Plusnet Fibre Speeds??

Options
DavidP24
DavidP24 Posts: 957 Forumite
edited 6 August 2017 at 11:09PM in Broadband & internet access
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, porro legendos dissentiet sed ne, pri id postea theophrastus. Altera consequat ne duo, est ei vivendo scaevola. Aeque oblique interesset no !!!. Eu sumo theophrastus sit, augue solet no vel, pro in adipisci pertinacia. Pri probatus principes posidonium et, id tation nostrud dissentiet quo.

Vix torquatos referrentur ne, quodsi melius an eos, ei illum dicam his. Et assum tamquam delenit vim, qui quis congue partiendo cu. In nam debet mentitum, euismod atomorum te usu. His nusquam delicata senserit in, eos ut virtute equidem accumsan.

Ea augue aliquip suavitate sit, sea ei agam qualisque consequuntur. Nec postea tamquam graecis in. Oratio scaevola te nam. Ut nisl legere dolorum pro. Sea no melius sententiae, eam ei alienum mediocritatem.

Eam impetus qualisque ei, autem affert sea ne. Et nihil nullam !!!, vim te sale dictas. At quem mnesarchum eos. Quo quod bonorum tacimates ei, summo di!!!! est cu.

Sumo summo pericula quo in, has ex autem partiendo voluptaria. An !!! oporteat platonem dissentiunt, ullum utinam docendi mei at. Option elaboraret contentiones te his, vim accusamus splendide in. Inani nostrud suscipiantur at pro, ea mei impetus fabulas saperet, eam primis oblique invenire ex. Dico tempor veritus pri no.
Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !

Comments

• zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That is Plusnet's basic upload speed, the down load speed should be faster. What were they promised from Plusnet?

If your in roadside different cabinets the speeds will be different.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, on their 38Mb product the upload is only 2Mb. I know because I used to have it.

I moved to Origin and now get 3Mb. Not great, but my line length means I only get 17Mb on fibre anyway. My ADSL used to be 1.5Mb, so quite an improvement!.

I think that your friend must have a problem as they should certainly be getting better speeds on fibre, assuming that they are not too far from the cabinet.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    Well that is good to know about Plusnet, being rubbish
    Depends on a lot of factors and which product they are on, I get 75Mbps download and 20Mbps upload on Plusnet.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Openreach offer only 2 adsl products

40/2 and 80/20.

Therefore the 40/10 etc options are using the 80/20 product and capping the download.

Plusnet is budget so won't put you on a product you are not paying for.

I am on them with 80/40 as I need upload as I often work from home. Though I seldon getr above 40mb download (As such it is complex to get on it and you have to ask!).

In FTTC being nextdoot to each other means noithing as the copper to the cabinet could take a very different path. So speeds are variaqble by house.

They would likely get the same download on BT, though BT subsidise the product and give a better upload.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Openreach offer only 2 adsl products

40/2 and 80/20.

Therefore the 40/10 etc options are using the 80/20 product and capping the download.

Plusnet is budget so won't put you on a product you are not paying for.

I am on them with 80/40 as I need upload as I often work from home. Though I seldon getr above 40mb download (As such it is complex to get on it and you have to ask!).

In FTTC being nextdoot to each other means noithing as the copper to the cabinet could take a very different path. So speeds are variaqble by house.

They would likely get the same download on BT, though BT subsidise the product and give a better upload.

Not quite.

Openreach offer 5 VDSL (not ADSL) options.

18/2
    40/2
    40/10
    55/10
    80/20

There is no 80/40 product.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    lee111s wrote: »
    Not quite.

18/2
    40/2
    40/10
    55/10
    80/20

Did it chaneg then as I'm sure there was no 40/10 previously.

And bah the second 80/40 was clearly a typo since i got it right first time!

It could have changed since I signed up 2 years ago.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,281 Forumite
    edited 30 April 2017 at 6:50PM
    Options
    lee111s wrote: »
    Not quite.

18/2
    40/2
    40/10
    55/10
    80/20

And if you are on a line that BDUK did the fibre side ( eg EO line) then you can also have 30/6. although you have to sign up to a 40/10 product in the full knowledge that you can never achieve that even if you live next door to the exchange and cabinet
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    40/10 seems fair, how do they ask for that?

Does it need them to be connected to the door with fibre?

Does fibre work in the same way as ADSL where they do profiling?

40/10 is a standard VDSL option that has been available since VDSL was first launched in the UK. It comes down a normal phone line and most fibre ISPs use it. Plusnet are unusual in offering the 40/2 option. I have no idea if they also offer 40/10, they aren't an ISP I would consider using.

You can go up to 80/20 on VDSL using the standard phone line, though there are trials of faster services using that line without needing fibre to the premises.

The average punter, of the kind that buys on price and would be attracted by Plusnet (there is certainly no other reason to use them), will look at the headline download speed, and not consider upload.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was with Plusnet FTTC, I never got above 6.5Mbps Download and 0.5 Up. I complained endlessly about dropouts, had 5 engineer visits, none of which made any difference. I changed to Sky (TV, Bband and Calls) and, after some similar problems, Sky sent a different engineer who fitted a new shielded line and new BT boxes. Now I get 13 Mbps Down and 0.75 Up, which is the highest speed of anyone I know in this rural location, almost at the end of a long run from the Fibre cabinet.

Plusnet cap you! That has to be true IMHO. You get what you pay for, they say, but a neighbour has a more expensive BT Home Hub service and gets less than me.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Plusnet don't apply any capping. You get what the product you are on and the line can deliver. I think their half speed FTTC only delivers 38/2 though. It used to be 40/10 but they stopped offering that some time ago. I have their 76/20 product. At 350m from the cabinet I see close to that virtually any time. (I used to run a SamKnows box which confirmed that.)

6261936172.png

It's a shame that just about all the ISPs keep fairly quiet about the upstream they provide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure