Freesat TV

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I drilled extra ventilation holes in the part of the box that is now at the top, so heat does not collect inside the Freesat box.
    Definitely immediately voiding any warranty, of course.

2ur3rdc.jpgTinypic[/QUOTE]
    That looks well dodgy to me:eek:

Also note that the decoder is designed to operate horizontally, not vertically
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you certain that your satellite dish has enough outputs to drive this Freesat TV? Do you have cable(s) to the kitchen?

Aerial engineer was here yesterday and installed new cables from the satellite dish.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    As "A Penny Saved" said, are you intending running this off a satellite dish which is also connected to your main TV? If so, do you have a suitable LNB on your dish to allow enough cable runs?

You might be better advised to save money by buying a Freeview TV and simply install an aerial. The channels offered by both Freeview and Freesat are broadly similar.

I'm not sure that is a safe solution because both the TV and decoder will produce heat which will need to be adequately ventilated. I would expect the lifespans of both pieces of equipment to be significantly reduced by your arrangement.

My main TV is Freeview. There was an existing dish when I moved into this house, on the wall near the kitchen, so it seemed a good idea to use it when my kitchen is being done. This will be the only TV from the dish.

I don't understand the point about the heat. Can you clarify?
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,057 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We have a Freesat Samsung TV on the bedroom wall which is 36" I think. There was some difficulty in finding a Freesat TV.

Two cables into it as we also have a PVR for recording programmes.

The channels available from Freesat and Freeview do vary considerably. With Freesat regional programmes are available for the whole of the UK so tonight I could avoid Beechgrove Garden if I wanted to for a different programme or I can watch regional news from other regions.

Freesat hasn't got 'national' Scottish channels like BBC Alba or the new STV2 (was STV Glasgow) etc and there are various other obscure ones not on Freeview.

Mind you, where I am Freeview only gives very few channels!
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2017 at 8:48PM
    Options
    Some TV's which have USB sockets can also play video and audio so you could watch a movie from a usb stick. Something to consider.

That TV I linked above might be able to play H.265/HEVC movies from usb. It is difficult to say for sure but it is meant to have a HEVC decoder so it might work. It might not be what you want unless you have a very long meal.

It sounds like you have sorted out the cables so that should not be a problem. It was just a thought in case you were using the satellite in the lounge and it only had 2 LNB outputs which might be used for a dual tuner satellite receiver. Then you would have to change the satellite LNB, the bit on the end of the satellite arm, for a quad output LNB.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 April 2017 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    I don't understand the point about the heat. Can you clarify?
    My replies in that post were to both you and the other poster who has bolted a decoder to the back of the TV. Both items get hot when in use and require adequate ventilation to work properly. See my other response in the thread.
    Annie1960 wrote: »
    There was an existing dish when I moved into this house, on the wall near the kitchen, s
    Do ensure that dish (and it's LNB) are in usable condition before purchasing a Freesat TV or decoder. If it's old, it may require replacement, in which case I'd simply get another Freeview aerial.
  • Annie1960
    Options
    My replies in that post were to both you and the other poster who has bolted a decoder to the back of the TV. Both items get hot when in use and require adequate ventilation to work properly. See my other response in the thread.

Do ensure that dish (and it's LNB) are in usable condition before purchasing a Freesat TV or decoder. If it's old, it may require replacement, in which case I'd simply get another Freeview aerial.

The aerial installer tested the dish before running a new aerial point.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Niv wrote: »
    Me too except that would provide freeview not freesat

But not restricted to broadcast schedules which may not coincide with your time in the room.

All the catch up stuff and how handy to be able to use youtube.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    The channels available from Freesat and Freeview do vary considerably.
    Freesat hasn't got 'national' Scottish channels like BBC Alba

BBC Alba and S4C are both on Freesat. STV Glasgow isn't. The other main one missing of Freesat is Dave.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,679 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've recently been looking for a domestic freesat tv, to go in a caravan, and haven't found any 'small' ones.

This one appears to be 24" screen 12-volt supply and mains

https://www.amazon.co.uk/REFLEXION-LDD2471-SATELLITE-FREEVIEW-MOTORHOME/dp/B00I9WN0JY
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure