Sky £10 "admin fee"

in Phones & TV
30 replies 20.5K views
I'm currently in discussion with Sky regarding my TV package from 7th May when my existing package with it's discounted subscription rate ends. This process is flagging up loads of concerns to me about how Sky act, and I wondered if anyone else agreed or had similar experiences, or had any thoughts on how I should progress the issue.

Sky haven't notified me of their plan to assume I would like to keep the same package as now but at the full price (!!) other than taking a DD for the vastly increased amount at the end of April - the price they were assuming I would pay was exactly double what I was paying before then.

Main concern here - is this practice all OK and covered by the DD Guarantee? I don't see how it is, the Guarantee specifically says I should be given 10 days notification of any changes.

Secondly, Sky have offered me a new discounted rate which is £3 per month more than I was paying last year (approx 8% rise) and a credit to go through in May to effectively balance out the excess DD they took in April but say I must pay a NON NEGOTIABLE £10 "admin fee" presumably to cover the cost of them providing such a deal making operation ........ I have refused and have escalated the issue within the Retentions Dept.

I'm told that this charge has been in effect for approx 2 months now, but having again had no communication from Sky re this, my concern here is the sheer cheek and arrogance of their assertion that it's OK to charge people who have the temerity to speak out and agree something different!!

I'm looking forward to hearing of any similar concerns, experiences and advice of what to do next.

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    They don't have to advise you that your discount has ended (it's not a price increase). It's up to you to track when it finishes.

The £10 admin fee was introduced a short while back (for everybody, it's not aimed at you personally) and some people have had luck in getting it waived.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cunning one by Murdoch is this: £10pa per customer adds up to a nice little earner (across 12m customers) of £120m extra revenue pa, if each customer does an upgrade once a year.
    I'd counter it by saying that you are happy to pay the £10 fee (as it's 'non-negotiable'), but you would like a £10 credit in return (which is also non negotiable).
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    macman wrote: »
    Cunning one by Murdoch is this: £10pa per customer adds up to a nice little earner (across 12m customers) of £120m extra revenue pa, if each customer does an upgrade once a year.
    They won't be getting anywhere near that, of course, because only a tiny proportion of customers accept a retentions deal. I'm also not sure how this is "extra" revenue, as it applies to discounted subscriptions.
  • mije1983mije1983 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather pay a £10 admin fee and £30 a month rather than £0 admin fee and £80+ a month. I suppose at least they are being upfront about it. They could have hidden it by reducing the maximum discount or credit available.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not cancel and go to switch off, as that's how you get the best deals?
  • edited 5 May 2017 at 10:05AM
    macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2017 at 10:05AM
    They won't be getting anywhere near that, of course, because only a tiny proportion of customers accept a retentions deal. I'm also not sure how this is "extra" revenue, as it applies to discounted subscriptions.

Thanks, I wasn't aware that this was only charged on retention deals. However it's still a devious bit of smoke and mirrors. A bit like their 'monthly charge for not having Sky TV', which I gave short shrift to when they tried to hit me with that.
    If you ring up to add services and spend more, then the 'admin' involved will still be the same-yet no admin charge. How surprising!
    Last time around I spent nearly half an hour asking them to match another offer, which required them to reduce my bill by £4 monthly. Point blank refusal. I said that in that case I would be giving my notice. At which point the agent immediately said 'how about a £50 credit on your account instead?' Which left them £2 poorer...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • brewerdavebrewerdave Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    My s-i-l did the usual annual "waltz with Sky" yesterday as he is in the last month of his deal.....after a few minutes on the phone toing and froing, he said he would cancel unless he got the same deal as last year.
    Away goes the agent "to speak to his manager"..comes back with the required offer..then as they are confirming everything ,he throws in the £10 admin fee...cue for s-i-l to reissue cancellation request ...immediate surrender by agent ! WHY OH WHY are Sky being so petty?
  • I have/had Sky TV, Broadband & Sky Talk

Broadband could only give me 4.5Meg speed on a good day but lately, nearly 2 weeks, speed is down to 2.5-3.5 (stop laughing)so I contacted Sky and was told that they know there are problems in the area and investigating. Long story short BT can give me Faster Broadband ie 9 Meg min so being out of contract I have voted with my feet and left Sky. No problem here ...however.
    Called Sky to see if I stay with them for their TV package, also out of contract, or go with BT. They offer me SKY Q 2 TB box and Q mini for £65 and £50 as well as me up grading my package by another £12.00 for movies. All still good and not a bad Idea I hear you all say...
    Going through the list of costs the sales person stammers and there will be a £10 admin fee.
    So if you are thinking of Upgrading your package beware SKY will stick you with a £10 charge for the pleasure of being "given a discount" .
    Told them (politley) to stick it up their a~~e. Cancelled TV as well.:mad:
  • MchambersMchambers Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    As you have cancelled TV, you will get at least a 50% deal with your TV as long as you have marketing turned on your account. Try Sky web chat as well as they will offer you at least a 50% off deal and they should refund the admin charge as well.

If they don't refund the £10 admin charge, then complain to their CEO via email. You will probably have to wait for a few days for a response. For me, they refunded me £10.

Sky are playing some very silly games at the moment.
  • Slightly dubious that BT can offer you faster speeds than Sky. Both Sky and BT use the same network.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides