you're still connected via metal cables to the cabinet. Much shorter than ADSL in general, but it still counts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure